Printing to shared Windows printer via CUPS/Samba never ends
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romandas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Printing to shared Windows printer via CUPS/Samba never ends Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have an HP OfficeJet All-in-one 5610 connected to a Windows XP SP2 machine, firewall disabled, and shared out to specific users (including one named printer). Everyone permissions were removed (though the problem existed even when they were present).

I have connected to it via CUPS on my x86_64 Gentoo build using Windows via SAMBA, using smb://username:password@workgroup/server/printername, and the correct hpijs driver (HP OfficeJet 5600 series).

When I try to print a test page from CUPS, the printer starts blinking, the printing mechanism moves for a moment like it is preparing to print, and then never prints the test page. It is now a half hour later, and the printer is still blinking. CUPS reports the job "complete", but Windows says it's still printing.

Oddly, in CUPS, the job was only 19K, however Windows lists it as 4+ MB.

Any ideas?
swingkyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I can really help...but here is just an idea:
Have you set up CUPS and Samba to forward the raw PCM data to your windows box printer driver? ...Or, have you set up a CUPS PS driver on your windows box and forward raw PS data through Samba?
There is a bug on the latter case for windows. Have a look here if you haven't already:
direct link
PS: this probably is the wrong forum for this request. Maybe "INstalling Gentoo"?
romandas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: How do I check this? Reply with quote

How do I check to see what data Samba is sending to Windows? I am quite sure I don't have it set up the latter way, because I didn't change anything on the Windows machine; only the Linux one.
swingkyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you sorted this out yet?
I managed to get mine working using swat while ensuring I have installed the correct driver. it worked using the smb:// terminology. You just have to ensure your smbpasswd file is set up correctly in samba.
romandas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Not yet.. Reply with quote

I haven't sorted this out yet. What needs to be in smbpasswd? The username and password for the XP system?
swingkyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Not yet.. Reply with quote

romandas wrote:
I haven't sorted this out yet. What needs to be in smbpasswd? The username and password for the XP system?

yes. this is what needs to be in the smbpasswd directory.
have you used the swat interface to set up the cups printer?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: