View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KK_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Browser produces white line in upper left corner [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Both firefox and opera draws a vertical line in the upper left corner that is visable on all desktops. The line has the dimensions of 1x17 pixels and doesn't show up until i have opened up some webpages. I have failed to determine exactly which webpages that triggers the line, seems to be random.

I have the same problem on two different computers both running openbox. The only way to get rid of the line is to close the browser.

I tend to suspect openbox since two different browsers trigger the same bug. Any ideas?

Last edited by KK_r on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuexk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also get this with fvwm2 + firefox (didn't notice until now that it was associated with firefox).

Unfortunately, I don't know what it is or how to get rid of it.
MasterDragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have this same problem with firefox and fvwm... I don't know if it does it on other window managers for me.
The thing is I had firefox on this computer for a while and this problem has just recently developed. For the time being I'll try remerging firefox while searching for a solution...

Also, I seem to recall having this same problem with vlc some while ago. That may or may not be relevant.
KK_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have still not found a cause or a fix but I found out that I'm getting the same problem with vlc too.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK_r wrote:
Have still not found a cause or a fix but I found out that I'm getting the same problem with vlc too.

I bet this remains with other WMs -- please acknowledge.

-- Thomas Adam
KK_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ttoday I started up KDE and can confirm that this seems to be WM independent as tuexk also reported that fvwm2 was affected.

One thing that differ vlc from the browsers is that the line appear imideately everytime I start vlc but when I run opera or firefox it doesn't appear until I open up some webpages.

I also tested to disable the vlc-plugin in the browsers but that didn't change anything. Both firefox 2 & 3 shows this behaivior.
MasterDragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... what we have so far is that this happens immediately in vlc, in firefox after certain webpages are opened, and this is independent of the wm. So, my guess is that firefox and vlc themselves are not causing the problem, but they both make use of something that does. At this point I'm pretty much out of ideas but I'll take a look at firefox and vlc's use flags, dependencies, etc. and see if they have anyting in common which may be relevant.

EDIT: it appears that they both depend on gnome-base/gnome-vfs if the gnome flag is enabled. I'm at work right now so I can't test to see if this is causing the problem. Somehow I doubt that gnome is the issue, but it is all I've got so far.

Last edited by MasterDragon on Thu May 22, 2008 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterDragon wrote:
Well... what we have so far is that this happens immediately in vlc, in firefox after certain webpages are opened, and this is independent of the wm. So, my guess is that firefox and vlc themselves are not causing the problem, but they both make use of something that does. At this point I'm pretty much out of ideas but I'll take a look at firefox and vlc's use flags, dependencies, etc. and see if they have anyting in common which may be relevant.

More likely your screen is buggered.

-- Thomas Adam
MasterDragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not the screen, I have had this happen on different computers with different screens. And upon closer examination of the thread you will notice that other users have had the same problem with the same applications. I suppose that there is a finite probability that all of our monitors have some strange problem which so far has only chosen to reveal itself when certain applications are run. But personally, I find it far more probable that some piece of software is responsible.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterDragon wrote:
It is not the screen, I have had this happen on different computers with different screens. And upon closer examination of the thread you will notice that other users have had the same problem with the same applications. I suppose that there is a finite probability that all of our monitors have some strange problem which so far has only chosen to reveal itself when certain applications are run. But personally, I find it far more probable that some piece of software is responsible.

Perhaps, but then since it happens for a very small minority of people, it is almost certainly going to be hardware-related. Not software.

So start digging to see what you can find.

-- Thomas Adam
KK_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget it happends with opera too, which is QT-based.
KK_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also report that the problem exists on two of my computers running debian unstable. It is not hardware because my computers has completely different hardware since one is a laptop.
MasterDragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah this is strange, I find it unlikely that it is a hardware problem but if it is a software problem why have so few people seen it? Really I have no idea, but maybe it's a specific setting in xorg or something thats causing the problem.
KK_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is strange. As I have the same problem on different machines it might be some setting I'm fond of, but I have no idea which one. My xorg.confs has not much common more then the standard stuff.

What does it mean that the line doesn't appear until some webpages has been opened (haven't figured out any pattern in when the line appear)? I don't know much about browsers but if someone knew more about what's happening when a new webpage is loaded maybe we could get some clue.
KK_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purged adobes flash plugin from my system and it seems I can't get the line back. But even though I also purged the flashlibs vlc still creates the line.

Can someone else confirm that it won't appear without flash-plugin?
MasterDragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flash.... that makes sense. That would explain why it only happens with some pages. As for vlc I still have no idea. Once I get home from work I'll see if removing flash works for me as well.
MasterDragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is interesting, according to portage I don't have flash installed, but according to http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/ I do. Furthermore, I cannot seem to find anything in firefox where I can disable it...
freedomeagle1967
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KK_r
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:51 pm Post subject:
I agree it is strange. As I have the same problem on different machines it might be some setting I'm fond of, but I have no idea which one. My xorg.confs has not much common more then the standard stuff.

What does it mean that the line doesn't appear until some webpages has been opened (haven't figured out any pattern in when the line appear)? I don't know much about browsers but if someone knew more about what's happening when a new webpage is loaded maybe we could get some clue.

i think it is configuration. it is likely that KK_r did the same thing on two separate systems.
my suggestion is to move as many of your USE flag to /etc/portage/package.use instead of globally in make.conf.
i found my system more stable after doing this.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?style=printable&full=1#book_part2_chap2

post you make.conf and your package.use, package.keywords. this will help find the problem and what need to be moved.
MasterDragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make.conf and package.use are as follows, but I think we have established that flash is what casues the problem. At least for me, any page that displays flash tirggers it, and kk_r said that removing flash fixed it for him. My problem now is that I cannot figure out how to get rid of flash as portage doesn't seem to recognize that it is installed.

Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example.
#CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# This should not be changed unless you know exactly what you are doing.  You
# should probably be using a different stage, instead.
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=""
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
USE="unicode  X a52 aac ogg vorbis xvid x264 acpi alsa cdr cjk gtk  dvd dvdr dvdread fbcon firefox foomaticdb imlib java java6 javascript jpeg mmx opengl pcmcia png qt3 qt4 spell smp sse sse2 usb wifi"
LINGUAS="en_US ja"
FEATURES=""
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/getnoo ftp://gentoo.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/gentoo http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
Code:
x11-terms/eterm USE=sse2 escreen etwin
media-gfv/gwenview jpeg2k
x11-wm/fvwm imlib png truetype
media-libs/imlib2 gif png tiff
media-libs/xine-lib USE= flac real win32codecs
sci-visualization/grace png pdf
dev-java/sun-jdk nsplugin
app-office/lyx latex
net-im/pidgin gtk spell
app-i18n/uim anthy gtk
=x11-libs/qt-3* immqt-bc
x11-terms/eterm -unicode
x11-terms/rxvt-unicode iso14755 truetype
x11-terms/eterm -unicode

EDIT: This is infuriating, according to the adobe flash website I have 9.0.115.0 installed... so I try emerging that version and then unmerging it and the adobe site still says that it is there (and it is, flash still works). Where is it hiding??? Was it compiled into firefox? Am I missing something basic here?
freedomeagle1967
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flash player can be in two spots. for you though it is in your home directory ".macromedia" note the dot before = hidden file. and the other location is in your browser/plugin directory.

your package.use
Code:
x11-terms/eterm USE=sse2 escreen etwin
media-libs/xine-lib USE= flac real win32codecs
=x11-libs/qt-3* immqt-bc

a little house keeping
Code:
x11-terms/eterm sse2 escreen etwin
media-libs/xine-lib flac real win32codecs
x11-libs/qt-3 immqt-bc

peace i hope you get this solved.
MasterDragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... well an rm -rf .macromedia didn't seem to get rid of it. I guess I'll look for the browser/plugin directory
MasterDragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, removing flash alledgedly "fixes" the problem for the browser (I still can't seem to get flash off my system), but then not having flash is not a very desirable solution. Furthermore, we are still left with the problem that this happens with vlc too. So, what do flash and vlc have in common that could cause this? Perhaps the solution is some obscure kernel option that needs to be enabled/disabled. What would be potentially really helpful at this point is some sort of monitoring/logging program that could tell exactly what the computer is doing when the line is drawn.
KK_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rather some common library then a kernel feature. Perhaps something i GTK?
MasterDragon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the thing with that is that I think this would be a more common problem if the problem was with a common library.
KK_r
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could still be triggered by specific hardware or configurations. An obscure kernel option feels a little far-fetched. My bet is on GTK or X however we don't know the answer yet. Any ideas how to track the bug down wherever it is?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: