Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
vmware overlay - ETA for vmware-server-2.0.0-101586?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nocternal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: vmware overlay - ETA for vmware-server-2.0.0-101586? Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm wondering if anyone knows when the vmware overlay will be updated to contain vmware-server 2.0.0 RC1? I've built my own ebuild to get it to install (using the current vmware-server-2.0.0.84186 ebuild as a start). My glued-together ebuild does build everything and install properly. Each time I restart the vmware-server's /etc/init.d/ script it says the modules are not compiled (even though they exist in /lib/modules/'uname -r'/misc/). This is solved by running the config file each time. It always starts fine after that.

RC1's build number is 101586 - hence my title.

I'm just waiting for the ebuild to be updated/added in the vmware overlay :)
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

are you using vmware-server-2.0 in a productive or high-load-test environment? Is it stable etc.? Thanks to paravirt the performance of the guests should be much better than in vmware-server-1.*. Is that true? And how are you serving your storage (local fs/local lvm/iscsi/...)?

nocternal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a fairly high load on the VM's occasionally. Right now I'm using vmware-server solely for sandboxing only. I was just curious when someone would add this recent update to the vmware overlay.

As far as stability goes - I have not had vmware-server crash on me yet. I've been running this build for about two weeks now. I'm havng some timing issues between the host and guest VM's. This is partly (or totally?) due to me using the power saving features on the AMD X2 processor (PowerNOW! - intel's is speedstep).

I cannot comment about the VM speeds as I upgraded to a new processor/system between 1.x and 2.x of vmware-server. This RC1 build is a bit faster then the previous beta releases. This has more to do with some of the debugging code being removed/turned off.

EB
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your experience. Even though I just found out that vmware-server-2 needs virt. support from the cpu - which is a problem for a lot of old machines here. :-(

But I wish you good luck with your installation :-)
nocternal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... and no.

VMware will still run on older processors - it just wont give you some of the speed enhancements that the svm (amd) or vt (Intel) extensions provide.

Good Luck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: