OpenRC replaces baselayout-lite
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dosmage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: OpenRC replaces baselayout-lite Reply with quote

I must be missing something here. I see vapier has removed baselayout-lite from portage to be superseded by OpenRC. This is cool, but... 36 ebuilds to satisfy baselayout-2/OpenRC? Some of which include sysvinit and coreutils? Perhaps, 'baselayout is dead, long live OpenRC,' but how do I get my Gentoo back to under 5MB using the portage tree, baselayout-2? I'm thinking I may just need to emerge baselayout-2 with --nodeps because Busybox will handle the rc scripts? If anyone can share their brain on the subject, my end goal is to get Tinygentoo working again, at least for me. Again, I might be missing something, but my end result currently is a nearly a 200mb footprint that complains my inittab is not setup properly.

--
Vex
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtual/init is likely to be the culprit. It gives you two options: sysvinit or runit, no option for busybox. You could copy the virtual/init ebuild to your overlay and edit it to add busybox to its deps.

Here's the whole dependency list from openrc:
Code:
RDEPEND="virtual/init
    kernel_linux? ( >=sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.2.2-r2 )
    kernel_FreeBSD? ( sys-process/fuser-bsd )
    ncurses? ( sys-libs/ncurses )
    pam? ( virtual/pam )
    >=sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.0
    !<sys-fs/udev-118-r2"
DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
    virtual/os-headers"
dosmage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dberkholz wrote:
virtual/init is likely to be the culprit. It gives you two options: sysvinit or runit, no option for busybox. You could copy the virtual/init ebuild to your overlay and edit it to add busybox to its deps.

Thanks for replying to my post. I like your suggestion, but I lack proper knowledge in that area. I meant to update my post yesterday. I did exactly what I hypothesized in my original post. I found an article that some guy wrote, I'll link it when I put in all my notes, that had the same issue. I emerged busybox with --nodeps and got my file system skeleton. From there nothing worked right. In addition to baselayout-lite's removal other updates seem to break things. I've gotten pretty far along. I've been meaning to write in all my notes of what I've found. My accomplishments can be summarized in;

- Getting Tinygentoo to work with baselayout-2 (without installing openrc.)
- Using an ebuild from bugs to get the latest uClibc 9.24 to install with two patches to get Busybox compiled.
- Updating my uClibc with pregen iconv support from the ebuild (really strange problem with that ebuild there where it doesn't properly copy a file. My work around is extremely ugly, but I don't have a full understanding of the ebuild system to suggest a fix. I can also say that getting iconv support is important to the gcc ebuild for whatever reason it includes iconv.h, again my understanding of that is poor. I recall having to touch asm/page.h to bypass a similar issue.)
- I updated world and brought the entire system to current portage for that profile (save but linux-utils.)
- I proceeded to crossdev an i686 uClibc tool chain and built myself an i686 uClibc /w pregen iconv support.
- I kept getting zlib/libz issues with my tool chain and I got the strange notion to ROOT=/usr/i686-picogentoo-linux-uclibc emerge zlib --nodeps

My last problem, which I believe there is no solution, is to get php installed on this box using mini_httpd as the web server. I might just use Python to preform all those functions. My end goal really is just to write a digital photo frame OS for an embedded device I own. My project is far enough along that it can display images on boot and it's foot print is less than 100mb presently (including a hand full of images.)
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dosmage wrote:
dberkholz wrote:

Thanks for replying to my post. I like your suggestion, but I lack proper knowledge in that area. I meant to update my post yesterday. I did exactly what I hypothesized in my original post. I found an article that some guy wrote, I'll link it when I put in all my notes, that had the same issue. I emerged busybox with --nodeps and got my file system skeleton. From there nothing worked right. In addition to baselayout-lite's removal other updates seem to break things. I've gotten pretty far along. I've been meaning to write in all my notes of what I've found. My accomplishments can be summarized in;

- Getting Tinygentoo to work with baselayout-2 (without installing openrc.)

OpenRC is only 500k. Is your space that limited?
Quote:
My last problem, which I believe there is no solution, is to get php installed on this box using mini_httpd as the web server. I might just use Python to preform all those functions. My end goal really is just to write a digital photo frame OS for an embedded device I own. My project is far enough along that it can display images on boot and it's foot print is less than 100mb presently (including a hand full of images.)

Yeah, it's probably going to take a fair amount of dependency fixing at the system level (perhaps with a custom /etc/portage/profile/) to avoid a huge amount of stuff.
micr0c0sm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out slitaz - its a 25mb live image that has lighthttpd running iirc.
dosmage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dberkholz wrote:
OpenRC is only 500k. Is your space that limited?

It's all the extra goodies that it was depending on that I didn't like. When I tried it originally I had bad syntax with my inittab and quickly gave up on it after it complained about me not having a modules.dep where it aught to be. After reading more about it I think it will be much better then what I've been doing. If I can just implement your aforementioned advice on changing the init to allow Busybox my life will be infinitely happier.

In regards to SliTaz, I'll have to look at it.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really serious, I'd highly recommend learning how to build your own overlay and then custom-hacking all the ebuilds you need - Many of them can be stripped of unnecessary dependencies and be tweaked for size.

Creating the overlay is not hard at all; Just add something like PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" in your /etc/make.conf, create that folder and then just copy bits of the /use/portage folder structure that you want to mod (Start with one, work your way up).

Then when you've finished hacking it, cd into the dir with the modded ebuild, run ebuild <name-of-ebuild> digest, and re-emerge it! :)
Dagger
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
If you're really serious, I'd highly recommend learning how to build your own overlay and then custom-hacking all the ebuilds you need - Many of them can be stripped of unnecessary dependencies and be tweaked for size.

Creating the overlay is not hard at all; Just add something like PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" in your /etc/make.conf, create that folder and then just copy bits of the /use/portage folder structure that you want to mod (Start with one, work your way up).

Then when you've finished hacking it, cd into the dir with the modded ebuild, run ebuild <name-of-ebuild> digest, and re-emerge it! :)

Well I thought Gentoo was all about it :D Making distro for YOUR needs!
FireBurn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best to use manifest rather than the outdated digest

Mike
Akhouk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenRC is quite cool. I have my kernel, busybox, openrc, my webserver and webapp in less than 20Mb. Cool. 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: