Install using wireless network card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatshady
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Install using wireless network card Reply with quote

Hi,

I gave up on gentoo after going wireless a couple of years ago - but now I would like to re-install. Can anyone tell me what wireless card I can buy that will work for installation? I'm hoping things have moved on so I can get something that will be recognised without too much messing about. Have issues last time trying to get ndiswrapper to work for installation - was all quite annoying.

Is there a "plug and play" wireless card that will be recognised?

Thanks

Dan
nightshade2069
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most Intel's should work. with no problem or broadcom, but the problem is you will need to recompile your kernel to support them then setup the configuration.

normally on install wireless does not work and in the new install cd for the 2008 beta does not support wireless off the bat, you have to redo your kernel to install drivers/ modules to support the card.
overkll
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a good comparion chart of wireless drivers for linux from Wikipedia

I've used both RaLink rt2500 and Atheros AR521x based cards. Both work well and are supported.

Lately I've picked up a few of these Airlink101 AWLH4130 Super G™ Wireless PCI Adapter since they had an "Atheros" logo on the box and they are inexpensive compared to other brands. At my local store, I can pick one up for $29.99 USD. I've used these on customer's machines with Ubuntu, Gentoo, and huh hum M$ Windoze.

EDIT: DOH! I haven't installed gentoo wirelessly so I don't know it these drivers are available in the gentoo install cd's. Personally, I use SysRescueCd for installing gentoo. It's gentoo based and more upto date than Gentoo's install CD's. I know it contains just about every wireless driver as well - see the packages page - net-wireless section.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: