new linux user - modules question...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azmanam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: new linux user - modules question... Reply with quote

converting old desktop to linux os (gentoo x86)

i'm working through the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook for the install. I made it up to chapter 7 learning the language as I go (that's by far the hardest part. I'm pretty versed in computers, but this language learning curve is killer).

7.e says:
Quote:

7.e. Kernel Modules

Configuring the Modules

You should list the modules you want automatically loaded in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. You can add extra options to the modules too if you want.

To view all available modules, run the following find command. Don't forget to substitute "<kernel version>" with the version of the kernel you just compiled:

Code Listing 5.1: Viewing all available modules

Code:
# find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko'

For instance, to automatically load the 3c59x.ko module, edit the kernel-2.6 file and enter the module name in it.

Code Listing 5.2: Editing /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Code:
# nano -w /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Code Listing 5.3: /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Code:
3c59x

Gotta tell you, that tells me essentially nothing. What are modules? What do they do? the find command returns several pages of *.o and *.ko results. many with cryptic names. What do they mean? how do i know what module does what?

then when it says i should edit /etc/modules/autoload.d/kernel-2.6 to automatically load the modules of my choice, that is unhelpful and frustrating. I don't know what a module is, let alone which ones I think I should have autoload.

Can someone give me a primer on modules and what I should do to complete this step of the install? I don't want to go on in case my results here are critical for the next step, but I don't want to turn the computer off, because I don't know if I'll have to start from the beginning if I don't finish in this sesson.

Essentially, I need a little help. Thanks in advance for your help and patience.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modules are parts of the kernel which be can compiled separately and then loaded (and unloaded) at any time rather than compiled directly in the kernel.

It's mostly used for drivers for things you may need, but won't need all the time, and also for third party kernel drivers like the binary ati and nvidia ones.

Another advantage to modules is that if you left out support for something in your running kernel and if it can be compiled as a module (not everything can be), then you should be able to compile it and then modprobe (load) it into the running kernel.

General rule of thumb, everything you need to boot has be built in, and anything else which you'll be using all the time should be built in, for most other things modules might be more appropiate.

You don't actually _need_ modules at all, so if you're concerned about it you should probably just build a monolithic kernel (ie everything you need is built in), at least until you become more comfortable with it.

Of course, none of this actually helps you with configuring your kernel, which is what really matters...
azmanam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your quick reply.

I think I have a basic understanding now, thanks.

I do have an nvidia video card and a creative soundblaster sound card i will need to get running at some point. it sounds like your saying those will fall under this module category? Should I do anything about that now?

or do you recommend i continue with the install leaving the modules alone for now and adjust the modules later as need be?
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I recommend just getting your Gentoo installation up and running before trying to worry about anything else. That means that you should not worry about 3D acceleration for your nVidia card, or your sound. First thing to do is to get the Gentoo base system installed. Before you install X and any subsequent desktop environment or window manager, THEN worry about your graphics acceleration. For that reason, just compile your kernel with support that you HAVE to have included in order to boot the system (your SATA/PATA chipset drivers, et cetera). If you need help with determining any particular part of kernel configuration, please just post the output of lspci and we will gladly help you. :)
azmanam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
(chroot) livecd / # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Contoller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Contoller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Contoller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Contoller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Contoller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corp. NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
02:03.0 Communication controller: Conexant HCF 56l Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp Modem (rev 08)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82562EZ 10/100 ethernet Controller (rev 01)

Thanks again for all your help. To clarify, I'm going through x86 handbook (minimal install cd, default partitions, genkernel kernel configuration). I've made it to chapter 7.e and have not proceeded any further.

PS. In the handbook (at least on my screen) the 1 and l (lowercase l) are the SAME character. Most of hte time I can tell in context, but it has been a source of confusion a few times.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said ... I've found it helpful to just get Gentoo booting to a command line
with the default kernel and whatever it wants to load, and then run genkernel and
rebuild the kernel a few times until everything I need is in the kernel, with nothing
surplus.

The only modules I load are those dealing with sound, and the motherboard modem,
both of which have to be unloaded and reloaded to work after the machine has come
out of hibernation.

Will
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, you want to make sure you include built in to your kernel:

1. Intel controllers (for line one of lspci)
2. Support for ICH5 (including SATA/PATA)
3. You ethernet controller

Those options should be readily findable in your kernel configuration. Once you compile the kernel and get through the rest of the handbook, you will know pretty quickly if you missed something vital in your kernel configuration. If you reboot and you don't get anywhere (like GRUB complains of not being able to find a bootable device), then you missed something. I'm not currently in a position where I can tell you precisely how to configure your kernel, but if you get stumped, I will try to figure out the names of the exact options you need enabled.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: