Working Gentoo Installation, but have [masked keywords]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathan G.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Working Gentoo Installation, but have [masked keywords] Reply with quote

Hi all,

First, I just want to give a big shout of victory--after six months of tinkering with gentoo, finally buying a router, setting up everything I need, I have a working installation of Gentoo 2008 Beta--and that was done on dial-up! So I'm pretty jazzed that I can boot Gentoo without the CD now.... I can't say enough for the handbook--I followed it and followed it again, until it worked. Thanks also to the guys on here and on IRQ who have patiently born with even my noobie Linux questions....

Now to the point: I have a working gentoo installation. I can sync the portage tree. I made four attempts to manually build the kernel--the first was the command straight from the handbook. It built the kernel, but the command

Code:
cp /arch/x86/bzImage /boot/kernel

yielded a no-go--cp could not find the file.

Undaunted, I searched the fora and found this post:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-674360-highlight-copy+bzimage+kernel.html

I chrooted into my existing environment, and I executed the code in this post from that thread by The Unkown:

Quote:
Just to get me up to speed, are you intalling a 64 bit or 32 bit system?

Quote:
Now i am past compiling the kernel but when i do

cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzimage /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
i get a no such file or directory error. and it wont copy anything

i have also tried with just arch/x86/boot/bzimage with no luck

I have never installed a 64 bit system so I can't say exactly what is wrong, but its either you were not in the directory /usr/src/linux at the time of running that command or the path is wrong, or if that's the actual command that you used-the "i" in bzimage needs to be a uppercase "I". On a 32 bit system while your in the /usr/src/linux directory, the command would be
Code:
cp /arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
You could do two things,
1: Use TAB completion to help find the path to the bzimage
2: Use the tried and trusted command Code:
make install
when your in the /usr/src/linux directory. This will copy over over the bzimage for you and name it vmlinuz-<kernel version>. After running the command just do Code:
ls -al /boot/
to see what the actual name is and make sure to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst to point that specific name.

Starting with his suggestion 2, I ran

Code:
make install

and, miracle of miracles, I found [*]vmlinuz-2.6.24-gentoo-r8[*] in my /boot directory.

I fired up nano and edited grub.conf to reflect the new kernel. Reboot. Pull out the disks. Result: Grub Error 15: File not Found! Yay.

I tried the same code again, just to make sure. Chroot. make install. I edited grub.conf. Reboot. Same result: Error 15.

So I decide to go back to the handbook. I double checked everything, chrooted into my environment. I also found the handy dandy Grub Error Guide at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml?style=printable in which I discovered the code

Code:
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

which after execution DID copy my kernel to /boot.

I apologize, it's been a long day, but for whatever reason, I can't remember why I couldn't (or didn't) edit grub.conf to reflect the /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r8 file. So at any rate, I rebooted, pulled out the disc, and edited grub.conf on the fly from the bootloader splash screen. Huzzah, Huzzah! I finally booted into my very own brand spanking new gentoo installation! It was great.

So I get into the installation, log in as root. No sweat. Now hang on to your hat.....

There is no grub in /boot. There is no portage directory. I can sync the portage as detailed in the handbook, but I get a messege at the end of the sync saying that I should emerge portage. I try. The result is that all the sys-boot builds are masked by keywords.

The same goes for emerge grub. The same for emerge gnome. The same for emerge PPP.

I looked into the gentoo wiki to try to unmask the builds, but apparently the file in which the names of these unmasked builds are to be stored (using the "echo" command?) should be in the .../portage directory, which, as I've noted, doesn't exist. Figure that one out 8O

What else.....I think I've covered everything.... I can post the contents of whatever file you guys might need: fstab, make.conf, etc.... Just let me know.

Oh yeah, this is on a P3 866 Coppermine with 256MB of RAM. It's a Compaq Deskpro EN. I can get more hardware info if you need it.... The reason I mention this is because the output of emerge portage, emerge grub, etc. was that the builds were masked "because they may not have been tested on your architecture." So I don't know if it's a hardware thing or what.... Surely not though...

Anyway, thank you very much in advance for any thoughts.

Best,
Nathan G.
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Working Gentoo Installation, but have [masked keywords] Reply with quote

Nathan G. wrote:
There is no grub in /boot. There is no portage directory.

Post /etc/fstab. I think you'll find that /boot is not mounted automatically. As root, run mount /boot and then the grub directory will appear in /boot.

Nathan G. wrote:
I can sync the portage as detailed in the handbook, but I get a messege at the end of the sync saying that I should emerge portage. I try. The result is that all the sys-boot builds are masked by keywords.

Could you post the exact message? As well as your /etc/make.conf
Nathan G.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi avieth,

Here's /etc/fstab:

Code:

/dev/hdb1   /boot             ext2        noauto,noatime         1 2
/dev/hdb2   none             swap            sw                       0 0
/dev/hdb3   /                   ext3            noatime                0 1
/dev/hdc  /mnt/cdrom      auto,ro        auto                     0 0
/dev/hds  /mnt/cdrom2    auto,ro        auto                     0 0
/dev/fdd   /mnt/floppy      auto            auto                     0 0

Here's /etc/mtab:

Code:

/dev/hdb3   /   ext3  rw,   noatime   0  0
proc          /proc     proc   rw, nosuid,  nodev,  noexec 0  0
sysfs         /sys      sysfs  rw, nosuid,  nodev,  noexec 0  0
udev         /dev      tempfs   rw, nosuid  0  0
devpts      /dev/pts  devpts  rw, nosuid, noexec 0  0
usbfs        /proc/bus/usb  usbfs  rw, noexec, nosuid, devmode=0664, devgid=85  0  0

So apparently there's no /boot mentioned in /etc/mtab. However, I just noticed a line in the boot sequence that's quite important:

Code:
"Line 17 in /etc/fstab is bad"

which corresponds to the very first line you see in /etc/fstab above--I just didn't include all the comments from the file in my post here.

I'll get to make.conf ASAP. I had to type these over manually from my gentoo box. There's actually not much in make.conf--just six lines of uncommented code. The CHOST variable is CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu". I've also got my sync mirrors in there and the CFLAG and CXXFLAG.

I tried to do mount /boot from the command line as root, but it says "line 17 in /etc/fstab is bad..." and "cannot find /boot in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab". In addition, I've tried "defaults" instead of "noauto" in the /boot line in /etc/fstab, but that didn't seem to alleviate the problem.

I'll try to post those other "emerge" messages in the morning. Many thanks.

Best,
Nathan
------------------------------------------------
noob advice:
run this experiment on a machine that you can afford to lose completely
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge --info
you can say it, emerge is vital to gentoo, and the --info will output these vitals parts, before anything, you should provide that.
Neo2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan G. wrote:
Hi avieth,

Here's /etc/fstab:

Code:

/dev/hdb1   /boot             ext2        noauto,noatime         1 2
/dev/hdb3   /                   ext3            noatime                0 1
/dev/hdc  /mnt/cdrom      auto,ro        auto                     0 0
/dev/hds  /mnt/cdrom2    auto,ro        auto                     0 0
/dev/fdd   /mnt/floppy      auto            auto                     0 0

Code:
"Line 17 in /etc/fstab is bad"

which corresponds to the very first line you see in /etc/fstab above--I just didn't include all the comments from the file in my post here.

Honestly, I don't know how dump works. I've had a look at the gentoo handbook and as an example it shows the fifth field set to "1". Mine is actually set at "0" and I never had problems of any sort. Try setting it to 0 and see what happens (I'm talking about the /boot line). Also, your boot isn't mounted at boot-time because noauto is specified. The lines about your cdrom drives are mistyped. The third and the fourth fields are swapped and I don't think you want cdroms mounted at boot-time, usually there's no media inserted. Those lines should look like:
Code:
/dev/hdc  /mnt/cdrom      auto        noauto,ro                     0 0
/dev/hds  /mnt/cdrom2    auto        noauto,ro                     0 0

Also keep in mind that specifying the filesystem type as "auto" in the third field needs that you edit /etc/filesystems and specify a list of filesystems that mount should use to probe for the filesystem type. A sample /etc/filesystem might be (note that they'll be probed in the order they're written):
Code:
# /etc/filesystems
#
# This file defines the filesystems search order used by a
# 'mount -t auto' command.
#

# Uncomment the following line if your modular kernel has vfat
# support and you want mount to try vfat.
#vfat

vfat
ntfs
iso9660
udf
ext3
reiserfs
ext2

# Keep the last '*' intact as it directs mount to use the
# filesystems list available at /proc/filesystems also.
# Don't remove it unless you REALLY know what you are doing!

Usually cdroms use iso9660 filesystem (or UDF).
Your "new" fstab could look like:
Code:
/dev/hdb1   /boot             ext2        defaults,noatime         0 2
/dev/hdb3   /                   ext3            defaults,exec,noatime                0 1
/dev/hdc  /mnt/cdrom      iso9660        noauto,ro                     0 0
/dev/hds  /mnt/cdrom2    iso9660        noauto,ro                     0 0
/dev/fdd   /mnt/floppy      auto            noauto                     0 0

The "default" option includes (from man):
Code:
defaults
                     Use default options: rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async.

"exec" is there just in case, we don't want to boot without being able to execute binaries.
About emerge, please try to ensure that your /etc/make.profile symlink points to a current/correct profile. Something like:
Code:
fabio@gentoo-node1 ~ $ ls -lah /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 58 16 giu 16:49 /etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop

When you try to emerge portage try to avoid dependencies with "--nodeps":
Code:
emerge -1 --nodeps sys-apps/portage

Nathan G.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for all your help--I really appreciate it.

Before anything else, here's what emerge --info yields:

Code:

(chroot) livecd / # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.4.4 (default, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.6.1-r0, 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine)
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 04:00:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:     3.2_p17-r1
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r6
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.11.1
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1-r2
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.61-r1
sys-devel/automake:  1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.18-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r4
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.24
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.23-r3
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/gentoo/ ftp://gentoo.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/gentoo/ "
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="gnome"
Unset:  ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

(chroot) livecd / #

Please note the system uname: 2.6.19..... This is because I am chrooted into my environment while running the 2007.0 LiveCD.

In make.conf, I have the following info:

Code:

GNU nano 2.0.7              File: make.conf                                   

# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example.
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/gentoo/ ftp://gentoo.cites.uiu$

SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

USE="gnome"

As for /etc/filesystems, there's nothing in it but comments. However, there is an asterisk at the end to tell mount to look in /proc/filesystems also. The contents of /proc/filesystems are as follows:

Code:

nodev   sysfs
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc
nodev   cpuset
nodev   sockfs
nodev   pipefs
nodev   futexfs
nodev   tmpfs
nodev   inotifyfs
nodev   eventpollfs
nodev   configfs
nodev   devpts
        reiserfs
        ext3
        ext2
        squashfs
nodev   ramfs
        vfat
        iso9660
        udf
        xfs
        ocfs2
nodev   ocfs2_dlmfs
        gfs2
        gfs2meta
nodev   mqueue
nodev   usbfs
        jfs
nodev   rpc_pipefs
nodev   nfs

So I would think that if the cdrom is set to auto, then mount would look in /etc/filesystems first, then not finding anything, it would look in /proc/filesystems, where it should find iso9660, right? Maybe it just can't think that far......

In addition, my apologies--I did find portage under /usr/portage (where it should be I suppose....). My mistake....

As for the missing keyword error I'm getting when I try to emerge, I'm leary of attempting that command now while booting from the liveCD in a chrooted environment. I don't want to mess anything else up, and I want to make a report on the exact error that I got when I booted from the HD.

I'll try some of these suggestions, and post an update presently.

Oh yes, Neo2.... Thanks for all the suggestions. I did however, have the fourth field of the first line of /etc/fstab set to defaults at first..... This line gave me the error "line 17 in /etc/fstab is bad..." also, so I tried noauto instead. That still gave me the same error as I mentioned.... The first things I will try is to set the fourth field to defaults and set the fifth field to 0, as you mentioned.
noob advice:
Nathan G.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: SOLVED--Thanks guys! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Success! Thanks a lot for all your help. Here's what I did:

When I checked where my /etc/make.profile pointed I had approximately this:

Code:

ls -lah /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 58 16 giu 16:49 /etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default

where I should have had more like this:

Code:

ls -lah /etc/make.profile
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 58 16 giu 16:49 /etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop

One down.

I also fixed fstab to this:

Code:

/dev/hdb1   /boot             ext2        defaults,noatime         0 2
/dev/hdb3   /                   ext3            defaults,exec,noatime                0 1
/dev/hdc  /mnt/cdrom      iso9660        noauto,ro                     0 0
/dev/hds  /mnt/cdrom2    iso9660        noauto,ro                     0 0
/dev/fdd   /mnt/floppy      auto            noauto                     0 0

which worked like a charm. I don't know why the first line, fifth field worked when set to "0" as opposed to being set to "1" (where being set to "1" was proscribed in the handbook), but it boots fine now.

Two down. Reboot. A very nice command prompt! Works like a charm--thanks again guys.

noob advice:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: