Install Gentoo without touching MBR on Partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quo_vadis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Install Gentoo without touching MBR on Partition Reply with quote

Hi,

Is it possible to install Linux on a partition on a disk containing windows
in such a way as to not login through the GRUB/LILO OS selection screen.

To clarify, I have a system with Windows on it. If I install linux (want to try Gentoo) on a partition on the disk, is it possible to boot into Linux using a floppy disk only rather than the OS selection using GRUB/LILO. What I mean is set the BIOS to boot from floppy and if I put in a Linux floppy it should load Linux from my partition. If no boot device is found on floppy then it should automatically go into the windows default boot sequence without pausing or asking for a OS boot option (no boot: prompt ). Basically I dont want to touch the existing MBR so that if for anything I need to un-install Linux , I dont have to worry about doing anything about the boot sector.

What I need help with is: 1. Is this possible .
2. If it is then if I need to remove Linux from the machine how easy would it be to just delete the partition, reformat it and make it available to Windows.

I do hope I have been able to explain what I need. I am still a relative newbie to Linux. The reason for the procedure I require is that I am not the only one using the PC and I want to use Linux without disrupting anyones ususal procedures in any way. Also it gives me a chance to learn something new about Linux.

By the way, similar to the process above, if I want to load Linux on a USB hard drive rather than a partition what would be the difference in the procedure? I feel this is also a good option as I would be able to carry a linux system wherever I go and just plug it into a windows system and boot it from a floppy drive without touching any other OS installed over there. I feel using a floppy drive would be a better option as many systems will not have an option to boot from a USB device.

Thanks in advance for reading this message. I hope it hasnt been too rambling and has made what help I need clear.

I would also appreciate it if you gurus could point me out to anything specific to Gentoo which I would need to take care of.

Regards,

Quo
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to just use a floppy disk to boot into linux.
If you just want to toy around a bit at first I would even recommend it.

You can create linux partitions on your harddrive where windows is installed BUT you need free space on that harddrive.
With free space I mean space that is not partitioned yet so you can create some for linux.
It doesn't have to be that much.

If your motherboard supports booting from a USB drive then it should work and you should be able to boot from it.
quo_vadis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo without touching MBR Reply with quote

Hi Merlin-TC,

Yes, I do have free space on my HD and will be using PM to partition it for Linux installation. Before I do that however I want to get as much info as possible on the exact procedure to install under the following conditions:
1. No CDROM drive in the PC
2. Install Gentoo so that the GRUB/LILO OS selection prompt does not come up i.e. use a Boot floppy when I want to boot into Gentoo, otherwise the windows boot sequence should start automatically without any user prompt or GUI OS selection prompt.
3. In case I do have to uninstall Gentoo (if I manage to install it under above conditions) how do I go about it. The point about not touching the MBR is bcoz I feel it will simplify matters on an XP box as far as resetting the boot sector is concerned.
4. As an additional point, is it possible to install Gentoo as a dual boot with and NTFS legacy system ( :? ) on diff. partitions of course, without affecting data on the legacy system. In the docs, I have found only installation with formatting the whole disk. I am continuing to search for the same.
5. Also would it be possible to install Gentoo (again under above conditions) to a USB hard disk and use it as a mobile Gentoo system. In this case also can it be setup so that I boot off a floppy and somehow indicate that the Linux system exists on a USB device and then load it.

Apologies for any really silly questions that may be there above, but I dont have much knowledge about computer hardware and very little about Linux. Since Gentoo seems to provide a way to really learn Linux well, I am eager to try out the same. I consider the conditions mentioned above to be an even better path to learning more about Linux.

Thank you for your very prompt response. It confirms everything I have read about help from the Linux Community in general and the Gentoo community in particular.

Regards,

Quo
Sir Al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo without touching MBR Reply with quote

quo_vadis wrote:
1. No CDROM drive in the PC

You can install gentoo from a floppy.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8690

Quote:
2. Install Gentoo so that the GRUB/LILO OS selection prompt does not come up i.e. use a Boot floppy when I want to boot into Gentoo, otherwise the windows boot sequence should start automatically without any user prompt or GUI OS selection prompt.

You can install grub onto a boot floppy, then you can boot either Windows XP or Gentoo from the floppy. Of course you could use the Windows XP manager to boot Gentoo as well, but that's a different story. Just follow the install instructions, and skip any steps related to setting up grub (you'll still need to emerge grub to put it on the floppy), and use the following url.

Making a grub boot floppy:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html#q4

Quote:
3. In case I do have to uninstall Gentoo (if I manage to install it under above conditions) how do I go about it. The point about not touching the MBR is bcoz I feel it will simplify matters on an XP box as far as resetting the boot sector is concerned.

If you didn't install grub on the MBR, then all you have to do is wipe your linux partition and gentoo is gone forever :(

You don't need PM for this, you can just do it withing Window's Disk Manager IIRC.

Quote:
4. As an additional point, is it possible to install Gentoo as a dual boot with and NTFS legacy system ( :? ) on diff. partitions of course, without affecting data on the legacy system. In the docs, I have found only installation with formatting the whole disk. I am continuing to search for the same.

Yes, in fact it is very easy to do so if you have free unpartitioned hard drive space. If not, you'll need to resize the NTFS partition. Check out the FAQs on this forum:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=10588

Quote:
5. Also would it be possible to install Gentoo (again under above conditions) to a USB hard disk and use it as a mobile Gentoo system. In this case also can it be setup so that I boot off a floppy and somehow indicate that the Linux system exists on a USB device and then load it.

I don't know the exact procedures to setting up a USB hard disk, but if gentoo recognizes it, it's shouldn't be too hard to fdisk /dev/USBHD and then mount /dev/USBHD /mnt/gentoo where USBHD is the name of the USB hard disk device. It might be harder for you because you don't have a CD-ROM on that system.

Another note is that if you're going to install gentoo and make it a mobile system, make sure you compile it in such a way that it will run under the different processors you wish to run it with. Compile it with i586 optimizations, or if you're planning to run it on more recent machines, use i686. Again, consult the documentations to find out what's right for you :)

Anyway, if you have any more specific questions about installing gentoo, feel free to ask. Also search the forum for related info on your type of scenario. For example, I searched for "USB Hard Drive" and look what came up:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=9147&highlight=usb+hard+drive
MSI Geforce4 Ti4200-TD 250/446 mhz
MSI TV@nywhere TV Tuner
Antec SX1040BII Case + SL400 400W PSU
Logitech Z-540 4.1 Speakers
quo_vadis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo without touching MBR Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks again for the help. I have gone through the documentation on all the links given. Will be reading it all up in more detail. Once I am comfortable with all the steps will go ahead with the installation. Now the only thing I need to find out in detail is how to install off a network as I do have the Gentoo CD.

Sir Al, in the USB hard disk help, am I correct in assuming that I can boot off a floppy and Gentoo will recognise the USB Hard disk directly? Or do I have to install Gentoo on the Machine fixed HD and then get Gentoo to recognize the USB and reinstall Gentoo on the USB. Obviously I will need to go into the forum documentation in more detail but will appreciate any help.

Once again thanks for all the prompt help to all the gurus at Gentoo, I will look forward to your support when I start off with the actual install.

Regards,

Quo
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Another VERY useful thread.. Reply with quote

I think you might find this link very useful too:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=190205

I did this for a dual boot box where I snuck Linux on at work...well, semi-sneak...I now use the Win 2K boot manager and can boot into Win (not often) or Gentoo Linux.

HTH,

cayenne.................................................. 8)
Sir Al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo without touching MBR Reply with quote

quo_vadis wrote:
Sir Al, in the USB hard disk help, am I correct in assuming that I can boot off a floppy and Gentoo will recognise the USB Hard disk directly? Or do I have to install Gentoo on the Machine fixed HD and then get Gentoo to recognize the USB and reinstall Gentoo on the USB. Obviously I will need to go into the forum documentation in more detail but will appreciate any help.

I don't know if the kernel on the floppy will contain USB support since it's rather minimized. You'd have a much better time with the livecd. Try booting with floppy and see what "lsmod | grep usb" shows. If you see any usb-storage and usb-ohci stuff, then you're really lucky :D

But if nothing shows up, you might have to find a boot floppy that has such support or install a minimal system, then add the usb support in the kernel. Note that you can install gentoo from other distro's as well.

For a USB Hard drive to work, you'll need SCSI in the kernel as well. I'd highly recommend you'd first install gentoo on a simple IDE hard drive as setting up a USB Hard drive can sometimes be tricky business for a newb 8O

Like you said, read up a little bit before you try installing it. Also make sure you know what you're doing, so you won't break your system. In any case, have fun and learn 8)
MSI Geforce4 Ti4200-TD 250/446 mhz
MSI TV@nywhere TV Tuner
Antec SX1040BII Case + SL400 400W PSU
Logitech Z-540 4.1 Speakers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: