Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
need help about ext3 partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
contigab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: need help about ext3 partition Reply with quote

Hi. I need help cos my gentoo installation doesn't recognize that my /dev/hda4 is actually an ext3 filesystem and it treats it like it is an ext2.
(i found out that when i had to hard reboot the machine)

I should see something like this during the startup:
kjournald starting blah blah ..
EXT3 blah blah ...
but I don't see anything like that at boot time...

My fstab is correct, I checked it.
I tried to modify some configuration files but without any result.
mount says that the filesystem is actually ext3 (i created it with the -j option) but fsck doesn't have the same opinion. Perhaps something is wrong with my kernel (i used the redhat patched kernel, that has it's own config files and should have ext3 enabled, since I have redhat 7.3 on another machine).
Actually I would like to install gentoo also on that other pc but first of all i wanna make this problem clear...
Now i am trying to recompile a new kernel with ext3 support built in inside (the first one has ext3 enabled as a module). Maybe this is the error, cos redhat uses initrd for loading modules at boot time, but maybe gentoo uses a different mechanism.

The thing that makes me worried is that i see at boot time something like
VFS: blah blah ... ext2 ...
but i don't know from where it comes out this message since the partition is ext3!!
Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

P.S.: Gentoo is GREAT!!!
:)
STiAT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahm, ext3 is often recognised as an ext2, because the only difference is the jornaled option.

may you recognised on install (if you got an EXT3 as a boot partition), that GRUB recognises it at EXT2 too.

I havn't had a look at my boot time, never have seen anything about ext2 or ext3 in the boot messages.

STi
littlekif
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm getting a similar problem. I used ext3, and whenever i boot using grub after i make a selection it just spits out 4 lines that look like the grub configuration file and then reboots. HELP! i don't know if it's related to ext3, the kernel, ....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most probably, you selected the wrong processor family in your kernel while doing make menuconfig. Check there.
littlekif
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help, guestsweetie! i'll have to see what i can do about it now. i have a k6-2 and i did the i586 stuff, is that correct? i was pretty sure, but hey, i'm an newbie so i have to do some moronic stuff to earn my wings.

Edited: typo

Last edited by littlekif on Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(that guest above was me)

What do you mean with "i586 stuff"? A K6-II is really a i586, but in the kernel you should select the "K6/K6-II/K6-III" option under "Processor type and features".
littlekif
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's official, i'm an idiot! i didn't even see that there were options in the processor group when you SCROLL! while my kernel recompiles, i think i'll roll on the floor laughing at myself.
andyg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: need help about ext3 partition Reply with quote

contigab wrote:
Hi. I need help cos my gentoo installation doesn't recognize that my /dev/hda4 is actually an ext3 filesystem and it treats it like it is an ext2.
(i found out that when i had to hard reboot the machine)

I should see something like this during the startup:
kjournald starting blah blah ..
EXT3 blah blah ...
but I don't see anything like that at boot time...

My fstab is correct, I checked it.
I tried to modify some configuration files but without any result.
mount says that the filesystem is actually ext3 (i created it with the -j option) but fsck doesn't have the same opinion. Perhaps something is wrong with my kernel (i used the redhat patched kernel, that has it's own config files and should have ext3 enabled, since I have redhat 7.3 on another machine).
Actually I would like to install gentoo also on that other pc but first of all i wanna make this problem clear...
Now i am trying to recompile a new kernel with ext3 support built in inside (the first one has ext3 enabled as a module). Maybe this is the error, cos redhat uses initrd for loading modules at boot time, but maybe gentoo uses a different mechanism.

... snip

If the ext3 support is compiled as a module, it won't recognise the root partition as ext3 on boot. I found this after having ext3 also compiled as a module, and it would mount other partitions correctly as ext3, but not root. Am recompiling the kernel now to fix it. (ext3 builtin)

I take it you fixed this as it was a while ago. Ta for the pointer to fixing mine!

Quote:

P.S.: Gentoo is GREAT!!!
:)

Hear Hear :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: