View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pilsner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: OpenGL on Xpress 200m Reply with quote

Hello.
Has anyone been able to make Xpress 200m 5955 chipset work with OpengGL / DRI ? Mostly I filnd mixed results on the internet with unresolved bug beng filed ages ago to ATI. starting X server without NoDRI option crashes OS, it freezes. However from time to time there are some reportrs of success with 3D hardware acceleration on that hardware.

For example - http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/HP, for notebook nx6125 says "Good OpenGL performance (even with compiz-fusion/AIGLX)."

If someone has made it work, please share how you achived that: which ati-drivers versions, kernel versions, grub parameters, etc.
dnadesign
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chipset is bogus. I always had to make a choice: either DRI or composite and compiz/beryl/fusion. You might want to try the newest ATI drivers with AIGLX and DRI enabled, but it's just more and more problems.
Sadly I solved the problem on my own: bought a notbook with a nvidia card.

EDIT: Good OpenGL performance? Not...

EDIT2: Did you check http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AIGLX with the newest ATI drivers?
wltjr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had DRI working for days with my 5955 xpress200m. Even on dual desktops I have DRI, for quite some time. Now xv support has been non-existant. I can't really watch video very well :( Need to look into that, but not DRI related.

No such luck with beryl or compiz, only had that running on xgl. However the latest ati-drivers-8.471.3, with a 2.6.24 kernel, and 1.4 server/7.2 x11 (dual desktops doesn't work on 1.4/7.3 atm) plus metacity-2.22.0. Gives me my first composite desktop without xgl ;) I have shadows, transparency etc with Metacity. I guess I could run compiz or beryl now as well. But I don't really care about that stuff that much. Mainly just ability to run like avant-window-navigator. The rest are bonuses.

Anyway here is my config, nothing to special. But again I have not had any problems with DRI for quite some time. Although speeds have been all over the place.
http://dev.gentoo.org/~wltjr/misc/ati_xpress200m_dual_desktops_xorg.conf
dnadesign
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I remember I had a similar issue with Xv once I've got AIGLX running, but then again the OpenGL video renderer did quite a good job on AIGLX. Don't remember if I used gl or gl2 in mplayer though...
Pilsner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: OpenGL on Xpress 200m Reply with quote

Now, I did manage to have X server start with DRI enabled. I achieved that by

1. getting rid of redeon framebuffer, both as an option to kernel cmd line to make framebuffer console, and disabling radeon fb in kernel. Had to recompile kernel of course.
2. making new xorg.conf by running "X -configure" and elaborating over it.

Now, i run ati-drivers 8.471.3, fglrx + 2.6.24-gentoo-r4.

Can't say what exactly make it work, though.

Currently I have 2 issue, 1 serious and 1 non-serious

a) xv overlay does not work well, as I see it already happened to some of you.
b) lots of crapy AIGLX warnings in Xorg.0.log

AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x11

So, do you recommend to re-compile mplayer with opengl overlay ?
dnadesign
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the first part: it was probably the framebuffer's fault, don't remember which how-to described it, but there was a notice to disable the radeon framebuffer support in the kernel before instaling those ATI drivers... Whatever...

As for the second part of your post: yes, you can re-emerge mplayer with opengl support. It should work fine with AIGLX, as I was using it for quite some time, before I changed my notebook.
Pilsner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: OpenGL on Xpress 200m Reply with quote

In fact opengl overlay was too slow, so I had to re-compile mplayer with sdl support. That vo driver let me watch movie, normally.

And btw what all those settings mean. Where can I read about them. Just wondering whether I should add the to my xorg.conf.

Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes"
Option "UseFastTLS" "2"
Option "BlockSignalsOnLock" "1"
Option "backingstore" "true"
Option "ForceGenericCPU" "no"
Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=1"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
spupy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I don't really understand - are DRI and(or?) OpenGL needed for Compiz?

I have Xpress 200M with Compiz on AIGLX, anyway.

EDIT: Yeah, can't watch video normally, too.
serial_penguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wltjr wrote:
I have had DRI working for days with my 5955 xpress200m. Even on dual desktops I have DRI, for quite some time. Now xv support has been non-existant. I can't really watch video very well :( Need to look into that, but not DRI related.

No such luck with beryl or compiz, only had that running on xgl. However the latest ati-drivers-8.471.3, with a 2.6.24 kernel, and 1.4 server/7.2 x11 (dual desktops doesn't work on 1.4/7.3 atm) plus metacity-2.22.0. Gives me my first composite desktop without xgl ;) I have shadows, transparency etc with Metacity. I guess I could run compiz or beryl now as well. But I don't really care about that stuff that much. Mainly just ability to run like avant-window-navigator. The rest are bonuses.

Anyway here is my config, nothing to special. But again I have not had any problems with DRI for quite some time. Although speeds have been all over the place.
http://dev.gentoo.org/~wltjr/misc/ati_xpress200m_dual_desktops_xorg.conf

Just curious. Are you able to escape to the console (crtl-alt-F1) when running the ati-drivers? I have the WXGA monitor instead of WSXGA with the same xpress 200m and I've not been able to escape to the console since xorg 7.0. I get really strange colors instead of the console. And now with 7.2 googleearth is broken. Googleearth does work with the opensource drivers, although painstakingly slow.
Pilsner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: OpenGL on Xpress 200m Reply with quote

as to me I am able to switch to console with Ctrl + Alt + F1. I had problems with OSS radeon drivers doing that. Randomly console colors did scramble so I had to reset notebook monitor to recover console look.
Now I have DRI working good, glxgears shows 1040 fps, so the only problem is annoying messages on AIGLX, hopefully that won't affect compiz-fusion when I install it.
dnadesign
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the OSS radeon drivers don't give the 3D kick, that you have in the proprietary ATI drivers. I only managed to get 3D acceleration with those drivers once and it was on Ubuntu. Don't know what they did to those drivers, but I never actually managed to get it running on Gentoo.
Once I did get everything running (DRI, Compiz/Beryl, opengl overlay v2 [in mplayer notation]) except for the xv. Xv worked fine with Xgl, when redirected to the pbuffer.

A little OT, but not quite. :P Does anyone know of a web page that would tell which Xorg settings are most suitable for different video card/drivers? If not it could be worth to make some research and create such a page.
K T A
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a HP nx6325 notebook, containig a 200m, and I have DRI, composite (metycity 2.20) and xv working very well together. As for performance: I can play civ 4 using wine and watch HD-video with xv accel. I run gentoo-sources-2.6.24-r4 and the latest ati-drivers. I tried the oss driver but it gave me alot of trouble related to the shared memory. If needed I can provide some config files when I'm back home...

KTA
Pilsner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: xorg.conf glossary needed Reply with quote

totally agree to that. There should be a single source for all things xorg.conf related. Some glossary of terms, explaining meaning of this and that oprion. And then examples of tuning for different drivers.

K T A wrote:
I got a HP nx6325 notebook, containig a 200m, and I have DRI, composite (metycity 2.20) and xv working very well together. As for performance: I can play civ 4 using wine and watch HD-video with xv accel. I run gentoo-sources-2.6.24-r4 and the latest ati-drivers. I tried the oss driver but it gave me alot of trouble related to the shared memory. If needed I can provide some config files when I'm back home...

KTA

Yeah, would be interesting to see that "magic" config. I've just modified my xorg.conf yet again adding few options. Glxgears fps increased by 40, howver mplayer still works well only with "-vo sdl".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: