How do I get involved.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razixx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: How do I get involved. Reply with quote

Just curious, I'm still pretty much a noob when it comes to Linux, but I have to say, I've learnt more in the past 2 weeks, while playing with gentoo, then I have any other distro in the last 8 months. Just want to know how I can get involved for I have alot of respect for this distrobution of linux. :lol:
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razixx,

It all depends on your skills and interests.

The pay is not very good (Gentoo is an all volunteer distro) so everyone contributes for fun.
There are a few lucky individuals who get to work on Gentoo as part of their day job but thats because their employer wants them to.

You can help others on the forums or in #gentoo on irc.freenode.net. All thats needed is to either know the solution to the problem or know what further information is needed to make a diagnosis. Thats how I got started.

You can test packages and file bugs at bugs.gentoo.org if you know whats wrong and can fix it, file a patch with your bug.
If you keep this up in your area of interest, the package maintainers will notice any you may be recruited as a developer.

If thats too big a jump, participate in bugday on the first Saturday of every month.

You don't need to know any programming languages - Gentoo documents need to be maintained and in several (human) languages too.

These are only general responses to your inquiry. If it helps you focus on an area of interest, I'll be happy to answer more detailed questions

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: