Multiple www-apps/mediawiki installs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stelardactek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Multiple www-apps/mediawiki installs Reply with quote

I'm looking to try and get multiple instances of MediaWiki installed on the same box. What I thought I'd do is move the /var/www/localhost/htdocs/mediawiki directory elsewhere, install from portage, move that new install elsewhere, and then make a symlink I can change to point to either when updating.
I'd like to know if there is a better way of doing this? Specifically, is there a correct, Gentoo way of doing this?
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo way would be to use webapp-config. To do this you first need to emerge the web application with the "vhosts" USE flag enabled (either enabled it globally in make.conf or on a per-package basis in /etc/portage/package.use). The webapp-config man page will give you the commands for installing the web application to the desired location.

The advantage of using webapp-config is you can keep sites at different versions if you wish (even if you want to keep all your sites generally on the latest version, finding the time to safely upgrade all of them at once can be an issue - this way you can safely upgrade one at a time and it doesn't matter if you're interrupted between sites). It also allows you to easily list all the installed locations, so you can quickly see which sites are using which version of which webapp.
stelardactek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it might be something like that. What should I do to fix this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: