"Something else is missing": can't boot gentoo of CD/USB
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FuriousGeorge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: "Something else is missing": can't boot gentoo of Reply with quote

I just got a new supermicro MB, and I wish to use it with gentoo. Its model number is MBD-C2SBX and it features an X38 north-bridge and TE8213F (!?!) ide chipset.

Booting off the minimal gentoo cd fails after scanning for modules, when it tries to mount from the installation media (I get the "something else is missing" error). I've tried a gentoo 2007, 2008 beta, and kubuntu cd, but the kubuntu cd doesnt even get passed the "decompressing kernel" phase.

Thinking the problem related to PATA support, I then tried to make a gentoo LiveUSB Key, but experienced the same problem when trying to boot... If i type 'shell', i can see my pen drive or cd drive in /dev/ but i get an "invalid argument" when i try to mount it on /newroot/...

I've had a similar issue with other c2q-supporting mbs, but in other cases was able to switch the PATA controller to "native mode" in the BIOS and resolve the issue. No such option exists with this board.

This has never happened to me before, and I'm not quite sure what to do. My instinct tells me to stick the drive in another computer and install gentoo from there, but i know there must be a better way, right? if it were just a matter of pata support the usb-key probably would have worked. perhaps there is a simple solution, anyway...

does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuriousGeorge,

Try a very bare boot with the Gentoo CD. Use the nodetect kernel option.
It sounds like the kernel is failing to communicate with with the chipset controlling the CDROM, so cannot find the squashfs file it wants to use as root.

I really need to see lspci but you can't show me that until it boots linux somehow

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
FuriousGeorge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: no luck with nodetect Reply with quote

Neddy,

Thanks for the reply. The nodetect option immediately advises me it can't find any bootable medium, without loading modules...

I do notice that when I boot off the pen drive, it at least sees the partition. I have /dev/sdc1. When I boot off the CD I have no /dev/hd*...

Code:

>>Makeing tmpfs on newroot...
>>Attempting to mount media:--   /dev/sdc
>>Attempting to mount media:--   /dev/sdc1  *(usb im trying to booting off of)
>>No Bootable Medium Found.  Waiting for new devices...

(Then it repeats before saying:)

!! Could not find CD to boot.  Something else is missing.

I can then try to manually specify the mount partition as /dev/sdc1, but I'm told something like

!! Failed to mount specified ROOT, try again...
!! The root block device was unspecified or not detected
mount: Failed to mount /dev/sdc1 on /newroot failed: Invalid Argument

If i enter the shell, I can mount /dev/sdc1 if i use the '-t tmpfs' option, but the partition appears empty. If I put the pen drive in an other computer, I see the files there.

Is it time to stick the hard drives drive in another computer, or is it better to try another distro JUST to install gentoo :)

I have only a few cd-Rs in the building, and I don't want to just start wasting them on blind faith, but maybe there is a distro that supports my hardware better...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuriousGeorge,

I suspect you need a newer kernel. Try the System Rescue CD, which I believe has 2.6.25

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
FuriousGeorge
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks neddy. That worked out
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: