[renamed] [solved??] cannot emerge any mythtv plugins
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: [renamed] [solved??] cannot emerge any mythtv plugins Reply with quote

not sure what I did...deleted some old library files that my non-portage install created (but I thought I did that earlier), and re-emerged mythvideo with the "mplayer" use flag set. Did not think I did anything to fix it, but whatever was making my emerge use incorrect libraries (libmyth?) is now fixed.

-dvh

I must be missing something simple in the gentoo (portage) install of mythtv. I have been running mythtv on gentoo for several years, but I have been building from SVN directly, because I always thought I needed some feature that had not yet made it to a mythtv "release". of course, this method requires some additional work, assuring dependencies manually, etc. I wish to now simply use what portage has, as this DVR is now needed daily, and I cannot experiment with it anymore.

I emerged what I thought I needed (mythtv, mythvideo, mythdvd) and all seemed to work fine. The backend and frontend seem to load and run fine, but I cannot invoke either mythvideo or mythdvd from the menu. selecting either seems to produce no action whatsoever...like these plugins are not seen by the main program.

any ideas what I may have missed? is there some emerge order, like maybe plugins first then mythtv, or something like this? I don't see any use flags that seem related. Anyone else seen this?

-dvh

Last edited by dvh on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:44 am; edited 2 times in total
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you installing 0.21? If so mythdvd is actually part of mythvideo. I think the media-plugins/mythdvd-0.21 ebuild is just a stub that can be unmerged after upgrades. That still wouldn't explain what you have happening however.

I'm running mythtv with mythvideo (0.21) with no issues and before that had no problems with 0.20.2.

If there were some actual incompatibility with plugins I'd think it would fail altogether. Perhaps you're running into a problem with an incompatible theme...that can do some odd stuff. I'd also check what the frontend log says when you try to envoke those.

Tom
dvh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, Tom. I'm trying to run 0.20.2, but I may enable keyword and go to 0.21. Never thought about the theme causing a problem, but that could be it. As for the logs, the front end log shows nothing in response to the menu selections...its like they never happened. I guess if the theme were the issue, then perhaps no indication is produced by the GUI, so no log? logical enough...I will give that a try.

-dvh
dvh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new information...when I start the frontend, I see two messages, one associated with each of the plugins in question (mythdvd and mythvideo)

Code:

2008-06-01 11:34:09.407 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.
2008-06-01 11:34:09.445 MythPlugin::Init() dlerror: /usr/lib/mythtv/plugins/libmythdvd.so: undefined symbol: _ZN19ConfigurationDialog8addChildEP12Configurable
2008-06-01 11:34:09.445 Unable to initialize plugin 'mythdvd'.
2008-06-01 11:34:09.472 MythPlugin::Init() dlerror: /usr/lib/mythtv/plugins/libmythvideo.so: undefined symbol: _ZN19ConfigurationDialog8addChildEP12Configurable
2008-06-01 11:34:09.473 Unable to initialize plugin 'mythvideo'.
2008-06-01 11:34:09.475 Mediamonitor: Adding /dev/cdrom
2008-06-01 11:34:09.481 Mediamonitor: Adding /dev/dvd

so the plugins are not being loaded because of some undefined symbol. looks like the versions of the plugins that I have compiled are not compatible with the version of mythtv? I know that they showed different revision numbers (at the tail of the package name), but I assumed that portage would only allow me compatable versions. Is there something I need to do to assure matching versions through the set?

-dvh
dvh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I decided to upgrade my kernel and go for version 0.21 of mythtv. mythtv seems to compile and run OK, but I cannot compile any plugins. for example, when I try to compile mythvideo, I get this message:
Code:

make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p17105/work/mythplugins-0.21/mythvideo/mtd'
g++ -c -pipe -march=athlon-xp -g -Wall -Wno-switch -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -Wall -W -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -DNDEBUG -D_REENTRANT  -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPREFIX=\"/usr\" -DMMX -Di386 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/qt/3/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/mythtv -I/usr/qt/3/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -o main.o main.cpp
main.cpp: In function `void <unnamed>::playVCD()':
main.cpp:303: error: 'class MythContext' has no member named 'sendPlaybackStart'
main.cpp:305: error: 'class MythContext' has no member named 'sendPlaybackEnd'
main.cpp: In function `void <unnamed>::playDVD()':
main.cpp:355: error: 'class MythContext' has no member named 'sendPlaybackStart'
main.cpp:357: error: 'class MythContext' has no member named 'sendPlaybackEnd'
make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p17105/work/mythplugins-0.21/mythvideo/mythvideo'
make[1]: *** [sub-mythvideo] Error 2

and then a short time later, the emerge dies with this:
Code:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [mtd] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p17105/work/mythplugins-0.21/mythvideo/mtd'
make[1]: *** [sub-mtd] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p17105/work/mythplugins-0.21/mythvideo'
make: *** [sub-mythvideo] Error 2
 * ERROR: media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p17105 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 2491:  Called mythtv-plugins_src_compile
 *             environment, line 2226:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake || die "make failed to compile"
 *  The die message:
 *   make failed to compile
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p17105/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p17105/temp/environment'.

my version of mythtv is: media-tv/mythtv-0.21_P17100
and mythvideo is: media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p17105

if anyone has a clue why mythvideo shows data structures which are not defined, please help. It seems like some library I have is out of date, but I think my compile of mythtv should bring them up to date, no??

please help if you can.

-dvh
dvh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: cannot emerge mythtv plugins Reply with quote

renaming the above post, because my problem is now different!

-dvh
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, here are the versions I'm running with no problems:

media-tv.mythtv-0.21_p16944
media-plugins/mythvideo-0.21_p16468

These were the newest versions that happened to be in portage when I decided to unmask and upgrade from 0.20.2. Since they were working great, I decided not to upgrade at all until newer versions actually go stable.

If you're still having compile problems with 0.21 you might want to try clearing the directory where portage puts the svn source. I'm not at home and don't remember exactly what that is (maybe /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src??). If there's an old version there svn may try to upgrade it and cause problems.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: