How should I compress these media files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordanwb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: How should I compress these media files Reply with quote

I have every episode of Mythbusters on my hard drive. I want to store all the complete seasons onto DVDs. I'm currently at Season 2, but I have to get a Dual Layer DVD for that. So I'm at Season 3 which measures at 5.5GB. What archive format can I use to get it down to fit on a standard DVD?

I tried tar.bz2 but it didn't compress at all.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lossy-encoded video is pretty much uncompressable, they are already about as small as you can get them, your only real option if you must shrink them down is to re-encode them...
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gzip / bzip2 compression is targeted at text files... or in general files that have patterns that repeat themselves. media files do not have that, they appear to be random data, or rather the patterns they have are not visible on a byte by byte layer. For these you need smart compressors who understand what the media represents, that can recognize and filter out patterns, probably even at the loss of quality. That's essentially what a video encoder does... recognize patterns in a video and see what you can throw away, preferably without the watcher noticing that it was thrown away. A good video encoder will get you rid of random noise in images and save only what changes from one image to the next, so if a ball rolls across a street, it would only save the ball (the thing that moves), not the street itself (which does not change). You can't do this with gzip.
jordanwb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I see. I guess I'll have to get more than one Dual Layer DVD. That'll cost me a pretty penny.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to re-encode and can't cut parts off (intro / credits / ads) either, that's the only option to fit it on a single dvd, yeah. apart from splitting the data and distributing it on more than one dvd of course.
jordanwb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I downloaded them the ads were already cut out. At Staples I can get a 25 DVD-R DL spindle for $30 CDN.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't harddrive storage cheaper these days?
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to pay 0,088€/GB in hard disks (cheapest possible), 0,0565€/GB in DVD-R media (quality media by Verbatim).

But yeah, both are cheap enough to get, so you should choose according to your needs. I use both - backup disk for automated daily incremental backups using dar. Using a hard disk here makes it easy to automate stuff - DVD-R can't be automated that easily, you always need someone to put in new media. So I only do that occasionally, from time to time, so I have some slightly older states of backups to go back to if the shit really hits the fan.

EDIT: whoops this isn't the backup thread lol :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: