VLC Output + Flash Fullscreen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robstar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: VLC Output + Flash Fullscreen Reply with quote

I am using the unstable version of vlc, which I much prefer over the old.
The thing is I would like to use it as my main media viewer but it sometimes had a problem loading videos. I needed vlc because it can play stuff my other playes can't, and it plays them well.
On the recent Beta update of 0.9 vlc, it seems to have sorted my video crashing problem, so that's one problem down, 1 more to go.

Fortunate for me I have 2 displays (using nvidia and set up as TwinView, xinerama installed on apps, but not used in xorg.conf: Option "Xinerama" "0")
and using the desktop enlightenment (CVS not portage).
Because it use to crash I would always put my videos full screen, and then it woud crash at the end (Black screen).
Thanks to having a second screen, I don't need to do an Alt + Ctrl + Backspace, all I have to do is restart enlightenment and its fix.
After doing this repeatedly it gets quite annoying and it would be very nice if this problem is fixed.
Turns out using XVideo and X11 video drivers does this. I wonder why Xine and mplayer didn't do this.
Well Xine is on auto, but just works.
Mplayer uses Opengl (X11). Mplayer is specifically set up for playing .flv files.
Looking at Mplayer and Opengl (X11) I set up Vlc to do the same thing. It crashes on loading the video, why?

Code:

[00000446] main opengl error: option glx-shm does not exist
[????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 144.31 failed with error code 8:
 BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  144 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  31 (X_GLXCreateWindow)
  Serial number of failed request:  53
  Current serial number in output stream:  54

that's why. glx-shm is missing. Now I have searched the web and found nothing. No one even cared to mention what the dam thing is and what it does. No one actually got it working in the end.
Sorry for my language, but I spent the best part of yesturday playing around with my pc to only make it worse as the end result.
(Besides getting everything else back to normal, flash player in firefox on youtube.com. I press full screen and it doesn't cover the whole screen no more. Just a narrow band)
So after scouring the web and coming up with nothing, I looked at the other video drivers that I have installed.
Simple DirectMedia Layer, which works rather well but when you go full screen it covers both screens. On the upside I get my desktop back.
DirectFB, which has been a bit iffy. It produces a window but doesn't go full screen; also it seems to have broken recently, resorting to XVideo.

Simple DirectMedia Layer is my second choice. If anyone can tell me how to resolve it, so not covering both of my screens, just the one its on, then you can call me happy, but I really want to know about glx_shm. What is it and what does it do?

Last edited by Robstar on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robstar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did a lot of work after doing my last post.
I looked at the drivers again.
X11 - would do fullscreen correctly but would crash on a hiccup.
XVideo - displays the resolution of both screens but in one screen, very annoying.
Simple DirectMedia Layer - does both screens at both screen resolution.

I looked at this very carefully. Obviously, to me, this is linked with my flash veiwing as the resolution of both screens, but would scale it down to fit in one screen.

Many times I go over and over trying to see what is causing this.
It can't be X.org as it is setup as it was originally and showed fullscreen probably (well for flash it did).
Nvidia drivers? Seems not to be as it relates to X.org. They go hand in hand, and the setup is the same, so shouldn't make any difference.
They only thing I can think of is something that I have installed that is causing it to do this.
I looked at dependences of firefox and vlc and I saw cairo and pango. If I remember correctly, these are image drivers and I had recently installed glitz to cairo so I got rid of it and the dep.
In fact I tried to return the system back to it's previous state, which is not possible cause I don't remember what has been updated.
I restored the USE flags back to there original self and it hasn't worked.
I assumed for a while it was the graphic toolkits, so I would repeatably try and re-install GTK+. Cause this didn't work.
So this gave me the conclusion it can't be the graphic toolkits, or something is effecting them.

At the moment, I can only see something between X.org and the Graphic toolkits.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: