Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transsib wrote:
8O
Ehhhm..., hey Puggy, next time I have a problem, which will be real soon as I'm stuck here with a phenomenon I cannot explain, am I allowed to ask You whether You could help me?
My impression now is that the guys here would disapprove of a female intrusion.
Really makes me shudder.
Or should I be :oops: of being one such intruder?

Nice to have a friend

transsib

Specs: asus a7n8x deluxe, barton 2500 mhz, 2x256 mb ddram corsair pc 400, geforce 4 ti 4200, plextor cdrecorder, kernel 2.4.20-gentoo-r5, fast, smooth and rocksolid, unfortunately no egoshooters running

P.s.: isn't the subject ot enough to make do with it once and forever?

I'm not entirely sure of the question. What I can say is that these forums are and will remain non-sexist as long as I and the other moderators/site-admins are around to put a stop to anything sexist, racist or otherwise unacceptable.

A female intruder? No user here is an intruder.

If you have a technical problem I sugggest you search the forums as it contains a wealth of information, and if you can't find what you are looking for then post in the appropriate forum.

If you feel you require my particular talents, I'm always happy to help out on geniune problems. I hang out in #gentoo-bugs on freenode.
Note: This is not an invitation for users to descend on #gentoo-bugs for tech support. DO NOT do that. #gentoo is for tech-support, I merely am more easily contactible on bugs. Anyone trying to solve bugs is of course welcome in #gentoo-bugs.

I really hope you don't feel unwelcome or dissaproved of. All are welcome here.

If you have specific issues with members of the forums behaviour towards you please PM me and appropriate action will be taken.

Puggy
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not nearly as concerned with why there are so many male/few female gentoo users as I am about the fact that everyone on these forum boards is fixated with this concept.
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Puggy,

not taking it that seriously. Fact is I have learned very much already by browsing the forum since my first gentoo-installation.
Now I'm on to fine-tuning and since I'm not a geek but a real newbie to linux in general and gentoo specifically I've decided to start posting.

I haven't come to learn the gentoo-forum to be in any way sexist or difficult to enter, at least not like many others where You really ask yourself whether You'll expose yourself when You dare posting and never come back afterwards.

As to gentoo-bugs I'd rather stick to the rules and ask publicly.

Have a nice weekend - to all

transsib :wink:
benca1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisa wrote:
mmealman wrote:
So part of it is genetic

It isn't genetic, its socialization. Remember the Nike commercials years ago that were encouraging young girls to get into sports?

Women are socialized to do female things and men are socialized to do male things. And it sucks.

Gender shouldn't determine whether or not you can do an activity (reproduction aisde).

No offense intended, I understand that "socialization" was thee concept to explain superficial differences between genders. It's was the last fashion in mainstream feminism. However, and least important, implicit in your argument, is the idea that people are brainless sheep who merely respond to stimulus. Though this is de facto thinking among people who wish to control others (socilaism and facisim), I strongly disagree. Sure, this might be applicable to trends, art and culture, but I don't think girls act like girls because they are brainless vacumms just waiting to filled with male conceptions of what a female is.

Of course your mother takes part in this, but the female contributions to "socialization" are usually overlooked since it sheds doubt on the feminist political agenda.

Regardless, please take the time to review a lot of latest genetic discoveries. Remeber, genes don't mean a thing, unless used in a HUGE population samples over time.

For example, women across cultures, generations, and language barriers share very similar values. How? Same with men? How? The fact that genes makes us physically different, leads us to have different values. Even notice how more physical men are between each other (sports) and how physical we are with women?

DNA is powerful stuff. On an individual level, they are worhtless. You might have a predisposition for alcholism, but that doens't mean you're a drinker. But take 10,000 people with alcholic genes and another 10,000 without this genetic predisposition, and you will see larger numbers alcholics with the obvious group.

Genes do not negate free will or personal responsibility at all.

Of course the socialization exists and explains many things,not all gender specific, but beleive me, the fact that cars, computers, buildings, and everything engineering related is totally dominated by men has FAR more to do with DNA then it does childhood upbringing.

You know, in my opinion of course.
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transsib wrote:
8O
My impression now is that the guys here would disapprove of a female intrusion.

That would be the wrong impression. It totally and utterly sucks to work/be interested in a field with a 20 to 1 male/female ratio.

But there are a lot of fields like that, and I'm sure there are plenty of hobbies/area of work where a bunch of women are sitting around going "Where are all the men?".
felldown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: HaHa Reply with quote

I recently made my sister a computer and put gentoo on it. I offered to install Windows, but she wanted linux. She said she wanted it to look cool in front of me. =D. Peer pressure is cool. Also, she likes to tell people she uses linux because it makes her feel "h4x0r". My sister is cool. I think she likes it so far. She is definitely impressed by portage and this cool "emerge" thing that she uses to get new programs. She also feels gnome is much cleaner than any Windows UI.

My girlfriend is forced to use linux, because she is staying with me and that's what's on my desktop. She does okay with it, but she has certain biases against it, because of certain issues, most of which stem from missing particular Windows apps or annoyances caused by my constant tweeking. Once I setup gdm to launch two login sessions on different virtual terminals at boot-up, it's been pretty nice to share, though.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDLM wrote:
He's probably saying that there are two types of people that use linux.

Type A (Real): Installed gentoo from scratch/tries the distros/likes working on
the OS.

Type B (unreal): Their brother/kid/nephew/boyfriend installed it, and they just use it, without really working on the OS itself.

So your 'unreal' users actually make more real use of their machines than the 'real' users, who have no time for real usage because they are busy installing from scratch/trying distros/working on
the OS?
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boyfriend is Mr. Unix. In the time of Commodore and Amiga he already used Unix on the comps of the institute. He knew programming in C at a time when I didn't dare to touch the power button of theses boxes.

When we started living together it annoyed me that he spent sundays at the box.
I hated to be a bystander so we started building our computers ourselves. Today I enjoy fiddling with the hardware and picking what I like best. :D
I do this on my own without the help of my friend. This box here too has been baked in my kitchen.

Our private Windows use ended on Jan 1 this year. We've about had it.

So we went from Suse to Slackware to Gentoo within four month.
And if there is any issue ( and there are issues - most of them just annoying but nothing that locks me out of my system ) it's got to be me who takes care of it.
I am root on my system ( a more or rather less experienced root ) and my boyfriend would never help in any way.
Not because he doesn't like to help, rather because our systems configurations differ so much as so make any help from his side very difficult.
So I learn and I love it and if I could eradicate a problem or get something running it's pure bliss 8)

transsib
dvink
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that computer science does not really have a bad men/women ratio compared to some engineering sciences. I'm in Control Engineering and it completely lacks women. :(

Perhaps some users find this thread silly or a non-issue simply because they have never been in a working environment that has no women whatsoever. I'm getting really sick of all those men and I really start to miss any day to day interaction with women. If I want to talk to a women then I need to go to a bar and start a conversation, which I 've tried and was a true disaster. :wink:

I believe that I'm still human, although this may well be a moot point, but I doubt whether my day to day life can be called socially healthy to any degree. Well, as far as this Gentoo forum is concerned, there is still a men/women ratio to speak of. I hope it stays that way. :)
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvink wrote:
I think that computer science does not really have a bad men/women ratio compared to some engineering sciences. I'm in Control Engineering and it completely lacks women.

Tell me about it. I am studying Cybernetics (Which has alot of control engineering) and theres zero woman remaining on the course for the Fourth year of the MEng. There were a couple on the BSc, but frankly they might as well have been blokes. ;-)

Puggy
someguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my girlfriend runs linux (redhat and slack) and shes verry hot
t1deman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's something they put in the water :twisted:
vitriol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife would just as soon use my linux box as turn on her own windows box...(the only windows box in my home). Her computer takes so long to boot up (inferior OS's tend to be that way) that she would rather use my computer. All she's doing is check her email anyways.
pranyi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitriol wrote:
My wife would just as soon use my linux box as turn on her own windows box...(the only windows box in my home). Her computer takes so long to boot up (inferior OS's tend to be that way) that she would rather use my computer. All she's doing is check her email anyways.

Interesting, the XP on the same box boots at least twice as fast as my gentoo (Mostly because of X an KDE).
Yen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to have a small number of girls around me, there are only 2 girls @ my school...

... And that sucks!
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shees people, just like most car technicians are male, most industry workers are male, then most linux and gentoo users are male. Simply women are not often into technical stuff that is sometimes pain in the ass to get working.
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this is pretty interesting, but I think the single most biggest factor is the intimidation factor that goes into it all. My girlfriend uses Gentoo Linux (surprise surprise). She loves it, and she always swears up and down that she'll never go back to Windows. But here's the thing... the horny little computer nerd b*stards that try to pick up any girl that even shows the slightest interest in computers. Believe me, my girlfriend's been asked out several times after talking to these types of people. Think about it, if you were to go to a computer convention of some sort, if there were two or three girls there, wouldn't you notice them? Well, usually they're surrounded by a bunch of guys lol. (I've actually seen girls fake it for the attention). But the intimidation factor and constant harassment and the feeling of being out-of-place that our society puts on them, and the view expressed by society that "the female should take care of the kids, clean the house, cook dinner, and tend to the husband". Keep in mind, most of these statements are generalizations and there are always exceptions (like my girlfriend :) )
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so tired of this society - everything is geared towards male and female - as it actually matters what gender you are born into.
Why can't people just see people as people?

There have always been people who are convinced that they are born with wrong "things" (since my english is quite bad and unimaginative I won't use any other word here ^^) between their legs as women - today, they can have their gender changed.
The interesting thing is that it's only males (changing into female) who can have a decent life as women afterwards - they are given a working vagina, they can have sex, have orgasms and so forth (I think that's all that actually is the difference between male and female, the sex-part [excluded from giving birth hehe], what person you are doesn't change when your sex is changed...) - but when women are changing into men, they don't have the same possibility to live (since no-one have bothered to invent artificial-erection) - that might be because all scientists are male?

Anyways - since a few persons already have mentioned it (don't ask me to mention who they were, I'm very bad with names...), I don't see any point to write that girls are raised to like dolls and beeing vain, while boys are raised to like cars, tanks and machines - but if a male becomes vain, other people (not only boys, but girls also) starts to call him gay, and if a girl starts to act like a boy, she is called (swedish people, find a good translation to 'manshaftig', and the others - we have reached the limits of my vocabulary) ...

I had something else to say, something sensible actually, but that thought slipped out of my hands before I could write it down...
Elm0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retribute, interesting post, the word your looking for in english is 'tomboy'
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: