View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: opera 9.5 bugs Reply with quote

Hi,

I had witnessed problems with email during 9.5-betas so I waited for the 9.5 release before updating. (Note I avoid the term upgrading).

The email DB issues seem to be fixed so it is usable but there are a number of issues that are bugs/regressions in relation to 9.27 . Some may be due to the ebuild that works around failure in the install script and says don't worry , it's safe to continue.

In view of the fact the install script never completes some of this may be due to the ebuild ignoring errors.

Does anyone else get these problems?

1/ with "close buttons in each tab" disables the common min/max/close buttons do not work, they are present but do nothing. Disactivating and reactivating this options wins you two sets of buttons. The second ones work , but next time you start opera you're back to square one.

2/ email check button is stuck with "Stop" caption, like it's getting mail , but it isn't. The menu method works but is a drag. Messy breakage. Hard to see how this got missed in testing , I saw this happing since alpha.

3/ it is no longer possible to save / open an image included in an email. This is a cripple feature. Dumb regression.

Anyone got any ideas on these issues?

TIA, Gentree. 8)
bpaddock
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started Opera 9.50 twice now. Both times it has asked me if I want to update to new email format.
When I hit 'Yes'. Opera locks up. Left it go for hours and it never recovered. There is almost no email,
but there are a lot of RSS feeds.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that sort of thing with alpha. At least on my email this is fixed so maybe it is related to the rss feeds. I'm surprised (and disappointed) that they did not resolve this sort of thing during the lengthy beta period.

Another feature regression I just noticed is clicking on a tab used to toggle it to and from being in front , this was very useful for comparing two pages without moving the mouse. It is now necessary to move the mouse from one tab to the other.

Another nice Opera feature goes out of the window.

I really wonder if they are not blindly trying to emulate "other" browsers now even to the point of regressing good opera features.

:?
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the "Show close button on each tab" disabled, and the minimize, maximze, and close buttons do not work at all.

How could they ever release this with such a huge bug?
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems too, that did never happened with later version of opera.
When I try to open some pages (like youtube.com), opera "crashes". It comes back after some minutes, with the following message in terminal:

Code:
opera: Plug-in 11095 is not responding. It will be closed.
opera: Define environment variable OPERA_KEEP_BLOCKED_PLUGIN to keep blocked plug-ins.

Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's Opera and flash trouble. Perfectly normal, most intellegent life forms suffer from that.

I once manage to get it working with help from opera tech.supp. but it broke again next time I looked at it. Now they no longer give support to thier long time customers who payed them a licence fee when they were getting off the ground, I have stopped wasting time doing incantations to get it to work.

Short answer: use firefox for youtube and flash in general.

I was a long time fan of Opera but I think they're loosing the plot.

The only thing that keeps me using Opera is I like having email client and browser in one. Since most of my emails have some link in them it's highly practical.

Last edited by Gentree on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, I would be glad if it just don't work, instead of crash XD
Before upgrading, it just didn't worked. The problem is that a lot of pages have flash, if it crashes in each one of those, we have a problem!!! XD
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys using 64bit systems? Just curious, because I'm not having any troubles with youtube in Opera 9.5 (or 9.27 for that matter).
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amd64 here, quad core.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrenSmith wrote:
Are you guys using 64bit systems? Just curious, because I'm not having any troubles with youtube in Opera 9.5 (or 9.27 for that matter).

No, ~x86. Youtube seems ok on 9.5

Are you saying you email check button is not stuck on "Stop" and you min/max/close buttons actually work on 9.5 ?!

The only prob I had with 9.27 was flaky flash.
8)
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is not only with youtube. For example, www.inbox.com does not open - not even the presentation page.
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:

Are you saying you email check button is not stuck on "Stop" and you min/max/close buttons actually work on 9.5 ?!

I don't use opera mail, but my min/max/close buttons work fine on the browser. Is that what's broken for you or is it the min/max/close buttons on the mail portion of Opera?
Nerevar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
My problem is not only with youtube. For example, www.inbox.com does not open - not even the presentation page.

That page looks like it's been optimized for a cell phone in opera. Poor website coding of the useragent identification string.

Goto about:config and search for useragent. Change it to 2 and www.inbox.com will work.
1 = Opera (default user agent string of Opera)
2 = Mozilla
3 = Internet Explorer
4 = Mozilla, Opera not mentioned
5 = Internet Explorer, Opera not mentioned
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrenSmith wrote:
Holysword wrote:

That page looks like it's been optimized for a cell phone in opera. Poor website coding of the useragent identification string.

Goto about:config and search for useragent. Change it to 2 and www.inbox.com will work.
2 = Mozilla
3 = Internet Explorer
You don't need to do that. I got two links at the bottom "mobile|computer". Clicked on "computer" and didn't have to change any user string for any future visits.

BTW, the above per-site setting can be set via (<Right-Click> or F12) -> Edit Site Preferences -> Network.

I don't use global min/max/close buttons. But I tried that on a fresh profile and it works fine.

Finally, I realized that the plugin detection system of opera is pretty strong in 9.50. It somehow searched and found all plugins in /opt/Adobe/*, ~/.opera/plugins (and also ~/.opera/plugins.bak which I had created just for backup), /opt/netscape/plugins, /usr/.../mozilla/plugins. It should be noted that I did not install opera through portage.
In my configuration, I added and enabled only /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins directory. That way, the same plugins are not located and stored twice and this prevents lots of lock-ups.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
Wasn' t Opera 9.5 supposed to work with Flash? I am on ~amd64 here and no site with netscape-flash-9.0.124.0 works. Does anyone actually have this work?
Also java seems not to work at all. When i select the path to the java plugin it says "java found" but when i close and reopen Opera java checkbox is disabled.
The crazy thing is, Flash works in konqueror. There are so many threads and different solutions here about flash and opera, i am seriously confused.

EDIT: after further fiddling still no solution for this...
Could anyone who has this working on amd64 tell me how? Which paths are searched, with or without nspluginwrapper etc.?
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
DarrenSmith wrote:
Holysword wrote:

2 = Mozilla
3 = Internet Explorer
You don't need to do that. I got two links at the bottom "mobile|computer". Clicked on "computer" and didn't have to change any user string for any future visits.

BTW, the above per-site setting can be set via (<Right-Click> or F12) -> Edit Site Preferences -> Network.

Thx for your reply. Yeah, this is an old issue of inbox.com, it starts for mobile whe you use opera. But I got it fixed some time ago =P
When you go to the full page (not mobile version) it crashes exactly as it crashes in youtube. I never got youtube working with opera, but there is a big difference between "not working" and "crashing"... and the second one is much more annoying.

You said about plugins path... there is any chance of this "crash" is related to duplicated paths??

EDIT: Just one more example: babelfish.altavista.com
Opera-9.5 crashes here too, and comes back after some time.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:

I was a long time fan of Opera but I think they're loosing the plot.

I agree 100%. I paid for opera early on, and it definitely had it's place...a good browser that acted basically the same on Windows and Linux systems.

It just seemed to me to get buggier over time and I was fed up with the mplayerplugin/flash battle. I switched to Firefox entirely about a year ago and never looked back.

Tom
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely strange. I just started opera with a new profile and saw the exact same behaviour even when there were no duplicate plugins. I kept on reducing the number of active plugins by checking off paths one by one and finally got it down to one directory /opt/netscape/plugins. Still opera would lock-up for sometime on visiting youtube. Finally, I checked off all the existing plugin paths and added only /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins. Now, opera is fine and doesn't lock-up anymore :roll:

FYI, the plugins I had in /opt/netscape/plugins were: flash-10beta and realplayer
the plugins I have in /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins are: flash, realplayer (symlinked to /opt..), mplayerplug-in.

I had always assumed that duplicate plugin paths were causing the lockups. But I have to recant that statement. Somehow my configuration of having only /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins seems to work. I made some more 'experiments':
1. the only problem comes from flash
2. If the path of flash is not in /opt but somewhere else in /usr then opera does not lock up
3. for other plugins it does not matter where they are kept.
4. duplication of plugins does not matter (as long as they are the same version)

Hope the above information helps you guys troubleshoot further. Based on the above behaviour, I would say that flash is to be blamed here and not opera. All the rest of the plugins work fine.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ppurka:
Wow, thank you man!!! On my ~amd64 box with nspluginwrapper installed youtube now works with only /usr/lib32/nsbrowser/plugins/ path checked.
Works like a charm and also this annoying hang up dissappeared ;)
Now only java needs to work correct, setting the path to /opt/emul-linux-x86-java-1.6.0.06/lib/i386 doesnt' t seems to do the trick.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrenSmith wrote:
Gentree wrote:

I don't use opera mail, but my min/max/close buttons work fine on the browser. Is that what's broken for you or is it the min/max/close buttons on the mail portion of Opera?

Thanks for the info. I was indeed refering to the browser. Specifically with "enable close buttons in tabs" disactivated there is a second set of min/max/close under the opera main window buttons in the title bar.

It is this second set of buttons , which control resizing/closing tabs, that are disfunctional. All they do is the click depression of the glyph. There is no functionality that follows.

There were a couple of warnings during the ebuild , I'm wondering whether this is a result of the ebuild. Maybe I should try a manual installation.

:?
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced the min/max/close button failures also right after I installed 9.50. I started experimenting with it to see if I could duplicate the behaviour in order to submit a bug report, but now they work again!

As for the 'clicking on tabs to cycle back and forth between two pages' thing, check that your settings for tab behaviour are setup to do this.

This is annoyingly typical behavior for Opera during upgrades due to underlying changes in default settings and such (It also buggered up my skin. I'm gonna have to re-make it due to some underlying elements changing in the default skin).

Every non-minor upgrade usually has me checking all my settings in order to reest behaviour and this has been no exception!

It is back to normal now 'tho, and the memory use is HALVED (!!) compared to 9.50beta2!!!
I had to kludge Flash 10 to get it to work again (I'm just not going to bother using portage's anymore...), but everything's just dandy now :) (Well, apart from the mankified skin :()
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was "click tab to minimise" that I had missing. That's one less annoyance since it is very practical.

Any idea what kind of "experimenting" is needed to get the close button to work? Since not everyone is hit by this is good in one respect but makes it harder to track down.

Sounds like your's just fixed itself at some stage and you're not quite sure what triggered it.

One thing is sure, the email client is a lot more responcive and faster now. Big improvements there.

8)
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish I could tell you!!

Two things that might have had an effect:

1) Prefs->Advanced->Browsing->[Show Window Menu] - Toggle, save, exit, try, repeat

2) With Show Window Menu enabled, click window menu (Icon left of File) and change the decorations.

Also, please file a bug report with Opera so they know we're not making it up!! :P
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks tried the window menu toggle , no change.

I really don't understand you 2) , I have nothing left of File (if you mean on the main menu). I see nowhere to change decorations.

Sure, I file bug reports on all this before posting here. Don't know if they'll follow it up. :?

Still, I suppose the improvements in the email client outweigh these small bugs.

thanks for your suggestions.
8)
danielcs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martux wrote:
Now only java needs to work correct, setting the path to /opt/emul-linux-x86-java-1.6.0.06/lib/i386 doesnt' t seems to do the trick.

amd64 here too, Flash and Video (quicktime etc via mplayerplugin) all work fine and I don't even have nspluginwrapper installed.
The only problem left for me is Java too, it was working fine in 9.27 and 9.5 beta but now it's broken. I have already tried with sun-jdk-1.5, sun-jdk-1.6 and also emul-linux-x86-java-1.6, none of them work. :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: