Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Anyone interested in testing out a Gentoo-based LiveCD?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Anyone interested in testing out a Gentoo-based LiveCD? Reply with quote

For the last three months, I've been designing a LiveCD based on Gentoo for the online community. Mostly just as a project to get the community involved in something as a group.

Anyways, politics aside, the current state of the LiveCD - named FLY - is at a stage where it boots off several various hardware, as well as VMware, and (apparently) VirtualBox without framebuffer support. It has the latest stable x86 gentoo-sources (2.6.24-r8). Its also designed to auto-configure Xorg so that you can startx to Fluxbox, though thats a bit flaky.

Im wondering if anyone would be interesting in helping to test or even just check out the LiveCD.

Let me know,
Cheers,
ubersolid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll try it. just for the fun of it!
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly I was hoping for a wee bit more interest lol. Regardless, the download is available here: http://www.criticalsecurity.net/oldies/livecd/
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Unsupported Software.

I think it belongs here, and it will surely reach more public here than in the chat sub forum where it could be easily lost.
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in testing out a Gentoo-based LiveCD? Reply with quote

bob doe wrote:
Im wondering if anyone would be interesting in helping to test or even just check out the LiveCD.

I have downloaded the iso and I am going to burn the CD. I will post the results.

Cheers!

UPDATE: I am getting the following message: Loading stage2 Read error 0x01. I guess I have to burn the iso again.
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither I nor anyone else testing the LiveCD have encountered that error before.. A quick Google didnt turn up much. Least nothing recent. Any updates?
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a quick look in virtualbox - the default option with framebuffer works. its cool. unmounting devices during shutdown may be cleaned up a bit. configuring X worked rightaway. might also have a look at the way sabayon does it - perhaps a little more sophisticated. adding a net.eth0 link to net.lo would have been helpful. also useful might have been a browser (elinks may be, perhaps was already there) - guess i am asking for too much :p. over all, very clean, simple, minimal and stable :).
muhsinzubeir
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...do u have gparted on ur livecd ?:D

P:S
Ill check it out when i get some free time...good work mate
Nvidia GT200
http://www.zanbytes.com
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will check it out tonight as soon as I get home. Sounds fun!
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interests guys!

Keep in mind that FLY (the LiveCD) is still far from complete. Version 0.4 introduced Xorg and Fluxbox, I hadnt added any GUI apps yet. Once the 2008.0 profile of Gentoo is released, I'll release version 0.5 of FLY with Firefox, Abiword, xChat, Pidgin, and several other apps.

Im glad to know about the test on VirtualBox, one person who had tried it couldnt get it working. Thanks hirakendu :)

gparted isnt in FLY yet, and to be honest, I hadnt considered it, but again, it is fairly essential. And I much prefer it to qtparted. Im trying to stay away from QT apps anyways.

I removed the symlink to net.eth0 simply because I dont wish to have DHCP start at the beginning, for a few reasons:
1) perhaps eth0 wont be the interface in use
2) perhaps the network doesnt use DHCP
3) perhaps the system boots unplugged from a network

The unmounting at the shutdown process is something on the backburner, since to boot Im using an initramfs and a mount --move so Im not entirely sure yet how to tackle this.
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - to anyone interested!

http://www.criticalsecurity.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=29757&view=findpost&p=201087
Quote:
FLY-0.5 is available now. [url="http://www.criticalsecurity.net/oldies/livecd"]Do I really need to tell you where to get it?[/url]

Lots of new things in this release. For starters, FLY now has some (most?) of its final functionality! It has a GUI, GUI applications, and even a very beta (read: non-functional) installation script (ONLY FOR TESTING AT THIS POINT!) [and currently it doesnt work anyways!]

0.5 also takes advantage of the Gentoo 2008.0_beta2 profile which significantly simplifies the build process of the LiveCD. Despite this profile being a beta, it seems to be fully stable. The full release of the profile is due in a week or two (the original release date was May 19th as I understand it and the current release date is sometime first week of July)

The main fixes in 0.5 mostly revolve around the boot process. For anyone who's been paying attention to the boot process in earlier versions you'll surely have noticed a few things that were off. They've been fixed. The issues about shutdown/reboot have yet to be addressed, those are a little harder and less of a priority.

Now onto the applications. Firefox doesnt have any theme or addons yet. I've not quite figured out how to apply addons to the LiveCD, likely I'd have to compile FLY without Xorg running, but Im not sure. Theme creation is up for grabs, so long as it matches the current background artwork. The aircrack-ng suite is included and even in the menu. The menu items dont work quite as they should, without sudo I havent figured out how. But just open a terminal window and away you go. Kismet will run, but you need to modify /etc/kismet.conf first and add in the specifics for your wireless card. (Eventually, we'll need to script this!) I cant quite think of anything else for now..

I'll let the dev log do the rest of the talking, and remember, file any bugs, and be active in the FLY sub-forums!
Code:
0.5 (released June 29th 2008)
ISO size: 236mb
Total packages: 365
Total build time: 848minutes (14.1 hours)
Upgraded from Gentoo 2007.0 profile to Gentoo 2008.0_beta2 profile
Significant revision to install scripts
Removed the following from /etc/portage/package.keywords
      =net-fs/curlftpfs-0.9.1
      =net-wireless/madwifi-ng-0.9.4
      =net-wireless/madwifi-ng-tools-0.9.4
Added the following to /etc/portage/package.use
      app-admin/conky -audacious
      media-video/mplayer gtk cpudetection real mmxext
      net-analyzer/nmap gtk
      net-analyzer/wireshark gtk
      net-im/pidgin gtk
      net-misc/putty gtk
      net-misc/tightvnc server
      net-wireless/wpa_supplicant madwifi
      x11-libs/cairo svg
      x11-wm/fluxbox imlib truetype
Added jpeg and png global USE flags to /etc/make.conf
Added mozilla-firefox, abiword, xchat, pidgin, tightvnc, nmap, wireshark, xfe
Added aircrack-ng, feh, gparted
Removed vnstat iftop curlftpfs
Added FLY hard disk installation script version 0.1
Modified /sbin/rc
Modified /etc/init.d/alsasound
Modified /etc/init.d/localmount
Modified /etc/init.d/bootmisc
Modified /etc/init.d/netmount
Modified /etc/init.d/autoconfig
Modified /root/.irssi/config
Modified /root/.fluxbox/menu
Modified /root/.fluxbox/lastwallpaper
Modified /root/.fluxbox/init
Modified /root/.xchat2/servlist_.conf
Added /root/.fluxbox/backgrounds/FLY1024x768.jpg
Added /root/.xchat2/ and contents
Added /root/.FLYinstaller/ and contents
Updated the following ebuilds:
      sys-libs/timezone-data-2008c from 2008b
      net-analyser/tcpdump-3.9.8-r1 from 3.9.8
      sys-devel/autoconf-2.61-r2 from 2.61-r1
      net-misc/rsync-3.0.2 from 2.6.9-r6
      sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1 rebuild without -headers-only
      x11-misc/shared-mime-info-0.30 from 0.23
muhsinzubeir
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
/sbin/init:No such file or directory
47.350286 kernel panic-Not syncing:Attempting to kill init

Thats what i get when i try to boot it.... :P
But no worries i had to hunt down livecd when I was installing gentoo on this box, its asus p5k-se with ICH9 here is lspci of my mobo:
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 92)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801IB (ICH9) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801IB (ICH9) 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600 GT (rev a1)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)
03:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II Controller (rev b1)

P:S
The livecd works fine on VirtualBox though
Nvidia GT200
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im assuming you got Gentoo working fine on that hardware. I checked kernel settings and they appear to be fine... Could you tell me what you used?

My second guess would be the "init" in my initramfs is missing some block devices for the CD drive..
muhsinzubeir
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah i got gentoo running..the cdrom is connected on those ICH9 IDE controller (a little bit new chip)....i used this livecd to install here

N:B
But now also the latest rescuecd can boot my box, but 6 months back then it also didnt succeed.
Nvidia GT200
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of a panic today it seems that the above error is caused by a bad burn of the ISO onto the disk.

Perhaps try a new disk or a re-burn?

It solved the problem for me.
xerxesmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i miss the option to select the keymap
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into that :)
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd bump this back up. FLY is currently on version 0.5.2 using the stage3 2008.0 tarball. I've fixed up most of the shutdown/reboot process by eliminating the mounting sections of the process.

The project has also gotten it's own domain; http://www.linuxfly.net for anyone interested in checking it out. (Comments on the excellent webpage job are accepted, my knowledge of HTML is very limited and my focus is on the LiveCD rather than the webpage :) )
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob doe wrote:
(Comments on the excellent webpage job are accepted, my knowledge of HTML is very limited and my focus is on the LiveCD rather than the webpage :) )

If you want help with HTML/CSS, give me a shout!
ubersolid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you. Your livecd (FLY-0.5.2) boots up fine inside VMware, it did not connect to the internet however, bridged network setting in VMware. I'll try it on my laptop later, when I get my hands on a empty cd.
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt auto connect. Did you try running dhcpcd?

yngwin - I have someone working on something CSS (I think its what he said), but I'll keep your offer in mind
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd update you guys on the status of this project. FLY is now up to version 0.5.5

If anyone is interested in seeing the latest on the project, please check out http://www.linuxfly.net

Cheers, :)
seren
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello I love your live cd I would like to know if you can include system-config-lvm its a handy and easy gui for lvm/2 its masked in portage but i have used it for some time and is stable for me. This would also need the support for lvm and RAID in the kernel.

Thanks!
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply. I'll look into lvm. I do have dmraid though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: