Move to Logical Hard drive partitions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlcomstock3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Move to Logical Hard drive partitions Reply with quote

I have a nice dual booted system, Ubuntu 7.10 and WinXP (winxp only because I have to for school).

I have been interested in Gentoo for years, and have struggled with installations over the course of that time. I bought a Thinkpad T61 which I love, and would like to play with a Gentoo install. When I initially set it up I made some installation decisions that used up all the physical partitions on my hard drive (/boot, swap, /, NTFS). I can reinstall Ubuntu any time... But the winxp was such a pain I don't want to go through that again. Is there a way I can create a logical partition and move my physical partitions into it? I tried to search for a thread already talking about this, but I am not sure what to search for. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Robert

Just so you know I bought a winxp pro install (wiped the vista I had) and when I installed it didn't have the drivers for either of my internet devices (wired or wireless) so I had to find the diver, move it to a USB then move it over... Then it took about 4 hours to find and install all the necessary specific drivers for my laptop.... Hence I would rather not start from scratch.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Move to Logical Hard drive partitions Reply with quote

rlcomstock3 wrote:
I can reinstall Ubuntu any time... But the winxp was such a pain I don't want to go through that again.

Ok, that makes things easy. Just delete all your Ubuntu partitions, and don't touch the Windows one, then install Gentoo (and possibly Ubuntu as well) in the free space.

If 3 partitions for Gentoo and Ubuntu doesn't seem like enough, then set it up like this.
    /dev/sda1 Extended
    /dev/sda4 Windows
    /dev/sda5 Linux
    /dev/sda6 Linux
    /dev/sda7 Linux
    /dev/sda8 Linux

Just keep in mind, Windows requires at least 1 primary partition to boot from. Linux does not have any such requirement, and can boot from any partition.
Maliwik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlcomstock3,

Welcome to Gentoo!

Another suggestion might be to look into LVM2. LVM2 is a logical volume management system which has an easy way of extending and shrinking partitions after you create them. It works kind of the same way as a Logical Partition layout does, except there is no limit to how many logical volumes you can have. You can read more about it here. Also, this is the link to the Gentoo LVM2 guide.

--Mike
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: