Install power interrupt, LVM mounts not found[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Install power interrupt, LVM mounts not found[SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello all!

I was starting an install last night on a Compaq Proliant 7000 with 2 hardware RAID controllers. I had set up partitions (nonLVM) for / /boot and swap....all on one controller. I had one partition on this controller that was LVM dedicated. All the controller 2 were one big LVM.

I had successfully created all directories on the logical volumes per http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/lvm2.xml, (/usr, /var, /opt, /home, /tmp)....and mounted everything successfully, and chrooted into the environment.

I had continued with the install, and had gotten to the part where you grab the lastest version of portage....and then performed the emerge --sync to update portage. This had completed 100% .

At this point...power went out.

This morning...I fired up the machine...all appeared to have recovered successfully on the RAID arrays. I set up ssh again (I'm doing this install remotely)....I turned on swap. I was starting to mount the partitions again. I successfullly mounted the / /boot and was starting to mount the LVM volumes...and ran into problems.

I got this:

Code:
livecd ~ # mount /dev/vg/usr /mnt/gentoo/usr
mount: special device /dev/vg/usr does not exist

Now...I'm kinda stuck. Are these volumes gone? If I start again with the vgcreate and other commands...will that not delete any data that has been put there from unzipping Stage3 and portage?

Is there a way to recreate/remount the LVM volumes with the data already put on them...back to the state I was at before the power outage without starting from scratch?

Thanks in advance!

cayenne :roll:

Quote:
Turns out, I had to reactivate my volume group. While looking deeper into posts here, I found a command to use vgchange -a y <volume group>
I did a vgchange -a y vg and it came back to life...and I can start remounting and continue to install now it appears.

Hope maybe this helps someone else in the future,

cayenne

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: