Catalyst 8.5 (8.493)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.tomi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Catalyst 8.5 (8.493) Reply with quote

Just informing that ATI released new Catalyst drivers.
Looking forward to your tests. ^^

Quote:
Driver version: 8.493
NEW FEATURES: (1) Catalyst(amcccle) introduces Mipmap Detail, Catalyst A.I., and AA Filters in 3D page.
ISSUES RESOLVED: (1) Support for video playback on the second head in dual head mode. (2) Change VT no longer fails when kernel module is not loaded. (3) Fixed display corruption in X when switching VT multiple times. (4) The Preference page in Catalyst(amcccle) is now localized for all supported languages. (5) Fixed Google Earth issues when launched in horizontal mode or running maximized. (6) Fixed SPECViewperf segmentation fault with ATI FireGL V5100 series product on SUSE 10.3 x86. (7) Fixed SPECviewperf 8.1 64bit version issues on IGP systems. (8) Fixed Maya 2008 issues when moving the render window. (9) Fixed glxgears segmentation faults and corruption issues in big destop mode.
a.b.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrolling in Firefox with with AIGLX feels a lot smoother. Maybe it's just a placebo, I don't really care :D.
On the downside, there's a watermark saying "Testing use only" in the lower right corner, I hope it's possible to disable it.

You can use the ebuild of 8.476 for installing, just change the SRC_URI. The old patches work as well.

EDIT: Phoronix has some info on the new release as well as a workaround for the watermark.
Wojtek_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The naming policy seems really weird. For the past year they've been talking about unifying the name with the Windows driver and naming drivers X.Y where X is the last digit of the year and Y is the release month's number. Finally they reached a driver that could be called 8-5 and, in fact, it was named 8.493! I have a feeling that it is some sort of a test release and we might see another release coming really soon (beginning of June?).
Anyway, how is playing videos with aiglx doing? Still flickering?
Cheers,

Wojtek
ATi Mobility Radeon X1800 256MB DDR3
2x120GB HDD
Intel High Definition Audio
deviljelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.b. wrote:
Scrolling in Firefox with with AIGLX feels a lot smoother. Maybe it's just a placebo, I don't really care :D.

Interestingly I've been hacking a real time thread monitor in Java (SWT) this week.... the performance of the GUI component on my Thinkpad T60p has been a pain but upgrading to 8.493 dropped CPU on this dual core/M56 machine from ~60% to ~30%.

I can really see a difference.

I gave up on compiz fusion on Sunday when i bought an Iiyama E2403WS...... maybe I''l fire it back up again to see if it's better... no news about compiz on this driver on Phoronix forums yet.

UPDATE: Just tried the new Opera beta on these drivers at 1920x1200.... sweet... I prefer Konqueror but I might change..... the new faster netscape-flash 10 beta helps too....

UPDATE2: Tried Compiz Fusion cvs.... the hang during maximize is still there for me..... other operations feel smoother.... video is still screwed..... I may try kde 4.04 kwin+composite a bit later...but now I'm back to regular 3.5.9 kde/kwin on AIGLX... yesterday I downloaded the full HD WALL-E trailer... it was quite choppy... will see if these drivers help.....

UPDATE3: Nope..... this (mplayer -ni -vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts lowres=1:fast:skiploopfilter=all threads=2 wall-e-tlr3_h1080p.mkv ) is still choppy.... it must be a CPU issue.

But all-in-all for 2D desktops these drivers are good...... for compiz fusion your milage may vary....
Dark Defender
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys will have to wait until DRI2 to get the flickering videos/opengl apps in compiz solved. FYI
c0un7d0wn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an r500 you might wanna check out r500-support from mesa git. I have been runing it for a while on x1600 and it recently got compiz running and its extremely smooth.

edit: It also has non flickering videos (composited textured video). Opengl stuff needs dri2 but it can play openarena.
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0un7d0wn wrote:
If you have an r500 you might wanna check out r500-support from mesa git. I have been runing it for a while on x1600 and it recently got compiz running and its extremely smooth.

edit: It also has non flickering videos (composited textured video). Opengl stuff needs dri2 but it can play openarena.

Dang, beaten to the punch.

Hey, guys. airlied, agd5f, and I have been working on supporting R500 Radeon GPUs recently. If you're tired of fglrx and want to take a look, grab r500-support branch from Mesa git, as well as DRM and xf86-video-ati from git, and give it a whirl. Bug reports are extremely handy, as is testing of various things.

Our two biggest holes are in finishing FP support (ARB_fragment_program support) and in general testing and feedback. OpenArena, Q3, and Compiz are known to run, with a few caveats and glitches.

So, um, yeah.
charlie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed people keep posting about flashing video. So I am here to save the day. There is a patch for mplayer that allows compiz to use its video plugin. Once enabled there is no flashing video in compiz and some other cool things. However Xine still flashes with the latest Cataylst 8.5 driver albeit less than before. I forgot where I got the patch from. I can post the patch here if you guys can't find it.
mikkoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MostAwesomeDude wrote:

Hey, guys. airlied, agd5f, and I have been working on supporting R500 Radeon GPUs recently. If you're tired of fglrx and want to take a look, grab r500-support branch from Mesa git, as well as DRM and xf86-video-ati from git, and give it a whirl. Bug reports are extremely handy, as is testing of various things.

Can anyone provide a modified ebuild to fetch the r500-support branch?
Or tell me how to modify the one in the X11 overlay?
Is the libdrm-9999 in the x11 overlay OK to use?
Thanks
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikkoc wrote:

Can anyone provide a modified ebuild to fetch the r500-support branch?
Or tell me how to modify the one in the X11 overlay?
Is the libdrm-9999 in the x11 overlay OK to use?
Thanks

zen-overlay supposedly has a working r500-support mesa-9999.ebuild.

The DRM in the X11 overlay should be fine, as long as it also builds new kernel modules (I don't use it, so I don't know.)

If you're using xorg-server-1.3, you'll have to update your xserver to 1.4 or newer, I think, for the new DRM.

And finally, you need to be running a git ebuild of xf86-video-ati, in X11 or zen-overlay overlays.
mikkoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, I'm not sure I got this right.
I installed the mesa-9999-r500 from zen-overlay, which pulled in:
x11-libs/libdrm-9999
x11-proto/dri2proto-9999
both from the x11 overlay.

The kernel module was not built.

I installed x11-base/x11-drm-99999999 from the x11 overlay and the module seems to be installed correctly:
Code:
$ lsmod | grep radeon
radeon                144608  1
drm                   171936  2 radeon

But:
Code:
$ glxinfo | grep dir
direct rendering: No

and:
Code:
$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(EE)"
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/r300_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/r300_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

I have no "/usr/lib64/dri" directory... What should i do?
thanks
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikkoc wrote:
Uhm, I'm not sure I got this right.
I installed the mesa-9999-r500 from zen-overlay, which pulled in:
x11-libs/libdrm-9999
x11-proto/dri2proto-9999
both from the x11 overlay.

The kernel module was not built.

I installed x11-base/x11-drm-99999999 from the x11 overlay and the module seems to be installed correctly:
Code:
$ lsmod | grep radeon
radeon                144608  1
drm                   171936  2 radeon

But:
Code:
$ glxinfo | grep dir
direct rendering: No

and:
Code:
$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(EE)"
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/r300_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/r300_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

I have no "/usr/lib64/dri" directory... What should i do?
thanks

I don't know where the mesa ebuild stores the DRI, but it's probably /usr/lib/dri. You'll have to copy it back out to /usr/lib64/dri. (Make sure it's 64-bit!)
c0un7d0wn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember i had to edit the ebuilds to set --with-dri-driver-path=/usr/$(get_libdir)/dri --with-dri-driverdir=/usr/$(get_libdir)/dri for xserver and mesa.
Evincar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well...

2D performance with kcomposite is definitely improved, but it still chokes like a chump when switching workspace, so not much use. On a side note, I just tried the very same kcomposite in an Nvidia 7600GT desktop and I can not believe how fast and smooth is!!

Compiz is more or less usable, usually with around 60~70 FPS in my Mobility Radeon X1400 but still chokes on some effects...At least suspend to RAM is not broken. Otherwise, no problems with the drivers, but in standard (no composite, no compiz) mode, the speed still blows :(
<@Chin^> there is no justice in the world...
Wojtek_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Phoronix, opensource ati driver just got 3D support and can run compiz successfully. Once we get that version into portage, I'm definitely moving away from fglrx.
Wojtek
2x120GB HDD
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wojtek_ wrote:
According to Phoronix, opensource ati driver just got 3D support and can run compiz successfully. Once we get that version into portage, I'm definitely moving away from fglrx.
Wojtek

xf86-video-radeon git + Mesa git => R500 3D support. We're getting ready to merge it into main Mesa, and after that happens, it can be retrieved from the X11 overlay.
Wojtek_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MostAwesomeDude wrote:
Wojtek_ wrote:
Wojtek

xf86-video-radeon git + Mesa git => R500 3D support. We're getting ready to merge it into main Mesa, and after that happens, it can be retrieved from the X11 overlay.

I'll probably wait until it reaches the stable tree (I know that it'll take time) as I had some bad experience with unstable X, xorg-server etc. on my laptop. By the way - could someone tell me whether I should go for RadeonHD or xorg-ati driver? I am really confused which one is better as both seem to support R500 series at the moment.
Thanks,
Wojtek
2x120GB HDD
Evincar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take back everything I said about compiz: Yesterday I installed it in my desktop (NVidia GT 7600 AGP), and I can not believe how fast and smooth is!!! I mean, sure the 7600 is faster than a Mobile X1400 but not by an order of magnitude, which is more or less the difference I am seeing.

Wojtek, it is too early to say which one will work best for you. RadeonHD guys seem to use more the registries around, while the Ati drivers relies on ATOMBIOS. That usually means that they have more time to focus on acceleration and such. I guess you should try both and see what your mileage is. Last time I checked, they were roughly equal, the only difference being that ati supported EXA, but that was dead slow.
<@Chin^> there is no justice in the world...
gsra99
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Radeon Mobility X700 Reply with quote

I have a X700 in my laptop, and when I upgraded to the new drivers, it caused mplayer and vkc to crash when I tried to play videos. Has anyone else had this problem?
Lori
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just like all other Catalyst drivers since 7.11, exiting X causes a black screen, and no way to switch to the console. The only key combination that works is Ctrl+Alt+Del, so at least I can get a clean restart. This happens if I have atieventsd started. If I don't this doesn't happen, but even a fresh system start I get a <defunct> zombie X process along the good one.
Registered Linux User #176911
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: