Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
fam flag - circular dependencies in 2008.0 desktop profile
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: fam flag - circular dependencies in 2008.0 desktop profile Reply with quote

Hello all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that there seems to be a problem with the fam USE flag (which is set by default in the 2008.0 desktop profile. On Sunday, when 2008.0 was released, this problem didn't happen. However, if one is installing now using the 2008.0 desktop profile, certain things will not emerge properly. For instance, syslog-ng will report circular dependencies between glib and gamin. xorg-x11 will report circular dependencies between glib, gamin, xinit, consolekit, dbus-glib, xf86-input-mouse, xorg-server, and nvidia-drivers.

For now, the easy workaround is to use the default profile until after these tools have been emerged. Then, one can switch to the desktop profile and do an emerge -avuDN world to update all packages using the new flags of the desktop profile. If anyone has any suggestions or other input, please feel free to comment here.

Bug: 231373

Last edited by NathanZachary on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you disable the fam flag, then re-enable it after the initial emerges?

Edit: And "emerge -uDN world" of course.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried this idea yet. Of course, it could also be done the way that dberkholz suggested, by just using USE="-fam" for emerging syslog-ng and xorg-x11. I'm not yet sure if other packages are also affected by the fam flag.
Xenoist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: fam flag - circular dependencies in 2008.0 desktop profile Reply with quote

KDE is affected too.
I set -fam for the USE Flags in /etc/make.conf
But it's ok cause I'm remerging the whole world because of the gcc update and glibc update's.

"emerge the world" every day!
razixx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trying to install amd64 gentoo on my system, and it's erroring out right while trying to emerge gentoo-sources, would this also be related to USE="fam" flag?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubtful, in either case being able to diagnose the problem is likely contingent upon having the exact text of the error messages.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razixx wrote:
Hi trying to install amd64 gentoo on my system, and it's erroring out right while trying to emerge gentoo-sources, would this also be related to USE="fam" flag?

As desultory said, it is highly unlikely that the fam USE flag is causing a problem with gentoo-sources. Mainly this flag is causing problems with circular dependencies, which shouldn't be an issue with the kernel sources. If you need help with the particular error, please feel free to post it in a new thread here in Installing Gentoo.
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

app-admin/gamin is what provides "fam" and gamin needs glib to build. And glib needs gamin to be installed to build with fam support. If glib is built first without fam, then gamin can be built after glib is installed.
Code:
USE=-fam emerge --oneshot dev-libs/glib
emerge --oneshot dev-libs/glib
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainskellr wrote:
app-admin/gamin is what provides "fam" and gamin needs glib to build. And glib needs gamin to be installed to build with fam support. If glib is built first without fam, then gamin can be built after glib is installed.
Code:
USE=-fam emerge --oneshot dev-libs/glib
emerge --oneshot dev-libs/glib

Good information; I will give this a go and see if it works. Thanks!
bbarao
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've solved it with this two steps:
Code:
emerge --nodeps glib
emerge gamin glib
robel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Installaing Reply with quote

He easy workaround is to use the default profile until after these tools have been emerged. Then, one can switch to the desktop profile and do an emerge -avuDN world to update all packages using the new flags of the desktop profile. If anyone has any suggestions or other input, please feel free to comment here.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like the easiest workaround is to do as robel suggested and use the default profile, later switching to the desktop and rebuilding.
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried this workaround twice now. I end up with a system with a couple of packages that won't effectively re-compile. The update world appears to have some in-built flaws which I consider a problem. The latest packages were kdemultimedia and a java related package, cyrus-sasl.
Will this fam flag's impact be resolved so as not to cause this ugly set of circular dependencies?
I wonder if the desktop profile should be avoided at all costs until it is.
psilo357
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many problems with this profile. Well, at least more circular dependencies on very common packages to a desktop install. If you try to emerge nvidia-drivers, hal, or xorg, they all drop the same circular dependencies...and since im still on original command line, it is too much trouble to go through and figure out which flags are causing it. Switching back to just the default profile solved the problem...

peace
flinkdeldinky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbarao wrote:
I've solved it with this two steps:
Code:
emerge --nodeps glib
emerge gamin glib

Thanks, this seems to have resolved my xorg-x11 nividia-drivers circular dependency problems on my AMD64 2008 desktop profile install.

However, I found that glib failed to compile because pkg-config wasn't installed. I did an emerge pkgconfig and everything worked okay. Shouldn't pkgconfig be listed as a dependency for glib?
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having done multiple test installations since the initial posting, this issue seems to have been resolved; Unpinning.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: