NWN SDL parachute deployed solved
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radhek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: NWN SDL parachute deployed solved Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been running into the SDL Parachute deployed message when trying to run neverwinternights. Contrary to what I read on the forum, this error does not seem to have anything to do with the patch.key file, but rather with a misconception of the ebuild. Here's how I solved it, on three of my computers :

NB : This quick tutorial assumes that you do not have a windows partition, on which to get the binaries.

Code:

USE='nowin' emerge -f nwn
cd /opt
mkdir nwn
cd nwn
tar -xzvf /usr/portage/distfiles/nwresources129.tar.gz
cd nwn
mv * ../
cd ..
rm -Rf nwn
tar -xzvf /usr/portage/distfiles/nwclient129.tar.gz
./fixinstall
tar -xzvf /usr/portage/distfiles/linuxclientupdate129to130.tar.gz

Now, there's a little problem. There seems to be some kind of bug with the SDL library provided in the package : it makes the xserver default to 60hz. This is bugging, let's fix it :

Code:

cd /opt/nwn/lib
rm libSDL-1.2.so.0
ln -sf /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0.0.5 libSDL-1.2.so.0

Last problem : If you get a message complaining about libmss missing, you have to add /opt/nwn/miles to your library path :

Code:

emacs /etc/env.d/98nwn
Inside emacs :
LDPATH=/opt/nwn/miles
Save, Quit.
env-update

Don't forget to set your permissions correctly !

Enjoy,
refriedbean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a life-saver!
Thanks Radhek!! 8)
Vlad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I have no idea why, but I can't for the LIFE of me get nwn to recognize the LDPATH. I've got /opt/nwn/miles at the end of my /etc/ld.so.conf, I've added /etc/env.d/98nwn with one line: LDPATH=/opt/nwn/miles, and I've run env-update (and yes, /opt/nwn/miles is still in my /etc/ld.so.conf file). Just incase, I ran ldconfig, env-update, source /etc/profile -- and my non-root users STILL can't see the freaking libraries. What the hell is wrong?!?
Vlad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nm. Fixed it. Stupid permission problems.
thing_q3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i've followed the instructions at the beginning, made the link to the non-package sdl libraries, set the LDPATH variable in /etc/env.d/98nwn and it shows up in /etc/ld.so.conf, checked all of the permissions... but it still won't work! always same old sdl parachute deployed. Actually, now it seems it's getting a bit further, because it's actually loading the screen, which it wasn't doing at first, but nothing shows up and then it gives the error. Any other ideas??? or something i'm doing wrong?
kabutor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guide, It run perfect, user audio included :)

The only thing is that for the ones who have the expansion pack Shadows Of Undrentide is better no not download the 45mb linux update to 1.32 (so don't use the ebuild I think) because later you have to install SoU and that override a lot of files :

Code:
insert SoU Cdrom
unzip /mnt/cdrom/Data_Shared.zip
unzip /mnt/cdrom/Language_data.zip
unzip /mnt/cdrom/Language_update.zip
unzip /mnt/cdrom/Data_Linux.zip
rm data/patch.bif
rm patch.key
./fixinstall

and donwload the patch:

http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch_linuxsou132.html
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Excellent instructions

Thank you!
SoulSe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This did not work for me! I still get the error message.

I really want to get this game running... I did buy it after all... worked fine on my previous machine .
MacFlecknoe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too am still getting the parachute deployed error. anyone have any other ideas as to its cause?
thorne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Radhek, going to try this when I get home! :D

SoulSe, MacFlecknoe: Just a hunch...

Check the nwn.ini file to make sure the resolution and color depth it is starting in is supported / listed in your /etc/XF86Config file, and your video card is capable of it.

I believe the default settings in the nwn.ini file is 32bpp, and 800x600. With those settings I get a black screen, squiggly lines, and a segfault, but I also didn't add that resolution in my XF86Config file. :)

Always worth a shot. Good luck.

Registered linux user #287718
spamspam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Parachute deployed solved for me Reply with quote

I know this thread is WAY stale, but I just installed the SoU expansion and had to jump through all kinds of hoops.

First of all, the installer (setup.sh) won't run with glibc2.1, so I had to use /mnt/cdrom/setup_data/altinstall.sh.

unfortunately there is a CR at the end of "#!/bin/bash" and it expects to be run from the cd. so the trick is to copy the entire CD somewhere on you hard drive, then edit altinstall.sh to remove the Carraige Return.

Then I got the Parachute deployed message, and seeing this thread, I decided to try
Code:

cd /opt/nwn/lib
mv libSDL-1.2.so.0 libSDL-1.2.so.0-bkp

which forces it to use the system SDL (which is newer and compiled for my CPU, w00t!), and it worked. As a bonus, my system SDL is compiled with support for artsd, so I don't have to kill it when I want to run nwn now.
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same (or similar) problem. NWN runs fine from portage for me. I encountered the problem when I installed the two expansions, following the official install instructions (since the expansions are not in portage). Then SDL deploys a parachute and I can no longer get NWN to load.
I copied the entire installation to a new directory, and re-emerged NWN, and that works. I then copied the files from the backup directory to the NWN directory, and it works... sort-of. NWN loads, and it recognizes Shadows of Unrentide, but not Hordes of the Underdark. I realized what my problem was quickly enough... the patch files (patch.key and data/patch.bif) were not deleted, as the NWN site says they must be when you install HotU. As soon as I delete those files, however, the game goes back to non-functional status: SDL parachute deployed.

I will try that last fix posted when I get home... But the problem really seems to be with the xp2patch files. Anybody else have a working NWN that breaks with HotU?
halfgnome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: i solved mine nwn (segmentaion fault) Reply with quote

if you are bringing your files from a windows install move the nwn.ini file to a different name and try starting the game.. that is what worked for me. :-)
scooterphish
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got NWN Platinum installed and running by following these instructions on the bioware forums (they're "unofficial" as Bioware has yet to post Platinum Edition install instructions for Linux).
The only difference was that I skipped the last step (putting in disk one and running NWN, entering the CD key,etc) and instead did the "USE=nowin" emerge of NWN.
When I ran NWN, I was asked for all three CD keys. Voila!
Must go and level up my Chaotic Evil Barbarian... (note to self: DON'T try to kill "Punkin" this time)
[edit] Doh! Black screen at new game...time to check those other forum threads
Anior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add that the user who runs the game must be allowed to create files in /opt/nwn and that (if it exists) /opt/nwn/AR_ERROR.LOG must be writable. Might give very strange errors if it isn't.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: