View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]xorg && nvidia failure Reply with quote

ok, well ive been all over scouring the net for an answer for the past 3 days, and getting a little frustrated atm. im working on a fresh install, well a reinstall, and keep coming up with errors trying to configure xorg, and install the nvidia drivers

im on a windows machine typing this so bear with me. im just going to post the relevant parts.

here is my make.conf

Code:

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"

VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

i emerged xorg-x11 with out errors. then:

Code:

~#Xorg -configure

list of video drivers
  nv

(II) primary device is: PCI 00:12:0
no devices to configure. configuration failed

Code:

~#lspci
00:12:0 vga compatible controller: nVidia corporation device 053e (rev a2)

so i figured i might need the proprietary drivers, so...
Code:

~#emerge -av =nvidia-drivers-169.09-r1

*QA notice: USE flag 'userland_BSD' or 'kernel_FreeBSD' not in IUSE for x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-169-09-r1
*ERROR: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-169-09-r1 failed
*call stack:
*                       ebuild.sh, line 49:  called pkg_setup
*   nvidia-drivers-169-09-r1.ebuild,  line 174:  called die

*die message:  could not determine proper NVIDIA package

i did find a few others with a similar problem, tried their solution, but to no avail.
this makes no sense to me what so ever, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MarioCorleone on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning from Canada :)

As a dedicated nvidia user with gentoo i'm sure i could help you get this sorted. There's a few things I'm curious about the first results from this command

Code:
eselect opengl list

secondly what did you use for a kernel config? genkernel or your own kernel config selection?

The issue with xorg not detecting the nvidia binary driver usually results from having the xorg-x11 opengl set as active instead of nvidia so I'm thinking this could help with the initial configuration. The compile errors with nvidia-drivers usually either results from one or a mix of sources with most initial gentoo configurations. Those would be using a very new kernel source with stable tree nvidia-drivers or vice versa ( i generally just package.keyword all the nvidia-drivers as well as gentoo-sources and rarely have kernel compile conflicts with nvidia-drivers), the second would be incorrect kernel options selected for use with the nvidia binary drivers such as enabling paravirtualization or the nvidia framebuffer driver.

Last edited by ali3nx on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well following the guide, i did the eselect opengl list, and the only one there was xorg x11, and its selected.

first time around, i manually configured my kernel, being sure to not include the provided nvfb drivers, then tried a bunch of combinations, still the same result. so i did a genkernel, and still the same result.

im using a genkernel-2.6.26
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try adding x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers to /etc/portage/package.keywords then emerge nvidia-drivers. This should allow the newest nvidia drivers to install which should be better prepared for the newer kernel sources
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having this issue with all the nvidia-drivers packages?

if i get the proprietary drivers installed, will that fix my xorg problem?
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it should.

Code:
echo "x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers">>/etc/portage/package.keywords

the above example should unmask the latest nvidia driver package that's more likely to be compatible with the latest kernels. after you've done this simply

Code:
emerge nvidia-drivers

if nvidia drivers still will not build against your current kernel sources we may need to dig a little deeper into the kernel configuration
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats exactly what i did, same error. with all of them
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you post more details on the error you get when emerging nvidia-drivers including the 'error' and the 50 lines previous?
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats all i get, i reviewed the log, and thats it.

ali3nx
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the driver package halts before any compiling actually begins or do you see lots of compiling then it stops? the reason I ask is that

Code:
    ~#emerge -av =nvidia-drivers-169.09-r1

*QA notice: USE flag 'userland_BSD' or 'kernel_FreeBSD' not in IUSE for x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-169-09-r1
    *ERROR: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-169-09-r1 failed
    *call stack:
    *   nvidia-drivers-169-09-r1.ebuild,  line 174:  called die

*die message:  could not determine proper NVIDIA package

isn't terribly informative if your goal is to figure out why source code isn't completing a compile build. usually the more detailed gibberish like the example below will offer more details.

Code:
    t/include/widget -I../../../dist/include/xpcom -I../../../dist/include   -I../../../dist/include/accessibility -I/usr/include/nspr     -I../../../dist/sdk/include    -fPIC  -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -fno-rtti -fno-handle-exceptions -Wall -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -march=opteron -pipe -fPIC -Wno-return-type -w -fno-strict-aliasing -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -O2 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/gtk-unix-print-2.0    -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsAccessibleWrap.pp nsAccessibleWrap.cpp
    nsDocAccessibleWrap.cpp
    g++ -o nsDocAccessibleWrap.o -c -fvisibility=hidden -DMOZILLA_INTERNAL_API -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.6\" -DOSARCH=Linux -DGENTOO_LIB_DIR=\"/usr/lib64\" -I. -I./../base -I./../html -I./../xul -I../../../other-licenses/atk-1.0  -I. -I. -I../../../dist/include/content -I../../../dist/include/docshell -I../../../dist/include/dom -I../../../dist/include/editor -I../../../dist/include/gfx -I../../../dist/include/thebes -I../../../dist/include/intl -I../../../dist/include/layout -I../../../dist/include/locale -I../../../dist/include/necko -I../../../dist/include/string -I../../../dist/include/uriloader -I../../../dist/include/view -I../../../dist/include/webshell -I../../../dist/include/widget -I../../../dist/include/xpcom -I../../../dist/include   -I../../../dist/include/accessibility -I/usr/include/nspr     -I../../../dist/sdk/include    -fPIC  -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -fno-rtti -fno-handle-exceptions -Wall -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -march=opteron -pipe -fPIC -Wno-return-type -w -fno-strict-aliasing -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -O2 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/gtk-unix-print-2.0    -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsDocAccessibleWrap.pp nsDocAccessibleWrap.cpp
    nsRootAccessibleWrap.cpp
    g++ -o nsRootAccessibleWrap.o -c -fvisibility=hidden -DMOZILLA_INTERNAL_API -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.6\" -DOSARCH=Linux -DGENTOO_LIB_DIR=\"/usr/lib64\" -I. -I./../base -I./../html -I./../xul -I../../../other-licenses/atk-1.0  -I. -I. -I../../../dist/include/content -I../../../dist/include/docshell -I../../../dist/include/dom -I../../../dist/include/editor -I../../../dist/include/gfx -I../../../dist/include/thebes -I../../../dist/include/intl -I../../../dist/include/layout -I../../../dist/include/locale -I../../../dist/include/necko -I../../../dist/include/string -I../../../dist/include/uriloader -I../../../dist/include/view -I../../../dist/include/webshell -I../../../dist/include/widget -I../../../dist/include/xpcom -I../../../dist/include   -I../../../dist/include/accessibility -I/usr/include/nspr     -I../../../dist/sdk/include    -fPIC  -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -fno-rtti -fno-handle-exceptions -Wall -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -march=opteron -pipe -fPIC -Wno-return-type -w -fno-strict-aliasing -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -O2 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/gtk-unix-print-2.0    -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsRootAccessibleWrap.pp nsRootAccessibleWrap.cpp
    nsAppRootAccessible.cpp
    g++ -o nsAppRootAccessible.o -c -fvisibility=hidden -DMOZILLA_INTERNAL_API -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.6\" -DOSARCH=Linux -DGENTOO_LIB_DIR=\"/usr/lib64\" -I. -I./../base -I./../html -I./../xul -I../../../other-licenses/atk-1.0  -I. -I. -I../../../dist/include/content -I../../../dist/include/docshell -I../../../dist/include/dom -I../../../dist/include/editor -I../../../dist/include/gfx -I../../../dist/include/thebes -I../../../dist/include/intl -I../../../dist/include/layout -I../../../dist/include/locale -I../../../dist/include/necko -I../../../dist/include/string -I../../../dist/include/uriloader -I../../../dist/include/view -I../../../dist/include/webshell -I../../../dist/include/widget -I../../../dist/include/xpcom -I../../../dist/include   -I../../../dist/include/accessibility -I/usr/include/nspr     -I../../../dist/sdk/include    -fPIC  -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -fno-rtti -fno-handle-exceptions -Wall -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -march=opteron -pipe -fPIC -Wno-return-type -w -fno-strict-aliasing -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -O2 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/gtk-unix-print-2.0    -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsAppRootAccessible.pp nsAppRootAccessible.cpp
    error compile imploded read me first not the humanoid friendly error directly below
    QA notice: USE flag 'userland_BSD' or 'kernel_FreeBSD' not in IUSE for x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-169-09-r1
    *ERROR: net-libs/xulrunner-1901 failed
    *call stack:
    *   xulrunner-1901.ebuild,  line 174:  called die

*die message:  could not determine proper ERROR message
    MarioCorleone
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, no compiling, not even a check, what i posted is my error
    ali3nx
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok fair enough :)

i'm fairly uncertain if any currently available nvidia drivers would build against 2.6.26 kernel sources due to some testing issues i've yet to resolve but this situation does appear to indicate that could be the situation. I'm 100% certain that if all other possible issues are negligible then the keyworded nvidia-drivers should build without fail against gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r6.

Code:
    emerge =gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r6

This should install the sources. try building against that kernel version and see if it helps. While it's often good day when nvidia drivers work with the most recent kernel sources unfortunately thats not always the case. If the situation still persists i'm not unknown for disliking genkernel's results or assuming there's more trouble lurking. One other thing actually comes to mind is the recent major update to python 2.5 if you recently upgraded python then you very likely have many other packages to rebuild with python-updater. Any one of them could be contributing to the issues you've been experiencing.
    MarioCorleone
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not even sure that i have python on there yet. im getting the 2.6.25-r6 sources, does the latest nvidia drivers work with that kernel?
    ali3nx
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly does :)

Code:
    midas ~ # uname -a
    Linux midas 2.6.25-gentoo-r4 #1 SMP Tue Jun 17 08:09:00 CDT 2008 x86_64 Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 180 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
    midas ~ # lspci |grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GT] (rev a1)
    midas ~ # eselect opengl list
    Available OpenGL implementations:
      [1]   nvidia *
      [2]   xorg-x11
    MarioCorleone
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compiling kernel now, will get back to ya after rebooting, btw, I really appreciate your help.
    ali3nx
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No trouble at all mate. five years later after my first gentoo adventures i didn't get here without help from a lot of gentoo developers and very intelligent users. :)
    MarioCorleone
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me either. guess i should have known to look at which ones coincided with each other.
    MarioCorleone
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that didnt do the trick, i checked python, and i have 2.4.4-r13 installed, and python-updater 0.2 installed. ??
    im going to update python and all it deps well get back to ya in a bit
    MarioCorleone
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, which package is "find" and "sed" a part of? i ran the nvidia-driver.run fil myself, and i get an error "./conftest.sh: line 70: sed: command not found.
    ali3nx
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i'm not mistaken they belong to sed and findutils.

Code:
    hammer ~ # equery b sed
    [ Searching for file(s) sed in *... ]
    sys-apps/sed-4.1.5-r1 (/bin/sed)
    hammer ~ # equery b find
    [ Searching for file(s) find in *... ]
    kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r3 (/usr/kde/3.5/share/apps/kicker/menuext/find)
    www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.15 (/usr/lib64/mozilla-firefox/include/find)
    sys-apps/findutils-4.3.13 (/usr/bin/find)

Do you have your base system completely installed?

Code:
    emerge -uDNpv system
    MarioCorleone
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i got those figured out, it seems that i need to tell it to install the amd64 package, cause it cant decide between x86, amd64, or x86-fbsd, so how would i go about doing that?
    ali3nx
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps a recap of what you've done during your install might be wise. emerge --info would be useful. secondly which livecd and stage did you use? it's highly unusual that sed and find would be missing from a new install. Did you leave your chroot by chance and forget to re chroot or reboot and need to remount any partitons? I've done it on occasion myself and this obviously results in missing files.
    krinn
    Watchman
    Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be that you didn't create the symlink for your profile.
    provide emerge --info or check it's a valid one.
    MarioCorleone
    Guru
    Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somehow they got turned into "gsed" and "gfind" so i just linked them to what they were supposed to be. i used the 2008 minimal cd, but havent been on that for t days now. everything thats supposed to be mounted is. so i dont know.

Code:

portage 2.2_rc1 (arch/amd/no-multilib, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.6.1-r0, 2.6.25-r6 x86_64)
    ======================================================
    system uname: linux-2.6.25-r6-x86_64-amd_athlon-tm_64_x2_dual_core_processor_5400+-with-glibc2.2.5
    Timestamp of tree: today
    app-shells/bash: 3.2_p17-r1
    dev-lang/python: 2.4.4-r13, 2.5.2-r5
    dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6
    sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.11.1
    sys-apps/sandbox: 1.2.18.1-r2
    sys-devel/autoconf: 2.62-r1
    sys-devel/automake: 1.7.9-r1, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.1-r1
    sys-devel/binutils: 2.18-r1
    sys-devel/gcc-config
    sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.4
    virtual/os-headers: 2.6.23-r3     <------------------------[color=red]is this my problem? [/color]
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
    CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

ali3nx
    l33t
    l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your linux header version is the same as most of my own machines so i dont think thats the problem. As to what could have renamed sed and find i'm completely uncertain. However I'll ask again as it does really make a difference with how well your gentoo installation will immediately function...

1) which livecd dvd you use and which stage?
    2) did you use the either of the "automatic" installers on the new livecd or install manually with the console as most traditional gentoo installations have been?

If you used the gtk installer It's also more possible that something borked during your install. I personally haven't tested the automatic installers available with the new install media and I'll give credit where credit is due to the devs that maintain the automatic installer for making an effort but they also have a notorious history of failing to complete during 60-80% of most installations or creating more of a mess to fix afterwards if they do manage to complete an installation.
    Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: