amd64: blank screen with default options in Intel Core 2 Duo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumanc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: amd64: blank screen with default options in Intel Core 2 Duo Reply with quote

I am installing from livecd-amd64-installer-2007.0 in an Intel Core 2 Duo machine (DG33FB motherboard with 2 SATA hard drives).

Being a novice with kernel/boot options, I tried pressing enter (default options) at the 'boot:' prompt while booting the live CD. It went to a black screen after it loaded 'gentoo.igz'. My keyboard hanged (Num Lock won't toggle). It got stuck forever.

Later, I tried 'gentoo apci=off'. It pulled through till a stage when it says 'attempting to mount media .... could not find cd to boot, something else needed!' ... and after chosing default keymap, 'The root block device is unspecified or not detected. Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell".

I am a completely lost at this point, since I have almost no idea about kernel modules that I need to load and how. I could not gather required help from the handbook. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Suman Chakrabarty.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely that full support for your hardware was added to the kernel AFTER that livecd was finished.

You can use any livecd you want. I've successfully installed gentoo using both ubuntu and systemrescuecd livecds.

Though if you use systemrescuecd you'll have to make sure and type in "rescue64" at the boot prompt if you want it to boot a 64-bit kernel to install a 64-bit version of gentoo.
sumanc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
It's likely that full support for your hardware was added to the kernel AFTER that livecd was finished.

You can use any livecd you want. I've successfully installed gentoo using both ubuntu and systemrescuecd livecds.

Though if you use systemrescuecd you'll have to make sure and type in "rescue64" at the boot prompt if you want it to boot a 64-bit kernel to install a 64-bit version of gentoo.

Do you think I should use the 2008 beta live CD then? Because I was using the current (2007) version of the live CD.

Using Ubuntu Live CD is an interesting idea. The idea of using live CD of any other distro did not strike me. It seems it is possible only for Gentoo!

Meanwhile I'll try the minimal install CD as well. Thanks for your answer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: