openmosix nforce2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acarlyle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: openmosix nforce2 Reply with quote

hi everyone,

i am going to be soon installing gentoo on a box i just built and am wondering if their is a way to either patch up the openmosix kernel so that it has all the drivers needed... or if there is a way to get ahold fo a gentoo-sources or an ac-sources openmosix patch...

thanks in advance for your help
qubex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/#LatestRelease and download the patch and try applying it to one of the kernels you mentioned. If it does not work, you are going to have to find all the patches you need for your specific install (i.e. chipset drivers, pre-empt, openmosix) and patch the vanilla-sources kernel. I would suggest doing it the last way anyway, as this way you know and learn what is going into your kernel.
acarlyle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know where i can find the needed patches for nforce2 drivers?

also i have had problems with pre-empting and my raid controller and as far as i know openmosix does not require pre-empting... is there a benefit for openmosix if pre-empting is enabled?
lemouf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kernel linux-2.6.0-test1 integrate support of nforce ide, agp but no support for nic. there is a patch for the nvidia nforce drivers search in the forum. all run perfect no problems.

Code:
emerge development-sources
qubex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need pre-empting you are running a "real time" or "desktop" system and want the benefits of shared CPU process. I think it might hurt a real open-mosix cluster. I mentioned it because the majority of people I know of have a cluster at home with their excess boxen and desktop as a part of it. ONLY add pre-empt if you really need it.

I don't have an nforce2 chipset, but AFAIK, nvidia themselves is the one that manufactures them. Goto http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_nforce_1.0-0261 and download the kernel tar file. Make sure to read the README on this page as it gives instructions and help.

Let me know if you need any more help! :)
qubex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemouf wrote:
the kernel linux-2.6.0-test1 integrate support of nforce ide, agp but no support for nic. there is a patch for the nvidia nforce drivers search in the forum. all run perfect no problems.

True, but it's still a beta kernel.. I don't think that openmosix has a kernel patch for this kernel series yet either. (I can't run it yet because they the via chipset driver is seriously b0rked - but if you are using an nforce2 this may not be the case.
acarlyle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was able to get openmosix up and running on the nforce but no dma on teh sata controller casue it locks up hard when enabled

anyway i set my makeopts to j4 to see this thing cook and it dies almost instantly and after death it pushes 3 more commands to the terminal before hanging

any advice on how to get this to work ? ive already emerged system and am now trying an emerge kde
qubex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally had a lot of troubles compiling kde over openmosix - most of the compilations do go much quicker, but kde (and xfree both) would die in random spots during the compile. I had to either stop the openmosix service or drop the -j down to -j2. Almost EVERYTHING else compiles fine.

As to the sata thing - I don't know what to tell you. Have you tried tweaking hdparm values? Did you get the right patch, and did you enable the option in th kernel? I also don't know much about their patch - perhaps it comes with a utility of it's own?
acarlyle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not too worried atm about getting drivers for the controller it works ok... however i would like to know if there is a way to tell openmosix to shift the processes a bit more.. i have 2 xp 2200 systems and one sits at 30% while the other does nothing is this normal ?

also how would i set up portage to use pmak by default i have done some reading and it looks like pmake would be a good option to use
qubex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acarlyle wrote:
im not too worried atm about getting drivers for the controller it works ok... however i would like to know if there is a way to tell openmosix to shift the processes a bit more.. i have 2 xp 2200 systems and one sits at 30% while the other does nothing is this normal ?

You must not have emerge'd openmosixview. Run this from one of your nodes, but run it from a console in X - you will have to enter a password when it authenticates ssh. (unless you already have key-based authentication in place.) openomosixview allows you to change the priorities of different machines as well as to change other various options.. Oh yes, you did install the openmosixcollector on the workstations, right?
Quote:

also how would i set up portage to use pmak by default i have done some reading and it looks like pmake would be a good option to use

You don't really want to use pmake, do you? make -j (2*num of cpus). pmake and make -jX are the same thing on a cluster. Note: if you are on a slow network and it takes longer for it to farm out processes then it does to just process them then it will generally just keep the processes at the local node. Increase the number of simultaneous jobs to increase the likelihood you see processes migrating (for troubleshooting).
acarlyle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got the nodes set up they use autodiscovery...
i run openmosixview and i can see the nodes and the loads on them seem correct but i am having a ton of ssh problems

ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.6 port 22: Connection refused

any time i try to change an option using openmosixview i get that

also i have tried to ssh to the box and it says the same thing... do i need to set up ssh ? also i know this is a little off topic perhaps but when i installed the openmosix sources (first kernel on this machine)
i notice that it trys to load some modules on boot for rtc... is there a config file i can edit to tell the startup process to stop trying to execute those lines?'

i have set up the collector to run on one of the machines as far as i can tell it doesnt need to be run on them all...

i have had compilation problems while using the cluster while compiling xfree base 4.3.0-r3 qt-3.1.2 and arts-notsure

i read somewhere that the language that portage is written in might not play well with openmosix.... have you heard anything
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: