View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Recruit0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: xorg.conf Reply with quote

I'm trying to use KDE and I get "cannot start in framebuffer mode please specify BusIDs for all framebuffer devices". I'm supposed to add it to my xorg.conf file but I don't have one but I do have the example file. Can I just cp the example file as xorg.conf and edit that or that won't work correctly? Then I could just add the BusID thing to the device section.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should make yourself an xorg.conf.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml :D
termite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before starting X, do a
Code:
X -configure

That will get a basic xorg.conf for you.
trapdoor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could get a "Knoppix" Live CD and Copy the xorg.conf from there, worked fine for me!
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you could run xorgconfig, the application built into xorg that configures it without extra pain.

Blessed be!
Pappy
Recruit0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to find info on the monitor for this laptop (Gateway M-6846). Is it really important to specify the v/h sync rate? In case I can't find it.

With X -configure, I'm getting an error about failing to load module atimisc, which looks like a ATI driver and I'm pretty sure that's wrong because I have Intel gfx. Should I get the driver or I really dont need it?

I was looking at the warning about no matching Device section for BusID PCI:0:2:1. I used lspci and it says it's a intel display controller. Above that is a intel VGA display controller, PCI:0:2:0 (which was auto added in xorg.conf.new in the Monitor section) My laptop has another monitor plug for an external monitor. Am I getting this warning because of this? Or is it my intel gfx card and the other one is the actual device for the monitor? If this warning is for an external monitor then I can ignore the warning if I don't plan on using it right?

I wish I could just c/p the output but I can't get it to work. My mouse works in the fb console but I can't seem to c/p stuff into links (browser).
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruit0 wrote:
I'm still trying to find info on the monitor for this laptop (Gateway M-6846). Is it really important to specify the v/h sync rate? In case I can't find it.

Yes, and no. When using xorgconfig, I generally choose monitor option #6 31.5 - 48.5; Non-Interlaced SVGA, 1024x768 @ 60 Hz, 800x600 @ 72 Hz, and follow that with #1 on the next question, which is the vertical sync range. The next option allows you to set the basic resolutions you want. I always go for the 24 bit color myself.

Quote:
With X -configure, I'm getting an error about failing to load module atimisc, which looks like a ATI driver and I'm pretty sure that's wrong because I have Intel gfx. Should I get the driver or I really dont need it?

If you know you have an Intel video chip, choose #16 from the video card section; the i810 driver (Make sure you've emerged that driver). Then finish it up.

Quote:
I was looking at the warning about no matching Device section for BusID PCI:0:2:1. I used lspci and it says it's a intel display controller. Above that is a intel VGA display controller, PCI:0:2:0 (which was auto added in xorg.conf.new in the Monitor section) My laptop has another monitor plug for an external monitor. Am I getting this warning because of this? Or is it my intel gfx card and the other one is the actual device for the monitor? If this warning is for an external monitor then I can ignore the warning if I don't plan on using it right?

I'd really have to see your lspci to tell more. I really can't answer until I do.

Quote:
I wish I could just c/p the output but I can't get it to work. My mouse works in the fb console but I can't seem to c/p stuff into links (browser).

Yeah, it's going to be a PITA until you get things going. I'd strongly suggest you read the gentoo X documents, this one being the most important.

Good luck.

Blessed be!
Pappy
FlorianSchmidt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first post reads like you are trying to set up an X server using framebuffer, this should be possible, but are you sure that this is what you want? Or do you just want to have an running X server?
Recruit0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a running X server. If fb = better gfx then I want that too but I'm not sure what a fb is for. Wiki says something about Unix manipulating hw directly rather than using fbs so then I shouldn't use it or no?

EDIT: I'm in KDE right now but I'm working on some errors. After exiting KDE I get a error failed to vsync blank or something. I think the missing BusID section warning may be for an extra display which I don't plan on using but idk. Here's my lspci:

Quote:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Contoller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation Mobile IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Mobile SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: