Pulseaudio from Gentoo to Windows
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Pulseaudio from Gentoo to Windows Reply with quote

I have now two computers at home, a Gentoo PC and a Windows one. The speaker set is on the Windows machine (for 3D sound in game).

Now I would like to send the sound from the gentoo machine to the Windows PC, and I found out that PulseAudio (http://pulseaudio.org/) seems like the best fit. However documentation is sparse to say the least. The "server", "sink" denomination is unclear to me.

I followed the wiki to install PulseAudio on gentoo but there is not much information on how to make two PC works together. Especially on the windows part of course. Plus the command line info does seem to work under windows as expected.

I just wonder if anyone has a similar working set-up ? windows is running the "server" right ? and gentoo the "client" ?

So far I failed to :
- start the windows pulseaudio.exe as a daemon server under windows (it crashes).
- understand the difference between the server and the sink

Any clue, link , advice is welcome.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok got it.. sort of.

[Windows PC]
Windows installation file do not contain any configuration.
For a simple set-up as mine (all Gentoo sounds sent to Windows PC), make a default.pa file in the pulseaudio folder under windows with :

Code:
load-module module-waveout
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1;192.168.0.0/16

Then create a new shorcut in Windows startup folder, browse to the pulseaudio.exe file, then add the -D option on the command line.
Double-click that to start the daemon right away.

(launcher is mandatory because starting from command.com does not release the command and kill process if you close the terminal)

[Gentoo PC]
In /etc/pulse/client.conf set up the server line to the ip or name of your windows box :
Quote:
default-server = windows_box_name

Then on Gentoo, start the applet "Pulse Audio Device Chooser".

Now not all apps are pulseaudio ready so not everything works. But getting there.

PS: I still don't really know what a sink is, but it works set on default ;)
handyman5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about PulseAudio, but the server/source and sink terminology is a common engineering term.

Essentially, the source is a one-way flow of something (in this case, data) that must be dealt with in some way. A sink is the thing you use to deal with that flow. For example, you could have a source generating and pushing out streaming audio data over a network, and a sink that takes that data and plays it through speakers connected to a different computer. The neat thing is that the source is not exclusive to the sink; in order words, you could have multiple sources (different computers generating sound), and multiple sinks (different computers playing sound to speakers), and change them dynamically without rebuilding the whole works. :D You can also have sinks that do different things, such as taking that stream of audio data and maybe saving it to the hard drive for later playback, or analyzing it to match patterns in the sound, or rebroadcasting it over the Internet, or converting it into a different format, etc. etc. The source doesn't know, and doesn't care, as long as the sink can understand the data that the source generates.

Hope this helps a little!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: