splash with kernel version >= 2.6.23
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: splash with kernel version >= 2.6.23 Reply with quote

hi,
i read that if you are using a kernel >= 2.6.23 you will not find vesafb-tng. Spock has stopped development on vesafb-tng, and now works on uvesafb, which is located at: http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/uvesafb is included in gentoo-sources >= 2.6.23 and from 2.6.24 onwards also in the mainline kernel. Follow the instructions located on that website

so is splsh "really" possible with the recent kernel support of U-VESA ?
if so, has anybody tested it ?

input from http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_gensplash#Framebuffer_Console_Driver_.28fbcon.29
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently it works -> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-631052.html
i havent´tested myself, radeonfb works just fine and is enough for me.

cheers
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the question is. To my knowledge, you need also fbcondecor to have splash working which AFAIK is not contained in vanilla-kernel (uvesafb is only part of the framebuffer driver and does not include all of fbcondecor). So, splash is probably still not possible with recent vanilla and hardened kernel but only with the gentoo patchset.
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the question is: what is the best and easy way to have a splash screen which hides the linux dmesg&C while the kernel is booting ?

it is not important for me, but my girl friend "hates" to see dmesg lines while the kernel is booting ... (you have to understand she is a mac user mind...)

let me short about the reason we have to share this powerbook, and the reason why she has to use linux ....

the point is: or i make gentoo/ppc able to have the splash screen, or i have to change:
A) or i change the installed distro (ubuntu/ppc is obsolete but the last one version has splash support)
B) or i change my girl friend

(and YEP, it is clear i will never change my gentoo for an other distro =P )
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I had clicked wrong forum :oops: (I thought I am in amd64 forum, that's why I misunderstood. No idea about PPC)
baeksu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddc wrote:
the question is: what is the best and easy way to have a splash screen which hides the linux dmesg&C while the kernel is booting ?

Assuming you have splash already working, you can hide the kernel messages (stuff that comes before init takes over) by adding "quiet" to the kernel boot options in grub.

If you don't have splash, it'll still hide the messages.
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baeksu wrote:
ddc wrote:

Assuming you have splash already working, you can hide the kernel messages (stuff that comes before init takes over) by adding "quiet" to the kernel boot options in grub.

If you don't have splash, it'll still hide the messages.

well, apple/ppc doesn't with grub, apple/ppc boot with yaboot
every bootloader can pass the quiet option to the kernel, so the kernel can be -quited but what about the init process ?

umm, you will see a black screen till the init process is invoked, then you will see a lot of rc script running: my girl friend still hating it, so I'm still having the problem =P

so I really better add the graphical effect you can see in every macOSX system: waiting with a black screen is boring, seeing something telling you to wait is entertaining ;)

p.s.
ubuntu/ppc has his pretty splash running when you boot it, unfortunately i think ubuntu sux for me, and i prefer gentoo ... even if sometimes gentoo makes me to reinvent the wheel
baeksu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddc wrote:
well, apple/ppc doesn't with grub, apple/ppc boot with yaboot
every bootloader can pass the quiet option to the kernel, so the kernel can be -quited but what about the init process ?

umm, you will see a black screen till the init process is invoked, then you will see a lot of rc script running: my girl friend still hating it, so I'm still having the problem =P

Sorry about that, I forgot ppc doesn't use grub. :oops:
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed and working
if somebody interested, i will write 2 notes
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately it is only working with radeon 9600: ati r128 fails at all ... a lot of problem about setting the framebuffer to be 32bit color depth ...

WOW: No 8bpp silent/verbose picture specified in the theme

also there is something wrong into the kernel (2.6.23) about r128/video-mode-init

i mean
1) booting with the "video=aty128fb:1024x768-24@60" ...[fail and panic]
2) booting with the "video=aty128fb:1024x768-16@60" ...[simply fail]
3) booting with the "video=aty128fb:1024x768-32" ...[boots but the screen is black with colored lines]

while the radeon 9600 video card has a simply stive setup: video=radeon:1440x960-32, which simply means Resolution-ColorDepth, nothing magic to be known

any idea about the ati r128 ?
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fixed the aty128fb's issue ... hacking the kernel driver ...

splash is now working on the pismo, too
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: