Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
E17 is coming(part 6) [locked]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Quote:
That is strange. Composite extension should be automatically enabled in the new xorgs. For example this is what message I get in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

It is built in the nvidia-driver which is why I left it out of the new xorg.conf. I thought e17 would pick it up by itself, but
whenever I tried to enable compositing in the settings e17 said my screen doesn` t support it. There was no warning anymore on enabling compositing in e17 with the option composite added to the xorg.conf.
( No warning messages in the Xorg.0.log about this btw )

But nevermind - I didn` t have fun with it for long as e17 crashed after some time and I had to delete .e/ again. And each time I restart it after deletion of the .e/ directory something has changed, something gets lost: the menus are not localized in most apps except firefox, mouse does not jump to the windows anymore, settings panel distorts when I configure an option...

:roll:
dylan_stark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a very annoying problem with the focus when switching between the desktops. No window has focus, and I would like that window wich was last focused on desktop switch to get the focus back when I return to that desktop.
I know that there is an option in Window Focus that is suppose to do just that, but for some reason it is not working as expected.
Maybe some other option is turned on that is causing the trouble but I can't figure out wich one...
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dylan_stark wrote:
I'm having a very annoying problem with the focus when switching between the desktops. No window has focus, and I would like that window wich was last focused on desktop switch to get the focus back when I return to that desktop.
I know that there is an option in Window Focus that is suppose to do just that, but for some reason it is not working as expected.
Maybe some other option is turned on that is causing the trouble but I can't figure out wich one...
I seem to recall seeing something similar a week back when I was using e17 from svn. But I never investigated it properly. At present I am using ecomorph so I can't really test this (in ecomorph it is working fine).
dylan_stark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed ecomorph now, and I have exactly the same problem.
:x
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dylan_stark wrote:
I've installed ecomorph now, and I have exactly the same problem.
:x
This is my settings for the window focus. I am not having such a problem with ecomorph. http://omploader.org/vMXVoNw
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot load certain modules anymore, that is drawer ( which is installed ) and above all wallpaper and wallpaper2.
Those modules seem to have vanished . Has module wallpaper been removed?

When I have places loaded and I connect a usb device to the box ( say a digital camera or the iphone ) e17 crashes and all
modules get unloaded on restart ( recover ).

There are so many problems here that I cannot imagine trying ecomorph or even compositing again.
Poedel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recovering styles is often hard work or almost impossible.
Preventing this you should backup your .e folder to be able to copy it back when e17 crashes.
Remeber alfa state ;) It definetly sometimes does, espeicially when you change settings or try to undrrun system set states.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been some extensive changes recently. I would suggest that you try an older svn revision possibly from a week ago.
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Quote:
There has been some extensive changes recently.

The following modules cannot be loaded: themes, both wallpaper, drawer - I may have overlooked some (?).
The error message:
libecore_evas-pre-svn-01.so.0 cannot open shared object file

How do I go back?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transsib wrote:
How do I go back?
Try exporting ESVN_REVISION=<revision number> before doing the emerge.
Code:
export ESVN_REVISION=40899 # An example revision
emerge eina eet ....
You can look at this site to determine when the major changes started. I would suggest using a revision from last sunday or earlier. http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/timeline

EDIT: When updating from live svn, it is usually a good idea to back up your current installation by using quickpkg. Later you can use the -K switch to emerge to revert to those binary files if something goes wrong with the upgrade.
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went down from 41111 to 41042 with your help, ppurka. Modules compiled fine except for
e_module-uptime ( compile failed ).

Is it possible that I have to delete the current .e/? The modules I want still cannot be loaded; same error message. :?
41042 was from Sun, June 14th .

I now have to quickpkg as you recommended; only question is do I quickpkg just enlightenment-9999 or
the other packages as well like evas eet eina etc.?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transsib wrote:
Went down from 41111 to 41042 with your help, ppurka. Modules compiled fine except for
e_module-uptime ( compile failed ).

Is it possible that I have to delete the current .e/? The modules I want still cannot be loaded; same error message. :?
41042 was from Sun, June 14th .

I now have to quickpkg as you recommended; only question is do I quickpkg just enlightenment-9999 or
the other packages as well like evas eet eina etc.?
I would be surprised if you need to delete .e/ You can try renaming it and see if a new .e helps.

About the quickpkg: yes you will need to quickpkg all the packages starting from eina, eet, etc. In fact, I hope you have been compiling *all* the packages (and not just enlightenment-9999) when you were upgrading e17.
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have compiled all?
Code:
emerge -av eina eet evas ecore embryo edje efreet e_dbus enlightenment

I hope there is nothing missing. As I understand modules themes wallpaper and wallpaper2 are in enlightenment itself?
Either I will have do go back further or something still is missing. Will the full error message from the settings menu help
clear up the source of the issue?

EDIT: I can see that most modules get loaded except for themes, wallpaper and wallpaper2. The only module outside of the main packages that won` t like to get loaded is drawer. Looking at the error message in its long version enlightenment looks for the necessary file in /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/conf_theme/linux-gnu-x86_64-ver-pre-svn-02/ where it should find module.la and module.so. The error message then continues by telling me that libecore_evas-pre-svn-01.so.0 cannot open shared object file. That' s for modules themes . What does this tell me? Where is libecore...? I cannot find it . I can only find the link libecore_evas-pre-svn-02.so.0 which links to libecore_evas-pre-svn-02.so.0.9.9

Has anyone an explanation for that?
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a hunch I just ran revdep-rebuild although I didn` t believe it would fix broken links for
packages in overlay as well, but it did, respectively it tried.

I` ve had a lot there and modules themes, wallpaper and drawer get loaded again. I' m not sure
whether the newly reemerged packages match the revision 41042 and there was imlib2_loaders-9999
among them as well.

The only package that failed to emerge was exhibit-9999 with svn: target path does not exist. I am almost certain
that I may encounter problems. The old repository was exhibit@40903 .

May be the punishment will follow swiftly on an enlightenment restart.
For now the "missing" modules work again. :) :?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure revdep-rebuild built only the latest revision ;)
Since you are re-installing all the packages, including the external modules, the package list should contain more items:
Quote:
eina eet evas ecore embryo edje efreet esmart exml epsilon e_dbus enlightenment e_modules

If you are building individual modules from e_modules, then depending on which packages you are building, you may not need the three extra packages in the middle.

It is not surprising that you are not getting exhibit. It is unmaintained and not recommended any more.
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Quote:
I am pretty sure revdep-rebuild built only the latest revision ;)

which might cause trouble on a later upgrade when one of those things revdep-rebuild fixed
won` t cooperate with the new revision.
I regret not having memorized the packages that revdep-rebuild recompiled. I` ll certainly make
a list that helps avoiding any more of those broken link issues. Cause the problems I` ve now fixed were caused by my
negligence alone.
Quote:
It is not surprising that you are not getting exhibit. It is unmaintained and not recommended any more.

:lol: that crossed my mind when I saw the error message.

It is a pity bling sucks up so much recources on my system. I just cannnot understand why, because composite on KDE here works
flawlessly. For now I am glad to have a stable E17 back ; will work a little on the usage of eet and secure the current installation. Although - well - some other day perhaps... :lol:
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is a good day as it is the first time in weeks that I successfully updated E17 on my system ( 41283 now ), all wanted modules included.
Thank you very much for the great work to the enlightenment devs :lol:

All previous attempts failed and the first package that blew was always evas. Each time I had to revert to a working config like ppurka taught me.

I don' t know why this run went well. It may be excellent bug fixes by the devs. But I changed a USE flag because one
message shortly before the compilation failure of evas caught my eye. I cannot make anything of it but it had s.th.
to do with directfb. It always had something to do with directfb.
So I set
Code:
-directfb
for evas. And evas compiled fine.

My question is which use flags does evas really need to compile fine and perform well? And do fbcon and directfb collide when compiling evas? ( I have both directfb and fbcon; I don' t have cairo in the make.conf )

Thanks
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my evas:
Code:
[I] x11-libs/evas [1]
     Available versions:  (~)0.9.9.050 (**)9999 {X altivec directfb doc edb fbcon gif jpeg mmx nls opengl png sdl sse svg threads tiff xpm}
     Installed versions:  9999(02:37:51 PM 07/04/2009)(X fbcon gif jpeg mmx nls opengl png sdl sse svg threads tiff xpm -altivec -directfb -doc -edb)
     Homepage:            http://www.enlightenment.org/
     Description:         hardware-accelerated canvas API

[1] "enlightenment" /usr/portage/local/layman/enlightenment
I think directfb is unmaintained. edb is now unmaintained and not even used. doc is not usually required. And altivec is for a different processor. That explains all the unset flags in my evas ;)
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that setting
Code:
-directfb
for evas in enlightenment.use (directfb is set in my make.conf) was not all that wrong. :wink:
I haven't set threads ( what's it for? ) and edb; all the other are equal to yours.

Time to do a new quickpkg on this clean and consistent install. 8) Will do for quite a while. Thanks again.

Do you know anything about the themes? I have heard that some of them are dated. ( I enjoy gant most and have Larry and circuit as animated wallpapers on two other desktops ) . What are the chances that older themes break someday?

regards
transsib
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transsib wrote:
I am glad that setting
Code:
-directfb
for evas in enlightenment.use (directfb is set in my make.conf) was not all that wrong. :wink:
I haven't set threads ( what's it for? ) and edb; all the other are equal to yours.
Hmm.. I am not sure about the "threads" USE flag's relevance to evas. It is set in my make.conf (some of the USE flags set in the make.conf are quite old, ~4yrs).
Quote:

Do you know anything about the themes? I have heard that some of them are dated. ( I enjoy gant most and have Larry and circuit as animated wallpapers on two other desktops ) . What are the chances that older themes break someday?

regards
transsib
I am using the detour theme almost exclusively for more than a year, so I haven't kept track of the other themes. I remember that some themes had broken borders. Hopefully, as e17 crawls towards a release, we will see less breakage :P
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this probably won't be easy to describe but I'm having a very annoying problem with e17 and a couple desktop files.

ibar has the proper user-assigned icon but every time I start the app the titlebar uses the application default (this isn't an issue of user/e17/app-defined; my *desktop icon doesn't even appear in "border style").

I have a csh script which is essentially "vboxsdl -vm $argv[1]" so I can run 3 different vms from one script. I have 3 identical *desktop files to start them with the exceptions that each has its own icon and passes a different $argv[1] to the script. I created these 3 *desktop files originally for vmware, they always worked 100% fine so theoretically they should be working just as well now.

I installed virtualbox, changed "vmware" to the vbox cmd and renamed the *desktop files - so they're virtually identical to what worked before. this is a new install of e and ~/.e so it's not a matter of some crud in an old e cfg gumming things up.

every time I start from ibar, the titlebar uses an ugly default icon; when I click "create icon -> adv", the "desktop file" has a filename which does not exist which seems to be based on "startupwmclass". when I rmb the ibar icon and look at properties it has the correct *desktop filename; when I start the app it does not.

the "desktop file" field is uneditable so I can't change it. I can't create or let e17 create the non-existent *desktop and get the titlebar icon working that way because 1) I couldn't start the other two vms from that single desktop file and 2) I can't have unique icons using a single desktop file. their icons are important because when minimized it's the only way I know which vm is which without having to restore to see.

so if anyone can follow that :) any idea how to fix this? I included a picture if it helps; e17 is essentially changing things once the desktop file has been started (the changed one is the left and what I created is the right).

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3699/tmpdts.png
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how much I can help here.

First of all you need to ensure that the Window Class field is not empty, since the icon is determined via the window class. If you want different icons, then the applications must provide a different window class to the WM (e17). Most terminals allow you to set the window class (via -name argument), but I doubt that virtualbox will allow you to do that.

There used to be a X-Enlightenment-Icon or something similar which was supported and read by the e17 WM. It was possible to set animated icons or even other icons via that argument in the .desktop file. You should probably search the e17 wiki at enlightenment.org or make a post to the e17 users mailing list to find out if you can set different icons for different commands, even when the different applications have the same Window Class.

FYI, I think it is ecore which takes care of these .desktop icon, etc. So, you could look into ecore source to see if you can glean some information.

EDIT: I was wrong. The .desktops are handled by efreet and not ecore.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new keyboard and I am having a weird problem. In E17 some of my keyboard shortcuts that use Super_L(Left Windows key) so not work. The same shortcuts work fine with Super_R work just fine. Some of my shortcuts do not seem to be affected at all. I can't figure out what the problem is at all. Simply resetting the keybindings does not seem to work.

In addition to the above problem I have noticed that I cannot drag windows between desktops unless I do it through the pager. I have tried resetting the appropriate options to no effect. I also seem to be missing the theme switcher module as well which is odd to say the least.

Any ideas on how I can fix these problems?

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
I just got a new keyboard and I am having a weird problem. In E17 some of my keyboard shortcuts that use Super_L(Left Windows key) so not work. The same shortcuts work fine with Super_R work just fine. Some of my shortcuts do not seem to be affected at all. I can't figure out what the problem is at all. Simply resetting the keybindings does not seem to work.
Don't know about this. Do other programs work fine?
Quote:
In addition to the above problem I have noticed that I cannot drag windows between desktops unless I do it through the pager.
This is the result of the devs implementing edge-bindings. Now, you can not drag windows across desktops unless you have the "switch desktop by mouse on edge" option enabled. I wonder if the devs intend to restore the earlier behaviour.
Quote:
I have tried resetting the appropriate options to no effect. I also seem to be missing the theme switcher module as well which is odd to say the least.

Any ideas on how I can fix these problems?
For the theme switcher, enable the exchange USE flag and recompile e.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the theme switcher is behaving now but I am still having that keyboard problem. Upon further investigation I have come to the conclusion that the keyboard itself is faulty. As the problem persists even on windows. It seems not to register things like win+e or win+r....This is pissing me off quite a bit.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 13 of 30

Jump to: