[solved] dark themes and browsers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: [solved] dark themes and browsers Reply with quote

I use galeon (mozilla-based browser) and a dark gtk theme and originally had a problem that web pages were often unreadable because of the dark theme - this link fixed that: http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9331&highlight=dark+theme&sid=d50dbeab430d10876a3cd0e96f048e54

But now the problem is that *some* of the foums I visit, the text entry box is a dark fg color and a dark bg color meaning I can't see what I'm typing - it's not like this for all of them but does anyone know a trick I can use that keeps the reversed colors from that link tip except when it comes to a text entry box or something?

Last edited by nordic bro on Wed May 28, 2008 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that the way I've been getting around that dark fg/bg text entry box problem is to close the browser, use gtl-theme-switch to switch to a light-colored them, restart galeon then switch back to my dark theme - I end up with my dark them and all the text entry colors work fine. So is that a clue about how maybe something somewhere can be tweaked whereby I don't need to do this theme switching when I start galeon?
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most modern browsers allow you to set a user stylesheet. With that you could override the site's settings with your own for these selected elements.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
Most modern browsers allow you to set a user stylesheet. With that you could override the site's settings with your own for these selected elements.

Feel like telling me how (or point to a resource)? :)

I've been plonking around on internet searching on some firefox vars like "editor.bg_color" and so forth but that seems to be a thunderbird-only setting; I loaded some adv prefs extension and tried adding another 'editor*' which a resource page indicated was a more generic var that might work but it didn't fix the problem.

My problems are I don't know 1) what to change (i.e., do I do a "view source" and try to see what the web site names the text entry box?) and 2) what to do to change it.

I have the userC*.css files set and working but I don't know what to put in them (for this specific problem). I'm already using this in userContent.css which is correctly reversing the bl/wh for web pages in general but I can't figure out how to assign a specific site's text entry box the other direction.

Code:

html {
   color: black;
   background: white;
}
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try adding something like this to userContent.css:
Code:
textarea {
    background: #333 !important;
    color: #fff !important;
}

If you use Firefox, the Stylish and EditCSS extensions are very helpful.

Some more info can be found at:
http://www.squarefree.com/userstyles/
http://userstyles.org/
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help - I can now change the text box properties for some of the problematic sites but the one I started off trying to get working refuses to cooperate :)

I fiddled with some of the colors in the theme gtkrc and it looks like what that site uses for its text boxes are for everyone else major parts of the theme which is never going to work (like the theme color that controls radio button bg and menu dropdown bg will alter this guy's text entry box colors).

It's a "simple machines" forum so I think I'm just going to email that guy and see if he has some suggestions; also looking at some of your links maybe I can construct something specific to his url if galeon will take that sort of thing.

Thanks again for the tips.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: