VLC compile error - vlc-0.8.6i
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leynux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: VLC compile error - vlc-0.8.6i Reply with quote

I'v installed gentoo 2008.0-r1.
With default kernel, after emerge sync I start to emerge vlc.

Code:
emerge -av vlc

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/vlc-0.8.6i  USE="3dfx* X a52* aalib* alsa arts* bidi* cdda* cddb* corba* daap* dc1394* debug* directfb* dts* dvb* dvd esd fbcon* flac* ggi* gnome gnutls* hal httpd* jack* libcaca* libnotify lirc* live* matroska* modplug* mp3 mpeg musepack* ncurses nsplugin* ogg opengl optimisememory* oss* png rtsp* sdl sdl-image* seamonkey* shout* skins* speex* stream* svg svga* theora* truetype upnp* v4l* vcd* vlm* vorbis win32codecs wxwindows* x264* xinerama* xml xosd* xulrunner* xv (-altivec) -avahi -samba" 0 kB

I got the following error.. any help?

Code:
/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../..   -DSYS_LINUX -I../../include `top_builddir="../.." ../../vlc-config --cflags plugin glide` -Wsign-compare -Wall -O2 -march=i686 -pipe -pipe -MT libglide_plugin_la-glide.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libglide_plugin_la-glide.Tpo -c -o libglide_plugin_la-glide.lo `test -f 'glide.c' || echo './'`glide.c
 i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -DSYS_LINUX -I../../include -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__USE_UNIX98 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_GNU_SOURCE -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\" -DDATA_PATH=\"/usr/share/vlc\" -DPLUGIN_PATH=\"/usr/lib/vlc\" -O2 -D__VLC__ -D__PLUGIN__ -I/usr/include/glide3 -DMODULE_NAME=glide -DMODULE_NAME_IS_glide -Wsign-compare -Wall -O2 -march=i686 -pipe -pipe -MT libglide_plugin_la-glide.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libglide_plugin_la-glide.Tpo -c glide.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libglide_plugin_la-glide.o
mv -f .deps/libglide_plugin_la-glide.Tpo .deps/libglide_plugin_la-glide.Plo
/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc `top_builddir="../.." ../../vlc-config --cflags plugin glide` -Wsign-compare -Wall -O2 -march=i686 -pipe -pipe `top_builddir="../.." ../../vlc-config --libs plugin glide` -rpath '/usr/lib/vlc/video_output' -avoid-version -module -shrext .so -Wl,-O1 -o libglide_plugin.la  libglide_plugin_la-glide.lo ../../src/libvlc.la
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -shared  .libs/libglide_plugin_la-glide.o  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.8.6i/work/vlc-0.8.6i/src/.libs -L/usr/lib -lpthread -lglide3 -lm ../../src/.libs/libvlc.so  -march=i686 -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-soname -Wl,libglide_plugin.so -o .libs/libglide_plugin.so
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lglide3
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [libglide_plugin.la] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.8.6i/work/vlc-0.8.6i/modules/video_output'
make[3]: *** [all-modules] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.8.6i/work/vlc-0.8.6i/modules/video_output'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.8.6i/work/vlc-0.8.6i/modules'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.8.6i/work/vlc-0.8.6i'
make: *** [all] Error 2
 * ERROR: media-video/vlc-0.8.6i failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 2918:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake || die "make of VLC failed"
 *  The die message:
 *   make of VLC failed
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.8.6i/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.8.6i/temp/environment'.

* Messages for package media-video/vlc-0.8.6i:

* ERROR: media-video/vlc-0.8.6i failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 2918:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake || die "make of VLC failed"
 *  The die message:
 *   make of VLC failed
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.8.6i/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.8.6i/temp/environment'.
djanderson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it failed while building the Glide module... which was brought in by the 3dfx useflag.

Is there any reason that you're enabling almost all of the USE flags? I bet you don't need a lot of those. It's worth looking up what some of them do and eliminating them. I use the euse program that comes with gentoolkit.

Code:
$ euse --info 3dfx
global use flags (searching: 3dfx)
[-    ] 3dfx - Enable support for Voodoo chipsets, also called as 3DFX and TDFX

local use flags (searching: 3dfx)

Do you have a voodoo graphics card? If not... just take that useflag out and try again. You could probably take a lot more, too.

Do you need seamonkey?
Code:
 $ euse --info seamonkey
global use flags (searching: seamonkey)
[-    ] seamonkey - Adds support for the Seamonkey web-browser

local use flags (searching: seamonkey)

Do you own any Video CDs (they're kind of a rare format)? You could take out vcd. And you almost definitely don't want to comile any program with the debug useflag unless you are really debugging it, because it usually slows the program down a lot. You have enabled gnome support but also arts, KDE's sound server. Was that intentional?

etc etc...

Hope that helps

-Doug
leynux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I a bit in rush to have vlc running on my new install box for a presentation/demo. Since default USE flag is quite few, I don't know which one to enable.
Furthermore, i haven't touch gentoo for quite sometime.

Now its compile fine when i removed -3dfx.

anyhow thanks a lot.
djanderson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a little late, but as I mentioned, you really don't want debug enabled, either.
leynux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: VLC compile error - vlc-0.8.6i [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Thanks again.

You are very helpful. I really appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: