Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Need help with gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven_Stimpson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Need help with gentoo install Reply with quote

here is where it fails>>>

..starting rsync with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage...
rsync:getaddrinfo:rsync.gentoo.org 873 Tememporary failure in name resolution. rsync error: error in socket IO code (code 10) at clientserver.c (97)

ANy ideas?
Nebajoth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with gentoo install Reply with quote

Steven_Stimpson wrote:

..starting rsync with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage...
rsync:getaddrinfo:rsync.gentoo.org 873 Tememporary failure in name resolution. rsync error: error in socket IO code (code 10) at clientserver.c (97)

Have you added your DNS servers to /etc/resolv.conf? In order for portage to get to rsync.gentoo.org, it must be able to find it on the internet. This requires you to set up your networking manually during the first part of the installation. I am under the impression after reading the recent interview with Daniel Robbins that the next release of Gentoo will have a more friendly installer (Anaconda) that will automate part or all of this procedure. Until then, you must take the information provided by your ISP and fill in resolv.conf by hand. If you need to find out what your DNS servers are, either:
a) Call your ISP
b) Check your previous (?) Windows installation
c) Use dhcp (if your ISP supports it) to automatically get the information
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you are in a real hurry you can get very lazy and just edit your /etc/make.conf to point straight to the current (but could change at any moment) IP. So your line in the /etc/make.conf would be:

rsync://66.250.107.251/gentoo-portage

instead of the standard (and much much better)

rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage

But like I said in a hurry before you call your ISP etc etc etc this CAN work (doesn't mean it will). Another thing this will help you find is whether you are having a connectivity issue or whether it truly is just a DNS issue. If this works with the IP and not the name, it is only DNS. If the ip and the name both fail you likely have bigger problems.

Good luck!!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: