Errors in the documents [SOLVED docs are fine, I'm an idiot]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahurst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Errors in the documents [SOLVED docs are fine, I'm an idiot] Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I'm a long time Gentoo user, and installed from stage 3 back in 2003/2004.

On a run through the 2007.0 stage 3 install experience (installing into a QEMU disk image), I ran into three gotchas with the documentation (online full handbook http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1)

First, the entry in grub.conf that it advises you to create says 'kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.whatever root=/dev/hda3'.
However, the docs have told you to '# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r5' where /boot is the mountpoint of /dev/hda1(or sda1), so grub should expect the kernel image at 'kernel /kernel.2.6.whatever root=/dev/hda3'.

Second and third gotchas are to do with kernel config: perhaps these should be fixed by patches to gentoo-sources setting the default config options.
'Networking->Network options->Unix domain sockets' (CONFIG_UNIX) must be enabled for udev to work.
'Networking->Network options->Packet socket' (CONFIG_PACKET) needs enabling for dhcpcd to work.
These are both disabled by default in gentoo-sources-2.6.24-r4, and neither is mentioned in the handbook.

Andy

edit: I seem to remember emerge grub used to put a symlink on /dev/hda1, /boot -> /. This didn't happen.
edit2: see below it's not emerge grub that puts the symlink there, it's extracting the stage3 tarball with /dev/hda1 mounted.

Last edited by ahurst on Fri May 02, 2008 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First, the entry in grub.conf that it advises you to create says 'kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.whatever root=/dev/hda3'.
However, the docs have told you to '# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r5' where /boot is the mountpoint of /dev/hda1(or sda1), so grub should expect the kernel image at 'kernel /kernel.2.6.whatever root=/dev/hda3'.

Quote:
edit: I seem to remember emerge grub used to put a symlink on /dev/hda1, /boot -> /. This didn't happen.

If that link exists then both kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.whatever root=/dev/hda3 and kernel /kernel.2.6.whatever root=/dev/hda3 will work. The nice part of the first option is that it will work too on systems where /boot isn't on a seperate partition. And that means that the Handbook only needs to describe the first option.

Quote:
Second and third gotchas are to do with kernel config: perhaps these should be fixed by patches to gentoo-sources setting the default config options.
'Networking->Network options->Unix domain sockets' (CONFIG_UNIX) must be enabled for udev to work.
'Networking->Network options->Packet socket' (CONFIG_PACKET) needs enabling for dhcpcd to work.
These are both disabled by default in gentoo-sources-2.6.24-r4, and neither is mentioned in the handbook.

Check bugzilla if a bug already exists for this. If not create one please.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand

Last edited by nixnut on Fri May 02, 2008 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ahurst,
The grub instructions are correct.
I think you are confused about "root".
Grub uses this to designate the partition where the kernel is.
Linux uses it to designate the whole system.
Look at your /etc/fstab:
Code:

/dev/hda1  /boot
/dev/hda2  swap
/dev/hda3  /

root == /.
The kernel is installed on /dev/hda1 and grub should be something like this:
Code:

title yourname
root /(hd0,1) #where the kernel is located
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6whatever root=/dev/hda3.

The /boot directory is on hda1.
Hope this explains it.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
ahurst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut,
agreed, relies on symlink on /dev/hda1, what should create this?
bugs: ok will search, should it be filed against gentoo-sources?
ahurst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer to my own question: boot -> / is in the stage 3 tarball, and would be put onto /dev/hda1 if I'd mounted /boot AT THE RIGHT TIME AS INSTRUCTED BY THE DOCS!
So it's my fault :)
I'll file the gentoo-sources default config bug.

Andy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: