View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Recruit0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: customizing desktop icons and behavior Reply with quote

I'm using XFCE with a Mac looking theme. I tried out multiple Mac-clone dock bars and haven't found any that I liked, so nvm.

1 ) I'm looking for a way to customize my desktop icons more. I want to remove the little text labels under the icons and use the pop-up text for labels rather than it saying "Type, Modified, Size." With the text labels not showing under the icons anymore, the icons should be closer together. I just want a bunch of icons on the desktop.

2 ) I'm also interested in special effects when the mouse is hovering over an icon, although the icon just becoming brighter is fine [I'd prefer something more "noticeable"] Specifically, I want to see the icon get bigger when the mouse is hovering over it.

3 ) Also, each desktop (workspace) should be able to have it's own icons; rather than the same icons showing up on the desktop whenever I switch desktops (workspaces). Also would be cool to see the icons scroll by as I switch desktops (workspaces).

If you haven't guessed it, I'm trying to "copy" how an itouch / iphone looks (when it's jailbroken that is, I've jailbroken one before and like the way it works) Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, especially part 1 and part 3.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are going to have to use something other than xfce to get the behavior you want. Or, perhaps, a combination of different programs, some of which handle drawing the desktop icons, while disabling xfce's handling of the desktop. Not sure what would do that for you though. You might try searching for "desklets" or "screenlets" or such.
Recruit0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some of it working. The closest I got so far is idesk with my .ideskrc as:

Quote:
table Config
FontName: monospace
FontSize: 10
FontColor: #ffffff
Locked: false
Transparency: 128
Shadow: false
ShadowColor: #000000
ShadowX: 1
ShadowY: 1
Bold: false
ClickDelay: 250
IconSnap: true
SnapWidth: 72
SnapHeight: 72
SnapOrigin: BottomLeft
SnapShadow: true
SnapShadowTrans: 0
CaptionPlacement: Bottom
CaptionOnHover: true
Background.Mode: Center
Background.File: ~/macosx-gentoo-1280x800.jpg
CursorOver: hand2
end

table Actions
Lock: control right doubleClk
Reload: middle doubleClk
Drag: right hold
EndDrag: right singleClk
Execute[0]: left singleClk
Execute[1]: right doubleClk
end

Allowed dragging with right mouse button since single clicking is enabled. Edited original macosx-gnetoo-1024x768.jpg to correct size by c/p filling in the sides. I think idesk is using fake transparency because I have compositing disabled in XFCE and there's an error from libGL about the 3D driver not supporting visual 0x63. Don't plan on using compositing since it slows things down. I am a little worried about idesk because after I launch/click an icon it comes up but the cursor stays stuck like it's loading something for a while. All I rly need next is different icons on each desktop, which doesn't seem possible atm from what I've googled.

Screenshot
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: