View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scap1784
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: math program???? Reply with quote

My evil math professor decided to give us a problem that comes down to solveing a system of equations in which the system is 5 equations for 5 variables. I know how to do this on my claculator however my calculator is 35 min in to the problem and I am tired of looking at the little "busy" in the coner. Anyways I know linux is good for doing math computations and i was wondering if anyone knows of a program to get the answer to my problem. I have tired working it by hand and even my prof said good luck so i am just waiting now i guess.
Skip.za
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest using Octave. It's a Matlab compatible language and will have all matrix operations needed to solve linear equations.
odegard
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far are you in math? 5 equations with 5 variables are childplay. 10 equations with 10 variables too. Do you know how to use a matrix? I don't remember exactly how atm but I could dig it up for you. Do it by hand, it will be faster.

Odegard

EDIT: Oh yeah, it has something to do with reducing the matrix. Hm...there was a method for this...arg, I don't remember the name, but it's simple!
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odegard wrote:
Oh yeah, it has something to do with reducing the matrix. Hm...there was a method for this...arg, I don't remember the name, but it's simple!

row reduced echelon form?
SIR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odegard wrote:
How far are you in math? 5 equations with 5 variables are childplay. 10 equations with 10 variables too. Do you know how to use a matrix? I don't remember exactly how atm but I could dig it up for you. Do it by hand, it will be faster.

Indeed, use a matrix. I'd use my HP instead of by hand, tho!
odegard
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManuChao wrote:
odegard wrote:
Oh yeah, it has something to do with reducing the matrix. Hm...there was a method for this...arg, I don't remember the name, but it's simple!

row reduced echelon form?

No, actually I was thinking of the Gauss-Jordan method. Maybe you'll *end up with* what is called a row reduced echelon form, but I don't remember and names aren't important. Check this url for an introduction.
http://home.xnet.com/~fidler/triton/math/review/mat124/sys/gj/gj1.htm

google is your friend ;)

Odegard
daen1543
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think his calculator would take this long for a system of linear equations. Now, if those are 5 nonlinear equations, then yes, the system's a bitch to solve, unless you see a very clever solution.
Xargon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these algebraic or differential equations?
Qubax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partial differntial equations in 5 varialbes would be more interesting
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odegard wrote:
No, actually I was thinking of the Gauss-Jordan method. Maybe you'll *end up with* what is called a row reduced echelon form, but I don't remember and names aren't important.

Yeah, Gaussian elimination results in row reduced echelon form...I think...it's been awhile.
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are assuming that the system is a linear system. Maybe that's not the case. If it isn't a linear system, then your techniques will not work.

However, if it is a linear system, an easier way is to plug the matrix of coefficients into your calculator and take the inverse of the matrix. For example, with a 2-variable system:
Code:
|a b| |x| = |m|
|c d| |y| = |n|

|x| = |a b|-1 |m|
|y| = |c d|   |n|
ruronikenshin83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, if it's linear, definitely plug it into a matrix and do Gauss-Jordan, but do it by hand... it's the only way to learn. ^_^

I agree though, if it were five partial differential equations, it would be a lot more interesting. Although, you can still solve PDE's (as well as ODE's -- ordinary differential equations) using a matrix and doing Gauss-Jordan. Once again, assuming that the equations are linear.
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like MuPAD and used it during my Analysis classes. If you register you can get a free lisence for personal use. The program is like Maple or Mathematica.
dvink
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solutions to a set of linear equations Ax=y is very simple. First check whether the map x->Ax is "bijective", that is, "one-to-one and onto" , if so, then you can use elimination techniques to find the inverse A^-1. Do not use Cramers rule since it is highly inefficient!
spectatorion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: I Second GNU Octave Reply with quote

GNU Octave is exactly what you're looking for (for Free). It issomething like a 90% clone of matlab, and it definitely has the capability for matrix computations, solving linear equations, and other linear algebra stuff.

references:
http://www.octave.org/doc/octave_2.html#SEC8 for entering a matrix (A is a 5x5 matrix, b is a 5x1 matrix)
http://www.octave.org/doc/octave_2.html#SEC10 for solving the system.

once you have the data entered, it should take less than a second to compute the result.
nngs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: This link is good Reply with quote

http://sal.kachinatech.com/sal1.shtml
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just do it by hand, even if it takes a long time. I don't like to use calculators, unless they're not electronic, like abacuses and slide rules :D . There's also the satisfaction of knowing that you actually did something.

I have a thing against electronic calculators, so I try not to use them, unless it's for the nice little graphics on my big fat graphing calculator my dad bought me about a year ago...
odegard
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing against using my calculator which I bought for my own hard-earned cash through blood and tears.

It's a TI89 which I bought 6 years ago I think. Great!
scap1784
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all these aren't simple linear eq. They are all partial derivatives of V=BWH+y(BW+BH+WH-750)+u(B+W+H-50) I am trying to solve for the maxes and mins to find the maximum and minimum volume with the given constraints. Can that Octave prog do this??
shimage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scap1784 wrote:
First of all these aren't simple linear eq. They are all partial derivatives of V=BWH+y(BW+BH+WH-750)+u(B+W+H-50) I am trying to solve for the maxes and mins to find the maximum and minimum volume with the given constraints. Can that Octave prog do this??

Your notation has me thoroughly confused, but keep in mind that octave is good for 1) things that need matrices (i.e. anything linear), and 2) numerical methods. I take it you've never used Matlab before? Octave is basically the same thing, except graphing is a bit more confusing (since to do anything useful, you really should know how to use gnuplot...).

If you need a CAS (Computer Algebra System), try Maxima or MuPAD.
scap1784
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V is a function for volume. There are two constraints on the volume so by useing Lagrange multipliers i came up with the above equation which my prof has said was right. The i come up with five equations by taking the partial derivitive of each of the variables. Then i set each of the equations equal to zero and try to solve for the variables to find the critical values.
Duck-Billed Platypus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'm sure that there is a way to do this by hand. I'd prefer doing it by hand, unless humungous calculations are involved, and then I'd use a calculator for that...
odegard
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the constraints? Too me it lookes like V=volum, B=breadth, H=height and L=length.
scap1784
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea there is a way to do this by hand just bust out a multivarible calculus book and check out Lagrange multipliers and it will tell you how. I have tried it by hand but when it comes to trying to solve the system of equations i just can't do it. Now the constraints are that the rectangluar box has a surface area that is 1500 cm^2 and total edge length is 200 cm.
Qubax
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post the indication of the problem?
i still don't understand the given problem really. maybe with some background ...
cause there is always more than one way to calculate something, maybe we can find a easier solution
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: