Gentoo 2008 + missing scripts?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jc179
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Gentoo 2008 + missing scripts? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I recently built a 2008 gentoo system, and noticed for example the /etc/init.d/autoconfig script was missing! It was sorta handy for setting up things on boot, as well as creating /dev/xxx devices. On my gentoo 2005/6, I've got

DELL init.d # pwd
/etc/init.d
DELL init.d # ls -al auto*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3573 Nov 23 2004 autoconfig
DELL init.d #

But on my new machine, nil.

x235 init.d # pwd
/etc/init.d
x235 init.d # ls -al a*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 606 Jul 30 18:27 apcupsd
x235 init.d #

All in all, im missing about 30 scripts in the directory. I followed the gentoo handbook to get the system running however having done this in the past I may have inadvertantly skipped something I shouldn't have.

Anyone have any idea if it's something that's been disco'd or is it a case of me not rtfm ? :)

Thanks

Jonathan
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used gentoo since 2004 and I have never (or do not remember) seen this script. It was probably with an old version of baselayout but is not there now, probably because we use udev instead of devfs now.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All in all, im missing about 30 scripts in the directory.

Most of these scripts are there because of you emerge a package. I am not sure what you are missing but one way to find out where some script came from on the old system is to emerge gentoolkit and then do a

Code:
equery belongs <somefile>

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Xanadu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off:

Quote:
$ emerge -pvD app-misc/livecd-tools

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies a
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "app-misc/livecd-tools" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- app-misc/livecd-tools-1.0.40 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> (20 Feb 2008)
# Masking these so people will quit installing them on their systems. These
# packages are designed for use on the LiveCD only and will do unspeakably
# horrible and unexpected things on a normal system. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

That said, Why you had it on your systems is beyond me since I've been using Gentoo since a beta version of "1.0" (circa late 2001 or early 2002, I think) and have never had it there.

As for your /dev nodes being created, that's what udev is for. Is your system like this:

Code:
# rc-status boot
Runlevel: boot
 acpid                                                                                                         [ started  ]
 alsasound                                                                                                     [ started  ]
 bootmisc                                                                                                      [ started  ]
 checkfs                                                                                                       [ started  ]
 checkroot                                                                                                     [ started  ]
 clock                                                                                                         [ started  ]
 consolefont                                                                                                   [ started  ]
 cpufrequtils                                                                                                  [ started  ]
 [b]dbus[/b]                                                                                                   [ started  ]
 fbcondecor                                                                                                    [ started  ]
 [b]hald[/b]                                                                                                   [ started  ]
 hibernate-cleanup                                                                                             [ started  ]
 hostname                                                                                                      [ started  ]
 keymaps                                                                                                       [ started  ]
 linux-logo                                                                                                    [ started  ]
 localmount                                                                                                    [ started  ]
 modules                                                                                                       [ started  ]
 net.lo                                                                                                        [ started  ]
 numlock                                                                                                       [ started  ]
 rmnologin                                                                                                     [ started  ]
 syslog-ng                                                                                                     [ started  ]
 uptimed                                                                                                       [ started  ]
 urandom                                                                                                       [ started  ]

(note the bold ones)

They take cre of setting up hardware and their /dev nodes. If they aren't , then chances are good that you don't have the modules built for your hardware (or built in the kernel, of course).

The better question is: What hardware is NOT being shown in /dev and/or not being detected?

-David Bowie
jc179
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
Quote:
All in all, im missing about 30 scripts in the directory.

Most of these scripts are there because of you emerge a package. I am not sure what you are missing but one way to find out where some script came from on the old system is to emerge gentoolkit and then do a

Code:
equery belongs <somefile>

Thanks for the info and time to reply! I didn't know about "equery".
DELL init.d # emerge gentoolkit
--- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask: =www-client/opera-9.50_beta2_p*
--- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask: =www-client/opera-9.50_beta2_pre*
Calculating dependencies /
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "sys-libs/db:4.4".

I think its time to redo this machine ... :|.

Thanks also Xanadu for the info. I have no idea how that got to be on my machine. I obviously put it there messing around with something!

My problem which I thought the autoconfig script would fix is why I connect a usb device (thumb drive or hdd) and load usb core, storage and the ehci driver, it detects the device but does not create the /dev/sdx block device. So I've tried making it with mknod which i've had some success with doing. I was under the nieve impressing that the autoconf script would pick it up on boot and create the device for me since loading /unloading the module and trying various walk throughs didn't help :\

this is usually what I get. It picks the device up and sits there.

I have all modules as loadable modules instead of compiled directly into the kernel....

Anyways It could be completely wrong. [/code][/quote]

Code:

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:02.2[C] -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
ehci_hcd 0000:02:02.2: EHCI Host Controller
ehci_hcd 0000:02:02.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ehci_hcd 0000:02:02.2: irq 20, io mem 0xfbffdc00
ehci_hcd 0000:02:02.2: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 5 ports detected
usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi8 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usb 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi9 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices

Edit: forgot this:
I don't see the two you bolded in the boot run level, I take it I should just add them?

Thanks

Code:

x235 ~ # rc-status boot
 bootmisc                                                           [ started  ]
 checkfs                                                            [ started  ]
 checkroot                                                          [ started  ]
 clock                                                              [ started  ]
 consolefont                                                        [ started  ]
 hostname                                                           [ started  ]
 keymaps                                                            [ started  ]
 localmount                                                         [ started  ]
 modules                                                            [ started  ]
 net.lo                                                             [ started  ]
 rmnologin                                                          [ started  ]
 urandom                                                            [ started  ]
x235 ~ #

Xanadu wrote:

First off:

Quote:
$ emerge -pvD app-misc/livecd-tools

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies a
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "app-misc/livecd-tools" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- app-misc/livecd-tools-1.0.40 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> (20 Feb 2008)
# Masking these so people will quit installing them on their systems. These
# packages are designed for use on the LiveCD only and will do unspeakably
# horrible and unexpected things on a normal system. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

That said, Why you had it on your systems is beyond me since I've been using Gentoo since a beta version of "1.0" (circa late 2001 or early 2002, I think) and have never had it there.

As for your /dev nodes being created, that's what udev is for. Is your system like this:

Code:
# rc-status boot
acpid [ started ]
alsasound [ started ]
bootmisc [ started ]
checkfs [ started ]
checkroot [ started ]
clock [ started ]
consolefont [ started ]
cpufrequtils [ started ]
dbus [ started ]
fbcondecor [ started ]
hald [ started ]
hibernate-cleanup [ started ]
hostname [ started ]
keymaps [ started ]
linux-logo [ started ]
localmount [ started ]
modules [ started ]
net.lo [ started ]
numlock [ started ]
rmnologin [ started ]
syslog-ng [ started ]
uptimed [ started ]
urandom [ started ]

(note the bold ones)

They take cre of setting up hardware and their /dev nodes. If they aren't , then chances are good that you don't have the modules built for your hardware (or built in the kernel, of course).

The better question is: What hardware is NOT being shown in /dev and/or not being detected?

drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jc179 wrote:

Thanks for the info and time to reply! I didn't know about "equery".
DELL init.d # emerge gentoolkit
--- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask: =www-client/opera-9.50_beta2_p*
--- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask: =www-client/opera-9.50_beta2_pre*
Calculating dependencies /
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "sys-libs/db:4.4".

I think its time to redo this machine ... :|.

Neither of these errors are anything to really worry about.

The invalid atom lines can be fixed by shortening the line (in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask) to

=www-client/opera-9.50*

The other error is that you probably need to do an emerge --sync

John

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: