View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppeetteerr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: KDE4 Why? Reply with quote

So I have read countless blogs on kde4 and here's what I have learned
1. KDE4 should be 20-30% faster than 3.5 because of qt4
2. KDE4 is using some new defualt apps, goodbye kpdf and konqurer (they shall still be available just the default are new programs)
3. KDE4.0 is not quite ready for prime time but hopefully KDE4.10 will be

I've also heard a lot of hype about people wanting to switch from gnome to KDE. My question is why? Will it potentially be as fast as gnome? Are the apps that much better (Amarok is in my opinion better than anything gnome has but I'm not ready to swtich just for my music). So once again why kde4?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing kde3 already faster and less ressource hungry than gnome, why not kde (3 or 4)?

Generally the decision between gnome and kde isn't as much about speed as it is about adapting yourself to an environment (gnome) or adapting the environment to yourself (kde). And of course, the apps... I haven't looked much into gnome applications lately, generally they seem to be better integrated into the whole gnome picture, but I wouldn't trade in amarok, kate or k3b for looks. And kde4 is about to change that. Even though I'm mostly using enlightenment +kde-apps at the moment, I'm looking forward to kde4 and currently keeping a parallel 4.0.x environment. I've worked in it productively already and it's quite usable, but not yet as fast and feature-rich as kde3.

Last edited by asturm on Thu May 15, 2008 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Gentoo Chat.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE4 Why? Reply with quote

ppeetteerr wrote:

2. KDE4 is using some new defualt apps, goodbye kpdf and konqurer (they shall still be available just the default are new programs)

that is not correct. Yes, kpdf got replaced. No, konqueror didn't. It is still the webbrowser and you can still use it as filesystem browser. Dolphin was introduced for the ubuntu and gnome crowd - people too stupid to use something powerfull. And I hate it already.
But konqui ist still there and kicking.

ppeetteerr wrote:

I've also heard a lot of hype about people wanting to switch from gnome to KDE. My question is why? Will it potentially be as fast as gnome? Are the apps that much better (Amarok is in my opinion better than anything gnome has but I'm not ready to swtich just for my music). So once again why kde4?

because KDE 3.5 uses less memory than gnome - and has a lot more features. It can also adapted to your personal preferences in ways gnome could only dream about. KDE4 will probably use even less ram than that. You can use 3.5 on a 256mb machine without problems. With gnome you will end in a swap-fest. Good luck.
Add to that mix that KDE is already faster than gnome. There is no reason at all to use gnome. If you want something well integrated that can be adapted to your needs: KDE. If you need something minimal and don't care about integration: xfce or enlightenment or one of the many *box wms.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed KDE4...color me unimpressed. To me, it looks more like XFCE on steroids than it does KDE. Of course, that's an initial impression, and I admit that I haven't really played with it enough to get used to its quirks. I am not sure what I was expecting, but what I saw was certainly outside those expectations.

Of course, I realize that KDE4 is far from perfect. I'm sure as soon as more people get their hands on it and start playing with it, it will get better. For now, I'll stick with good ol' KDE3.5. It's got the looks. Its got the features. It works the way I expect. What more could I ask?

Blessed be!
Pappy
Berniyh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: KDE4 Why? Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
ppeetteerr wrote:

that is not correct. Yes, kpdf got replaced. No, konqueror didn't. It is still the webbrowser and you can still use it as filesystem browser.

Yes, but the default choice is Dolphin and that was the point. :)

Quote:
Dolphin was introduced for the ubuntu and gnome crowd - people too stupid to use something powerfull. And I hate it already.

Thanks for calling me stupid. :P
I like Dolphin and I hate Konquror (as a file manager), because it was always a mixed up app, that could do everything I didn't find the "Make muffins"-mode yet, though).
Dolphin is much more focussed and does a few things different. Different in a way, that I like.
(I've been doing file management only via cmdline for several years.)
BTW. before somebody mentions Krusader… when I packaged that one for the kde overlay (the live version), I tried it.
Oh god that's an ugly app. ^^ (Not meaning the looks, but the handling of the thing.)

pappy_mcfae wrote:
I recently installed KDE4...color me unimpressed. To me, it looks more like XFCE on steroids than it does KDE. Of course, that's an initial impression, and I admit that I haven't really played with it enough to get used to its quirks. I am not sure what I was expecting, but what I saw was certainly outside those expectations.

Of course, I realize that KDE4 is far from perfect. I'm sure as soon as more people get their hands on it and start playing with it, it will get better. For now, I'll stick with good ol' KDE3.5. It's got the looks. Its got the features. It works the way I expect. What more could I ask?

KDE4 is not only (but also, of course) about looks.
The looks are of course a personal thing and not everybody likes those, the things underneath aren't. though.
There are many changes in KDE4, which you might not see at the first glance. (Solid, Phonon, Nepomuk, Akonadi etc.)
Furthermore, it is a moving target.

KDE4.1 and KDE4.0 are quite different in many ways. Of course, at a first glance, it looks roughly the same, but there are many many small changes which sum up to a real advantage.
KDE4.2 will be quite different in the same way.

Last edited by Berniyh on Thu May 29, 2008 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Berniyh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: KDE4 Why? Reply with quote

ppeetteerr wrote:
1. KDE4 should be 20-30% faster than 3.5 because of qt4

No, it is not 30% faster. Maybe in certain situations.
Overall, in 2D mode, it is quite noticeable faster than KDE 3.5. In 3D mode, it is a bit slower, but tbh, it has been quite some time, till I tried it the last time in 3D mode and it has been getting better and better since I first tried it. So maybe it is doing ok there now.
KDE4.1 should also consume less memory than KDE4.0, because a lot of stuff has been ported to Qt, so there has been a lot of code removed (in Plasma for example).

Quote:

Yes, there are now Okular (great app), Dolphin (which some users like and some don't, but Konqeror will stay and be developed in parallel) and Gwenview (it's better than the 3.5 version, imo).

Quote:

KDE4.1 will be an "ok" release for most users, but the big point will be 4.2 imo.
(I guess, that short before 4.2 gets there I will be saying the same about 4.3 :/)

Quote:

People who use apps just because of the hype usually don't know anything, and are usually the first to complain.
If you like Gnome, use Gnome, if you like KDE, use KDE, why is that so hard to understand? :)
It is about what you like and not about what other people tell you to like. And for that simple reason, there is only one way to find out: Try it.

BTW: Gnome is not faster than KDE 3.5, that just is not true. It really depends on your settings and the things you are running in background.
Other DEs are faster, XFCE is faster and consumes normally (again it depends on your settings etc.) less memory, Gnome not.

(Note, that I'm not saying, that Gnome is slow, so no point in starting a flamewar here. :))
ppeetteerr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I installed it and toyed around with it for a while and I have to admit that I like it. The best part in my opinion is Okular. I absolutely loved kpdf I had it installed and used it in gnome, mostly for the cool little counter in slide presentations (latex beamer). But okular is fantastic. It allows you to mark up the pdf (the markups are not saved directly to the pdf but to another layer). I have a tablet and this is what I've been waiting for. Ok I'm actually waiting for pdfedit to get somewhere near stable...

There are things that tell me that kde4 is not quite ready. Small things like the fact that I can resize the task bar but it doesn't resize the clock and I can move the taskbar to the righthand side but can't read the clock. But I think it'll get a permanent spot on gdm when 4.1 comes in july
isilia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying KDE4 for a while on my laptop.. after about 2 weeks of trying to understand why people like KDE I ran off to XFCE, which does everything KDE does, with less bugs (well, 4.0.x at least) and a smaller footprint. Amarok was pretty nice though, but nothing (that I use) Exaile can't do. So much for my rant, now I'm off to bed.. good night (Europe).
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: KDE4 Why? Reply with quote

pilla wrote:

We should create a new subforum for those threads that are intended to seed a flamewar :twisted:

energyman76b wrote:
ppeetteerr wrote:

that is not correct. Yes, kpdf got replaced. No, konqueror didn't. It is still the webbrowser and you can still use it as filesystem browser. Dolphin was introduced for the ubuntu and gnome crowd - people too stupid to use something powerfull. And I hate it already.

Please, relax. There's no reason (and you have no right either) to call anyone names just because they don't think the same way yo do.

Now, to the thread. This is not about which is better, which is worse. This is about "my desktop is better than yours", and has always been and will ever be the same. The gnome crowd always claim that gtk (and hence gnome) is much lighter and faster than qt/kde (which is not true in any way). The kde people like too much shinny things for my tastes, so the result is that I don't like any of them as they are nowadays. However, there's a difference which is even more evident in gentoo: if you want to use kde programs like konqueror you don't need to install the whole kde (just kdelibs and few deps), on the contrary, if you want to install gdm you need the whole gnome desktop because -surprise?!- it depends on nautilus.

I use lots of gtk and qt applications, and a few kde programs as well. I don't use gnome programs because I'd need to install the whole gnome for that.

KDE4 is just another one (TM). There's a lot of brilliant work behind it, and technically speaking it's in theory much superior to both: gnome and previous kde versions, but it's not ready for daily usage for me, and I'd be surprised if I find me upgrading before it hits 4.2 or .3.

Cheers and peace.
jmz2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: KDE4 Why? Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
pilla wrote:

We should create a new subforum for those threads that are intended to seed a flamewar :twisted:

Ooh! That would be great. Here's a mockup for the devs to implement!

http://omploader.org/vaXR4
ppeetteerr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:

Ok, so seriously I didn't intend to start a flameware that thread would have been titled "KDE vs Gnome fight." Since switching to linux 3 1/2 years ago I have migrated from distribution to distribution (suse -> ubuntu -> gentoo) and from desktops/wm (KDE -> gnome -> fluxbox -> ratpoison -> xfce -> Gnome) (to be fair ratpoison lasted 2 weeks) . After three years I've finally found a distro (gentoo) that I like and am looking for a window manager that I'll like equally as well. KDE's website doesn't exactly sell you on it. What I wanted to know is what feature(s) is/are making you anticipate KDE4? Is it a graphical interface, a program such as okular, etc... So how bout it: what feature(s) is/are making you anticipate KDE4?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppeetteerr wrote:
i92guboj wrote:

Ok, so seriously I didn't intend to start a flameware that thread would have been titled "KDE vs Gnome fight." Since switching to linux 3 1/2 years ago I have migrated from distribution to distribution (suse -> ubuntu -> gentoo) and from desktops/wm (KDE -> gnome -> fluxbox -> ratpoison -> xfce -> Gnome) (to be fair ratpoison lasted 2 weeks) . After three years I've finally found a distro (gentoo) that I like and am looking for a window manager that I'll like equally as well. KDE's website doesn't exactly sell you on it. What I wanted to know is what feature(s) is/are making you anticipate KDE4? Is it a graphical interface, a program such as okular, etc... So how bout it: what feature(s) is/are making you anticipate KDE4?

Oh, don't worry, I was not being serious (hence the smiley at the ends of my comment. I did not want to imply that you was seeking a flamewar, it is just the nature of these threads hehe, they always turn to end the same way.
vinboy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite disappointed with the new KDE and many other big software, including Windows.

The developers are starting to run out of features to implement and now focusing on making heavy GUI. I used the word heavy instead of better GUI because they do not rearrange the GUI-components (should button go here? should textbox go there?) or find innovative way to improve the user experience, instead they make a bunch of new GUI features which is really heavy (KDE4, Windows Aero), I don't find them very useful either. Maybe in the future they will look better, but i don't know.

The problem is that they are pushing the users to upgrade their hardware without gaining performance boost.
Try running Win 98 on your current hardware, it will fly.

P.S. I love KDE. especially KDE 3.9. It's sleek, fast, stable. (I have 4GB RAM)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing with it a bit, I can say that I'm going to wait to jump on the KDE4 bandwagon. There are far too many things about it I don't like. It feels quite broken to me, and I'd rather wait until some basic things, like terminal transparency, a clock and icons in the taskbar that CAN be resized without becoming unreadable, and more than one panel available, an F4 button in konqueror that starts a konsole session in the directory from which it was launched, and so much more. Also, rather distressingly, it blew away icons in the 3.5 menu.

I much prefer KDE 3.5. I will remove KDE4 and see if I can get my errant icons back. |Crossing fingers!|

Blessed be!
Pappy

EDIT: Woohoo! My KDE 3.5 icons all came back as soon as KDE4 was gone! YAY! PARTY! It will be a while before I do something like that to my system again!

Last edited by pappy_mcfae on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinboy wrote:
The developers are starting to run out of features to implement and now focusing on making heavy GUI. I used the word heavy instead of better GUI because they do not rearrange the GUI-components (should button go here? should textbox go there?) or find innovative way to improve the user experience, instead they make a bunch of new GUI features which is really heavy (KDE4, Windows Aero), I don't find them very useful either.

this is my impression too, the "new" GUI stuff is just more of the same desktop junk we've been using for quite some time.

I was hoping to see something, revolutionary or at least innovative from a user interaction viewpoint in KDE4. but its just fancy graphics on the same old same old experience. "start button", "task bar". which is all well and good but its not something thats worth switching too. in fact 4.0 reduced usability with that horrid start menu sliding menus they implemented. though i heard its been vastly improved in 4.1 (unfortunately, i'm not sure what that means).

anyway. its still a good desktop, just not all that impressive.

you say why KDE4. I say why not KDE4? can't hurt to check it out.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickoff's (that start menu thing) look has been improved for 4.1, but the functionality is pretty much the same. If you don't like it, switch to the classic start menu (that options exists in KDE 4.0 as well).

More innovative features / interaction possibilites will surely come. The focus at the moment however is finishing to port applications (or features not yet ported) and improving stability. Notice that 4.1 is coming just six months after 4.0 and some features planned for 4.1 have been delayed for later versions due to that short time.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not judging KDE 4 until it is closer to finished.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used KDE 3.5.x, KDE 4.0.x, and GNOME for a while. Personally--and completely based on my opinions, not evidence--I like KDE 3.5 the best. To me, I just can't grasp Dolphin as the default file manager in KDE4. I really liked Konq, and it might just be that I'm a creature of habit. However I, like sonicbhoc, don't want to give total judgment to KDE4 until it is AT LEAST at 4.1.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I'm waiting 'till 4.2. :P
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start to develop a stronger opinion at 4.1 (or maybe a sub-release like 4.1.1, et cetera), but you're probably right in waiting until 4.2. :P
Benni123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed it yesterday, and now I'm going back to kde3.5.

At this point I must say that I'm somewhat scared by KDE4. For which persons have they developed this thing?
I work with Linux because i can configure it precisely to what I want it to.

GUI's should bring the various possibilities of configuration in a Linux system to the beginner.
But it seems, that KDE has reduced its configuration abilities!
Also it has Bugs. It did not connect to my soundcard, it did not start from KDM (only with startkde command), sometimes, the configure panel did not appear after I clicked at it....
Its buttons are too large and unstructured (I want the toolbar from kde3 back...)
(I have not tested the 3D features, because I really do not want such a thing....)

I want a desktop which does make my work more easy. This includes, that I want to have my programs and all configuration tools possible at fast reach. I do not need an unconfigurable 3D Desktop that does not recognize my soundcard and has problems to start.

For me, it seems, that they have designed this program to attract Microsoft windows N00b's as their users. KDE4 seems to be written for people who do not want to have any control over their machine. People who only play games but do not anything serious and are scared by every more complex option of a computer program.

And no, I even did it not find faster as KDE3.5
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These same types of concerns were voiced when 3.0 came out as well. 3.5 is really stable, and it is my hope (and I'm sure the hope of most KDE users and developers) that KDE4 will follow that same pattern of usability.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time KDE4 certainly isn't in a state comparable to KDE3. It's still under heavy development. Of course it isn't meant to reduce any configuration abilities, those will be added step by step with KDE4.1 (KDE4.0.4 has already brought many improvements on the configuration front compared to the initial KDE4.0 release) and KDE4.2. By then it should finally be recommendable to end users.
Berniyh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benni123 wrote:
But it seems, that KDE has reduced its configuration abilities!

Just temporary.
The initial KDE4.0 lacked a lot of config options.

In KDE4.1, many options returned (though not everything is yet there).

The important note:
There has been no change in the philosophy (some thought, that they go the GNOME way, throwing most stuff away, that "might confuse" people), but there has been no change. It is, that some things are not yet implemented.

BTW. Don't use KDE 4.0.x, KDE 4.1 (currently around beta) is far more stable already.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: