svn checkout hangs getting KDE svn
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: svn checkout hangs getting KDE svn Reply with quote

I am having issues with svn checkout hanging. It will start the checkout process and sometimes it will hang almost right away other times it will get much farther. According to the svn manual I should be able to do a:

svn update

after the failed svn checkout and it is supposed to continue where it left off. But it appears that the manual is wrong because the svn update tries to get the same stuff that is already on my disk and then it complains about the files already being there.

I have searched the net and on these forums and it appears that this is a common problem but no one seems to have any ideas about what is causing it or how to fix it.

Anyone have any ideas?
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try posting on KDE forum?

Thank you.
Phoenix591
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had trouble with it doign this too, i found some custom config found in /usr/portage/distfiles/svn-src/.subversion seeing as i can checkout from svn manually, i removed everything in that directory, then set the immutable flag on that directory. now it works fine.
(chattr +i ) . its a hackish solution, but it works for me. also, just in case, make a backup copy of that directory.
Phoenix591
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, strangely, all the options on the main config are commented out, so idk what is the root of the problem, but....
hvengel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got this working but mostly by accident. It appears that this is time of day dependent and it works best when I run these builds early in the morning. This would correspond to when internet usage is lowest for my ISP and I suspect that when there is lots of traffic that the ISP is losing some packets and svn chokes. I have noticed that firefox has some issues during these high traffic times as well. But at least it does not totally hang like svn does.
Zach_the_Lizard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: SVN fails when run by portage, works manually Reply with quote

I've had this interesting error today when trying to install KDE 4 from SVN. Now, I understand the KDE 4 from SVN is certainly a cause of potential pain and unsupportedness, but I went ahead anyways. So, I issue my commands, walk away, and come back later in the day to find that, out of the 70 packages or so I needed, it was stuck on package 5. It was downloading the source from subversion, but had gotten stuck. Deleting the source and restarting made it get stuck again. So I decided to checkout the source myself. It downloaded flawlessly the first time. So I continue emerging my system, but I end up with another stuck package. And another. And another. It is quite annoying to have to manually run subversion and checkout everything. Is there any workaround? Any special trick to ensure that when portage runs subversion it doesn't get stuck on a random file?

Note: this is the first time I've tried emerging something major via subversion. I don't know if this applies only to the kde-svn overlay, or if it is a general bug in the system.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the above post.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: