VGN-FZ240E/B... kernels & modules.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shyce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: VGN-FZ240E/B... kernels & modules. Reply with quote

Managed to snag a Sony VGN-FZ240E/B Laptop on clearance for $900. I was pretty excited to get Vista off of it and load a copy of Gentoo from scratch. Don't get me wrong, I know quite a bit about Linux but kernels just escape me.

I can get a mostly-working system compiled from genkernel however, I'd like to be able to build a custom kernel using vanilla sources. So, off I go with questions.

Video (Intel 965GM x3100): emerge xf86-video-i810
- Question: How do I make this work with Gnome when I finally do emerge it, or even pre-environment for higher resolution terminal commands.
Wireless (802.11n WEP): hard unmask, keyword unmask, emerge iwlwifi
- Question: What do I have to enable in the vanilla kernel to get this working? It's hard & keyword masked and fails to emerge properly due to kernel .config missing. (I assume, .config support as well as modular loading should be enabled in the Kernel).
Sound (Unknown/ALSA?): Seems to be working right out of the box with the current genkernel. Although I would like to know the actual module loading for future reference and updates.
Touchpad (Unknown/Synaptics?): For the life of me, I can't figure out who manufacturers my touchpad to get better mouse support for Gnome. Anyone know of hardcore detailed specs on this computer.
Processor(T7250, 2.0Ghz): I don't feel confident configuring proc. specs on my kernel without more knowledge of this. Where can I find timer frequency 250/300/1000? Does my processor support tickless timers? Blah.
DVD-Rom (Unknown): Doesn't seem to be mounting out of the box, not sure on who manufacturers this part except for watered down details from Sony.
Battery: Not displaying battery life information in Gnome. Must be something with the kernel.

That's really all I care about right now, everytime I compile the kernel and replace it with the current... I get /dev/sda3 mount errors or problems because I didn't setup the module load list (how do I know which modules to load, what if I forget something). The first time I tried this, I accidently replaced both the kernel and initramfs and got a kernel panic.

I've been trying to install Gentoo for 4 days now between work and school, and I really want to make linux work because when it does... it's amazing. This morning I went to install Vista, I've almost given up. Managed to actually get into Gnome, install Firefox & set up some favorites before going at the kernel. Last night I botched it up again after all that work. Should I just wait a few months until some of my modules are more stable? Any advise would be amazing.

What am I doing wrong? I've read through the manual so many times regarding modules & kernels. I just have no idea what modules my system needs to load on boot.

My system is partitioned as such:
ext 3 -> boot
ext 2 -> swap
ext 3 -> primary

Specs: http://129.33.22.12/release/specs/VGNFZ240EB_mksp.pdf
nightshade2069
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay make sure you have the latest beta cd.. it should do the trick for you.
but I make a recommendation..

make the first partition like 200 meg and ext2 for /boot
depending on how much ram you have 1 gig - 2 gig for swap for the next partition
and the / the rest of the hard drive ext3 or the one of your choice.

I have not had any issues with installing with those.

make sure thought that when you do the install you wipe the partitions out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: