Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT!

Six weeks ago, I built a system from ground-up with GCC 3.3 -- I ended up having to use a lot of CVS sources (for gcc itself, grub, and mozilla) in order to get everyone to play together.

Glad to see that things are settling down. (if you can call it that...)

Seriously, we do some technical computing here, and have found that gcc 3.3 emits better code in some cases. Mostly for the FORTRAN stuff.

I ran into problems with my gcc-3.3 gentoo system, namely glbc seemed to be b0rken when compiling static apps, so I've reverted back to 3.2.3 -- I missed the ProPolice patches anyhow.

But gcc 3.3 is way better at agressive optimizations, I think. And like I said some folks here think the gcc 3.3 is better for numerical computation.

But I could see little difference for a desktop/programming workstation. (I run ~x86, PIII Coppermine laptop)
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my third attempt to make this post.... apparently there are some stability issues in the 2.6 kernels.... ;] i think i may have it fixed however...
anyways... on to responding to some of the posts...

TheCoop wrote:
now having problems with libnids, dsniff and sniffit

well, libnids is a dependant of dsniff, but so is a depreciated libnet that i cannot get to compile w/ gcc 3.3 either... and as it is depreciated, i am a bit hesitant to leap into debugging it.
however, sniffit is fixed... grab it from...
bugzilla: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25328

watersb wrote:
But gcc 3.3 is way better at agressive optimizations, I think. And like I said some folks here think the gcc 3.3 is better for numerical computation.
But I could see little difference for a desktop/programming workstation. (I run ~x86, PIII Coppermine laptop)

gcc 3.3 is probably better all around at optimizing... but especially on athlons due to the work that has gone into the Hammer x86-64 architecture... biggest thing for your p3 coppermine is probably the "-mfpmath=sse", which may well work better in 3.3 than in previous versions, but i have no conclusive evidence of that, nor have i heard of any...

as to a general description of what i have patched up to get my sys up w/ gcc 3.3.... i'll try to get to it sometime.. things are rather hectic over here, and my computer became quite unstable these last 2 days for some reason (no, i don't think its gcc 3.3: _no_ application crashes; only total system freezes...)

anywho... i'll try to post it sometime. =] i haven't forgotten.

-i
alinv
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCoop wrote:
that patch is applied during the emerge but it still fails, complaining about misuse of the ?: conditional (middle term missing)

Removing -ffast-math from CFLAGS will solve the problem.
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watersb wrote:

I ran into problems with my gcc-3.3 gentoo system, namely glbc seemed to be b0rken when compiling static apps, so I've reverted back to 3.2.3 -- I missed the ProPolice patches anyhow.

Well, I am getting hit with the cluestick...

My problem with broken static apps had nothing to do with gcc 3.3, and has more to do with compiling glibc and gcc itself with the ProPolice stack protection.

I am using gcc-3.3 with ProPolice stack-smash protection now, but I filter the -fstack-protector flag from glibc and gcc. I am posting nonsense related to this at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25299
magrathea
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: ttmkfdir-3.0.9-gcc33.patch problem Reply with quote

Im having problems with ttmkdir aslo.
Code:

* Applying ttmkfdir-3.0.9-gcc33.patch...                                                                                               [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked.
libtool --mode=compile g++ -Wall -pedantic -I/usr/include/freetype2  -O3 -march=athlon-xp -fmove-all-movables -fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops  -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -pipe -o ttmkfdir.o -c ttmkfdir.cpp
mkdir .libs
g++ -Wall -pedantic -I/usr/include/freetype2 -O3 -march=athlon-xp -fmove-all-movables -fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -pipe -c ttmkfdir.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/ttmkfdir.lo
In file included from /usr/include/math.h:362,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/include/g++-v3/cmath:51,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/include/g++-v3/bits/locale_facets.tcc:41,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/include/g++-v3/locale:47,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/include/g++-v3/bits/ostream.tcc:37,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/include/g++-v3/ostream:535,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/include/g++-v3/iostream:45,
                 from ttmkfdir.cpp:2:
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h: In function `long double __expm1l(long double)
   ':
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h:385: error: ISO C++ forbids omitting the middle
   term of a ?: expression
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h: In function `double expm1(double)':
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h:532: error: ISO C++ forbids omitting the middle
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h: In function `float expm1f(float)':
/usr/include/bits/mathinline.h: In function `long double expm1l(long double)':
make: *** [ttmkfdir.o] Error 1

!!! ERROR: x11-misc/ttmkfdir-3.0.9 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 30, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

Dont know why Im getting this, Im rebuildning the system from a knoppix cd. No bigger problemes until the ttkfdir problem. Is this package absolutely needed or can I block it and do emerge --resume, to resume my broken emerge -e ??

linux-2.6.0-test6-mm1
gcc (GCC) 3.3.1 20030916 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.1-r4, propolice)
xp-athlon

My CFLAGS:
Code:
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -fmove-all-movables -fprefetch-loop-arrays -funroll-loops
-fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

Cossins wrote:
There should be a patch for ttmkfdir in portage... Try emerge sync, or ~x86.

Code:
$ ls -l /usr/portage/x11-misc/ttmkfdir/files/*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          529 Jul 21 23:46   ttmkfdir-3.0.9-gcc33.patch

- Simon

4ngel;laptop 333mhz, dvd, 256mb RAM, 10gb HD 5400 rpm, ati rage lt pro 4mb
--------------------
illusion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: ttmkfdir-3.0.9-gcc33.patch problem Reply with quote

magrathea wrote:
Code:
   ':

This error is in your standard lib includes, not in ttmkfdir. I don't know why you would be having this... i'll try to look into it further and post here, just clarifying that this isn't ttmkfdir related.

-i
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ttmkfdir-3.0.9-gcc33.patch problem Reply with quote

illusion wrote:
magrathea wrote:
Code:
   ':

This error is in your standard lib includes, not in ttmkfdir. I don't know why you would be having this... i'll try to look into it further and post here, just clarifying that this isn't ttmkfdir related.

-i

someone mentioned looking into it further...any news? (I'm having the same problem...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: