View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pingy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: looking for transparency in openbox Reply with quote

Ok,

I have installed openbox, xcompmgr, 3ddesk, screenlets, and transset

I would like to make it where when I switch applications it changes the transparency of my previously used application(like the focous level = % of transparency)

Then I would like to make it were screenlets automatically loads when i start openbox

and I would like a better 3ddesk for openbox if possible(like beryl/compiz but that you can use with openbox)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: looking for transparency in openbox Reply with quote

Pingy wrote:
Ok,

I have installed openbox, xcompmgr, 3ddesk, screenlets, and transset

I would like to make it where when I switch applications it changes the transparency of my previously used application(like the focous level = % of transparency)

I don't know if there's a way to do this. I guess it's impossible unless openbox has a way to fire up a given event each time that you change the window focus.

Quote:

Then I would like to make it were screenlets automatically loads when i start openbox

Put whatever command is needed to start them in your .xinitrc file if you are starting openbox from command line via startx. If you are using a graphical login manager, you will have to check the documentation of that login manager to locate where it read the session files from, and then modify the one about openbox or create a new one. I think that gdm uses the files under /etc/X11/Sessions and kde the files under /usr/share/xsessions/, but not sure.

In any case, I don't know if screenlets are dependant on compiz. You should check that first. I don't really know since I am not much into eye-candy.

Quote:
and I would like a better 3ddesk for openbox if possible(like beryl/compiz but that you can use with openbox)

My humble opinion is that, If you really want to use that much nice things you should really be using compiz instead. There's no way to get a *light* compositing desktop, it doesn't matter you use openbox. The compositing manager will suck up your ram the same. Just use compiz and use the effects in a smart way.
Pingy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont only use openbox for its light weight, I use it because its scripted for my personal likes, if i was going minimal I would be going into blackbox or evilwm or something like that, I'm looking for something that is amazing, i guess a eye catcher and the ability to check my mail and all other information from the desktop to me is just lovely:)
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use openbox with compiz, both are WM's. So it's one or another... I use openbox with ROX desktop and have fusion-icon installed for easy switch between them. I think screenlets will work with xcompmgr, or any other composite manager (I think I read somewhere recently that in new version screenlets will work without composite manager, but I am not sure...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: