[NEWS] 2008.0-r1 may help if you've had LiveCD problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: [NEWS] 2008.0-r1 may help if you've had LiveCD problems Reply with quote

This forums thread is for discussion of the www.gentoo.org posting, "2008.0-r1 may help if you've had LiveCD problems." Please post your comments and suggestions here.
Quote:
For those unfortunate souls who couldn't boot or burn the LiveCD, we've provided the 2008.0-r1 revision bump. It fixes these specific problems:
  • Bug #230998: 2008.0 LiveCD for x86/amd64 messes up when copying kernel/initramfs into tmpfs
  • Bug #231024: LiveCD AMD64 image does not fit on ordinary 700MB CD

We apologize if you encountered one of these problems. We fixed them as quickly as we could after hearing about them. Get the new 2008.0-r1 revision from our "Get Gentoo!" page.
Astro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for being so quick to fix it up! Looking forward to trying this out (properly this time) on my old Win XP partition. So Long Windows!
elsenator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the 2008.0 release, I've been waiting a long time for it. Unfortunately i can't get it to boot on some very recent Core 2 Duo and Quad machines. After selecting charset it tells me it can't find the boot medium. It's quite certainly because of some missing pata/sata modules in the kernel since it works just fine with Knoppix 5.3.1 which holds a 2.6.24 kernel.

Is there a chance you will include more of the controller modules in one of these fix releases? I'd gladly give you some specs on the computers in question if you need them. An lspci or something like that.

EDIT: Oh, and let me just praise the entire Gentoo team while i'm at it. After i discovered Gentoo so many things have become apparent when it comes to Linux. So far I've used it on everything from AMD Geode embedded systems to server PC's with Quad core cpu's. It's just so brilliantly apparent to use. To me this is how Linux is meant to be.
flatelin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can boot knoppix, use knoppix to install gentoo. All the instructions are still the same (chroot, grab stage tarball, etc). Just make sure you include everything you're going to need to boot when you build your kernel.
sham
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the fast reaction and bugfixing. :!:
elsenator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flatelin wrote:
If you can boot knoppix, use knoppix to install gentoo. All the instructions are still the same (chroot, grab stage tarball, etc). Just make sure you include everything you're going to need to boot when you build your kernel.

I am well aware of that, but for reasons i don't have room to explain here, i need to use the Gentoo MinimalCD or something similarly small. :)
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elsenator wrote:
Thank you very much for the 2008.0 release, I've been waiting a long time for it. Unfortunately i can't get it to boot on some very recent Core 2 Duo and Quad machines. After selecting charset it tells me it can't find the boot medium. It's quite certainly because of some missing pata/sata modules in the kernel since it works just fine with Knoppix 5.3.1 which holds a 2.6.24 kernel.

Is there a chance you will include more of the controller modules in one of these fix releases? I'd gladly give you some specs on the computers in question if you need them. An lspci or something like that.

Please file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org with as much information as you can provide about your hardware (lspci output, etc) and the error message. Also ensure that you are running 2008.0-r1 instead of just 2008.0.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=159747#c23 I'm wondering why the LiveCD still advice rp-pppoe within the file Getting_Online.txt.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work! I tried the 2008.0 though just got system up and now I see there's an update already! Anyway, I don't know if it's addressed with the update, and I'm pretty sure it's not a bug exactly, but I have a 9800 GTX nvidia card and xorg didn't recognize it. No biggie, every gentoo install I've ever done was from the command line anyway. Up and running now, that's all I care about. :D
mindwarp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick fix!
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: I will do a new download and burn to check... however... Reply with quote

The LiveCD of 2008.0-r1 with the boot options:

gentoo nox doscsi dodhcp

get me to a command prompt, although both the "installer" and "installer-console" take me to an installer that barfs when I try to 'Add a New Partition' in the installer menu.

Does this sound like a corrupted download? Curious because it worked fine on the machine that burned it... (burned from Vista Ultimate 32 with Nero 7 Ultra)

Tested the burned CDs and they worked on the Vista box with X and all, as well as 'nox'...

Does Gentoo always ship with a broken installer? Should I follow the handbook and do it manually from the command prompt instead?

BTW the platform receiving the installation is as follows:

Shuttle SN27P2 Barebones
Athlon X2 6000+ Dualcore
8GB Mushkin DDR2-800MHz
ATI AIW Radeon X1900 XT (R580)
WD Raptor 150GB 10Krpm (System)
Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm (Home)
Syntax Olevia LT27HV LCD HDTV DVI-I 1280x720dpi native resolution (Problematic for X configuration, I know)

Anyone willing or able to lend a hand?
agaffney
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I will do a new download and burn to check... however... Reply with quote

flacvest wrote:
get me to a command prompt, although both the "installer" and "installer-console" take me to an installer that barfs when I try to 'Add a New Partition' in the installer menu.

And if you expect it to ever get fixed, you should report it on the Gentoo bugzilla with some actual details, such as how it barfed and what your current partition layout looks like.
flacvest
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Reply with quote

I appreciate the prompt response! There was an error code, and I suppose it would be best described where you mentioned.

Thx, flacvest
dunp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: [NEWS] 2008.0-r1 may help if you've had LiveCD problems Reply with quote

Keyboard layout does not work on X, must edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get it work.
BeteNoire
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that a long awaited 2008 release came with such bugs... Can't believe that it hasn't been tested enough.