[solved] Gentoo Install networking/connection problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morf99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: [solved] Gentoo Install networking/connection problem Reply with quote

Hi, I have been using linux on and off for a while now but am a complete gentoo novice.

I am currently trying to install gentoo and is proving to be slow going and a challenge. Both of which I was to be expecting. I have, however, reached an impass to which I cannot seem to find a solution. I have been following along the lines of the gentoo handbook along with a couple of other googled rescouces. I have reaced step 5 in the handbook process but I am having trouble getting my network card to function properly (this is atleast my best guess). My card is a mini-pci belkin card using the rt2500 chip connected to my laptop's pcmcia slot.

I am now at the

Code:
livecd root #

prompt trying to connect to the net mirriors to emerge some programs and setup the kernel. When I try to emerge a package I consistently get

Code:
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "xxxxx"

Similarly if I try to use links to get the stage3 tarball I get "host not found" this along with the lacks of flashing lights on the card leads me to beleive something is amiss here. I do get a command line telling me when the card gets unplugged and a startup message when I plug it back in. I tried some of the solutions listed http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/gentoo-linux-help/49816-getting-3com-megahertz-pcmcia-up-running-gentoo.html and for some time last night managed to get an active connection and emerge some but since restarting I am back to the same problem and last nights solution not seeming to work any longer. One of the puzzling aspects for me is that if I try /etc/init.d/pcmcia start I get

Code:
bash: /etc/init.d/pcmcia: No such file or directory

I checked the direction to make sure no typo and there is no pcmcia there.

The iwconfig reads

Code:

lo                   no wireless extensions

ra0                 RT2500 Wireless ""
                     Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 Ghz Bit Rate: 54 Mb/s Tx-Power: 0dBm
                      RTS thr:off Fragment thr: off
                     Encryption key:6261-6E61-6E61-6d61-6E00-0000-00 Security mode:restricted
                     Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=-120 dBm Noise Level: -192dBm     
                     Rx Invalid nwid: 0 Rx Invalid crypt: 0 Rx Invaliif frag:0
                     Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid Misdc: 0 Missed beacon:0

eth0               no wireless extensions

from lspci

Code:
06:00.0 Network controller: Ralink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCO (rev 01)

Also a little bewildered as there is no net.ra0 in /etc/init.d/ either although I have no idea what that means or if it should be there.

Any help to get my inytallation moving firther along would be greatly appriciated :)

Last edited by Morf99 on Sat May 17, 2008 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
mamac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Install networking/connection problem Reply with quote

Hi,
Morf99 wrote:
...I tried some of the solutions listed http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/gentoo-linux-help/49816-getting-3com-megahertz-pcmcia-up-running-gentoo.html and for some time last night managed to get an active connection and emerge some but since restarting I am back to the same problem and last nights solution not seeming to work any longer...

This is weird, which live cd do you use?

To know if it works you can just try to ping www.gentoo.org.

In the handbook they recommend to use 'net-setup eth0' (ra0 in your case), did you try that? Even if that doesn't help at least we could have some interesting error message.

Your result of iwconfig looks good, it seems you have the right driver but the card can't associate with the AP and get an IP.

What's your wireless conf ?

Can't you use a network cable (at least for the installation) and install the wireless once your system is up?
Morf99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for your quick reply.

Yes sorry I didn't forget to mention a couple of thing in the mess of trying to get it all written down. I tried the net-setup ra0 and the process runs to completion where it prints
Code:
 Type "ifconfig" to make sure the interface was configured properly

the output of ifconfig is

Code:
ra0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:50:11:72:AA
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:237415 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 Mb)  TX bytes:9496600 (9.0 Mb)
          Interrupt:1 Base address:0x8000

I also tried dhcpcd ra0 and this just timed out.

My network is setup through a wireless netgear rangemax router (I think that was the scope of the question)

Edit: I'm using the 2007.0 universal x86 cd.

I will try to give a go at a wired installation now.

Sorry if I missed anything, thanks again :)

Last edited by Morf99 on Fri May 16, 2008 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mamac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morf99 wrote:
My network is setup through a wireless netgear rangemax router (I think that was the scope of the question)

Well, not really... :wink:
The question was more if you use unsecured, wep or wpa?