View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gohmdoree
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Seeking explanation for "freeze" Reply with quote

I am using a Core 2 Duo Mobile cpu. The mobo is an abit il90v, which is a media mobo.

I haven't flashed the bios yet, but was curious with this behavior that freezes up my machine.

I experience a freeze sometimes when I am doing "too much" while in xorg. ie. firefox is loading a bunch of pages, with flash, etc.

An alternative situation, I will try and update and everything seems to go fine for a while. Then, it'll stop. I do see the blinking cursor at the bottom, but its just stuck like that. Hitting any of my keys doesn't do much.

I'm sure there is a lot more necessary information, but wanted to try and get some feedback to explain what might be happening. I don't have any heat sensors for the cpu, so that might be one guess. When I was using a Core Duo, I never had such an issue. So, maybe I need to update the microcode for the cpu?

Could it be a heat issue? i purchased some new heatsink fans that I will be trying to swap soon.

Thanks in advance.
Ryhajlo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like heat could very well be the issue, especially with laptops. By flash the bios do you mean update it? Because those updates are usually released for a reason :lol:
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the last time you blasted the heat sink with canned "air"? That's important, especially if you have smokers in the house. A dirty heat sink is a bad thing, and can destroy chips, especially AMD chips.

Blessed be!
Pappy
gohmdoree
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think it might have been the heat. I am using the stock heatsick fan that came with it. I do have something more robust that I haven't swapped out yet. I will blast it with some compressed air.

By the way, it is a desktop setup, and not a laptop. Just using laptop components. Basically, put together some extra parts to replace a laptop I was using. I think down the road, going to have to build another machine.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a Frankenstein machine! I like those. I knew someone who had a machine that had all of its parts screwed into a piece of particle board. Cool!

If you have anything that will do a better job of cooling than what you have, now would be the time to do that update. Burned out chips aren't pretty.

Blessed be!
Pappy
x22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking explanation for "freeze" Reply with quote

gohmdoree wrote:
I don't have any heat sensors for the cpu,

If it is Core 2 Duo, it should have an integrated temperature sensor (one for each core).
gohmdoree
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll look into that temperature thing.

lol at your comment pappy_mcfae. pretty is something like that. haha. hopefully i can get it solid.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! You're my kind of geek!

Blessed be!
Pappy
gohmdoree
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted to give an update on this machine. it sat off for the longest time.

as per the temperature advice, i ordered a new heatsink and fan from zalman, got a northbridge fan and replaced all of my case fans.

i rebuilt the machine just for the sake of and it kept on freezing.

instead of using the onboard video, i bought a pci-e 1x his radeon. after a lot of back and forth, it turns out that when this card is in/being used, the machine almost definitely freezes. i did change the pci-e transport from 4096 to 512 and that seemed to be okay for a bit then had the same problem, just a lot slower. i was thinking of trying to reduce it some more, but just expecting it to freeze up.

anyways, any idea on why this would be?
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume your ram is running out and then it needs to load some stuff to the harddisk... and that is verrry slow stuff.
try echo 70 > /proc/sys/vm/swapiness (will flush somewhat more often apps and might eliminate the problem you expirience)
If it does so, than add in /etc/sysctl.conf vm.swappiness = 70

That was a wild guess. Indeed more info is needed. Next time start htop or top and look what happens during the freeze.
gohmdoree
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have about 2gb of ram on the machine. i'll be sure to try that out when i can get around to it, and post it up on here.

otherwise, with the onboard intel video, it never happens.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from what I've seen in the forums, you're better off with the intel chip. The xf86-video-intel drivers are a lot more stable and forgiving than the ATI or the nvidia stuff.

Blessed be!
Pappy
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ati for linux is like nvidia for windows... I am a fan of AMD, yet I am a bigger fan of the hate club of ATI linux developers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: