View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
namaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: gnome or compiz major problem Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well it all started yesterday as I was installing gentoo on a new laptop. I have a lan and I remoted into my server so that I could compare files, etc needed for a new install. I decided to "hit two birds with one stone" and I was updating xorg-server while installing gentoo on my new lap. Then for some reason during the update of xorg-server on the server side, my server froze solid. No ssh connection, and (because its just across the room) on the desktop, mouse, gauges, etc. all frozen. Not being able to do anything I did a hard boot. After rebooting, I return to my desktop to find some very strange stuff... the top desktop icons are now half above the visible screen. My gdesklets have all moved up so now they are also (like the other desktop icons, half on the screen, half off! My workspace switcher has gone from 4 desktops to only 1! ... and the window borders (metacity i think) have all disappeared completely, so I cant kill, max/min windows. Also I cannot type in terminals/geditor, but I can copy and paste!? Weird...

SO, I of course reemerged xorg-server - no change. I stopped restarted dbus/hal - no change. I tried the compiz manager settings - no change. Becoming more desperate not being able to use my desktop I have reemerged SEVERAL gnome packages & apps (nautilus, gnome-session, gnome-panel, gnome-applets, all of compiz-fusion) - no change.

As for errors, xsession reports

/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
SESSION_MANAGER=local/localhost:/tmp/.ICE-unix/22953
Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Industrial": Failed to find a valid file for theme Industrial

compiz (core) - Fatal: No GLXFBConfig for default depth, this isn't going to work.
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
Initializing gnome-mount extension

** (nautilus:23002): WARNING **: Can not calculate _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS

** (nautilus:23002): WARNING **: Can not calculate _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS

** (nautilus:23002): WARNING **: Can not get _NET_WORKAREA

** (nautilus:23002): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout

(These last two lines repeated forever)

I believe its probably just one reemerge of some package that I need, but I have no idea as to which one as I already reemerged nautilus. Something to do with gl ?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.
namaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey again,

I just got home and I did some more checking in these forums and found a new overlay called desktop-effects. SOoo, I changed my overlay and reemerged all of compiz-fusion. WORKING AGAIN :D

For some reason tho, my gdesklets now come up with a horrible border around each one... I tried adding the --translucent option to gdesklets but it just changed the panel from transparent to non-transparent (dont ask me why!) and did nothing at all to the window borders. Its probably because I am now using an unstable version of compiz-fusion? I dunno... but my head hurts so Im going to sleep on it for awhile, at least I can use my desktop again :lol:

Please feel free to comment if you have any input, thanks again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: