gcc downgrade: ld: GLIBCXX_3.4.9 problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: gcc downgrade: ld: GLIBCXX_3.4.9 problem Reply with quote

Hi,
I had gcc-4.2.3 installed for icedtea. But now, as icedtea does not need it anymore, I did a downgrade to stable (4.1.2). I rebuilt the toolchain and I also had to rebuild several other programs that didn't work anymore (paludis (using portage), openoffice, vlc). reconcilio and revdep-rebuild didn't discover the breakage. But now I'm facing the problem that I don't know what to recompile. Compiling gnome-system-monitor (which doesn't work either) stops with an ld warning:
Code:
/usr/lib64/libcairomm-1.0.so: undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::__ostream_insert<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*, long)@GLIBCXX_3.4.9'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

ld /usr/lib64/libcairomm-1.0.so prints a very similar warning:
Code:
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address
/usr/lib64/libcairomm-1.0.so: undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::__ostream_insert<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*, long)@GLIBCXX_3.4.9'

so it doesn't have anything to do with the gnome-system-monitor package, recompiling cairo doesn't help. /usr/bin/ld and the file it points at (/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ld) seem to be orphaned as they don't belong to any package installed.
So which package do I have to recompile to solve that problem?

edit: i found out, that /usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ld is a link, pointing to a file in the gcc directory being a link, pointing to another file in that directory, being another link pointing to a file in the binutils directory so I recompiled binutils - without any success. The file are probably not orphaned but created by gcc-config.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downgrading is not trivial. You need to rebuild all interdepending software linked against libstdc++ built with the newer compiler. And please: Read and learn about the toolchain you are using or stay with stable keyworded ebuilds. There's no point using the newer GCC when you don't know what you do.
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply,
Breakages are not too bad for me since I don't use my computer for productivity tasks but for playing around with the software. And when I need a working computer I can still use an other one. I had to use gcc-4.2 for icedtea so it wasn't just for fun.
I guess I will just rebuild any package compiled with 4.2, using a script to check out the environment.bz2 of my installed packages. That will most certainly fix all breakages.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: