Having Install Trouble with 2008.0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezacharyk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Having Install Trouble with 2008.0 Reply with quote

Alright, I need some suggestions here.

I have been trying to find a Linux distro to work on my machine. For some reason, Ubuntu and Debian don't work and I don't really like Mandriva.

So I decided to try Gentoo after having it suggested.

I am trying to install on my desktop. Here is the hardware:

DFI NS30 motherboard
Bios PhoenixTech 6.00PG
Intel Celeron 1.7GHz processor
nVidia NV20 Geforce3 Ti 200
128 Megs of RAM
I have two IDE hard drives Master is 20Gigs Slave is 40Gigs
CD Drive (Read only)

I can't run the live cd. When it runs it gets to where is tries to load the GUI and it hangs.

I have tried the minimal cd and get as far as downloading Stage3 and right as it finishes the download, I get an out of memory error and it won't continue.

Is there a way to run the Live cd outside of GUI mode ore a way to combine the minimal install with the Stage3?

Or any other suggestions would be helpful.[/list]
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the minimal install CD and be sure to immediately activate your new swap partition after creating it. I haven't read the manual recently, but it should have told you to do that before you got to the part about downloading the stage3 file. You should probably make your swap partition at least 512MB, but you'll most likely need 1 to 2 GB if you plan on trying to compile any large applications like OpenOffice. I have a 1GB swap partition even though I have 768MB of memory in my system. Just as an example.

EDIT: I bet you tried to download the stage3 file somewhere other than your newly mounted gentoo root partition like the manual tells you to do. That would explain the out of memory error. Make sure that you have mounted your root partition on /mnt/gentoo and changed directory into it "cd /mnt/gentoo" before you download the stage3 file.
ezacharyk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that may be it. I think I may have botched that section without realizing it. I will give it a try again and see what happens.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: