I need a pentium3 stage file but the mirrors dont have it
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lateralus01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: I need a pentium3 stage file but the mirrors dont have it Reply with quote

I'm trying to install gentoo on my xbox and I'm following this guide:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_for_Xbox

I've partitioned my hard drive just fine but now it says I need a pentium3 stage file from 2006 and I can't find it. I've tried installing it with the new stage files but it never works.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Lateralus01
OnlyTux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
if your CFLAGS is to be configured as pentium3, I guess you can safely download the 2008.0 i686 stage 3.

Best

Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
OmSai
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OnlyTux wrote:
Hello,
if your CFLAGS is to be configured as pentium3, I guess you can safely download the 2008.0 i686 stage 3.

No, because the tarball already contains pre-compiled binaries optimized specifically for the P4.
lateralus01, go with an 2007.0 x86 stage 3 instead.
lateralus01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmSai wrote:
OnlyTux wrote:
Hello,

No, because the tarball already contains pre-compiled binaries optimized specifically for the P4.
lateralus01, go with an 2007.0 x86 stage 3 instead.

I have tried this with stage1, stage2, and stage3 2007.0 files and it never works. "emerge system" always fails and then i've had two errors the first is that I haven't been able to chroot into the system because the kernel was too new or something like that and the second is when the installation is all done and I'm booting up for the first time it says unable to open console and freezes and that's the most common error
hitachi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I tried to install gentoo on my xbox by myself just some weeks ago. I gave up because of the problems I ran into. I think the main problem is: there is absolutely no actual live cd for the xbox. That's the reason why one can not use the up to date sources (because of chroot). Than you will run into problems with locale.gen.
I did not invest to much time in this. I also had the big problem that I do not understand the syntax of linux.cfg . Anyway I think it will be easier to create a new xbox live cd than to work around all the problems the old one causes. Maybe one could also plug the hd to another pc and install the xbox gentoo from there with crosscompile or something like that (crossdev and distcc?).
Anyway I would be very glad for an solution becouse my xbox is soldered but unused.
Regards
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: